Green Cube RC calibration

Reaction score
I took advantage of the long weekend to finally upgrade my Solo to green cube. After a few false starts on Monday morning I was able to get it to take off. However the aircraft yawed with hands off the sticks and it was basically impossible to null it out. I did two short hover tests in the driveway. The second flight the yaw was so bad it wouldn't power down when on the ground and it skidded across into the curb, breaking the props and causing a flip. Unfortunately that was the last set of props so more on the way, but until then it's grounded. I'll work on downloading logs this evening but would like to know what to look for.

The way it behaved it seemed like the right stick wasn't responding correctly. I had to go full stop just to get the aircraft to move at all in one direction but the slightest bump in the direction it was drifting would move it pretty quickly in that direction. The aircraft did move in the direction I wanted, just not very well. I went through the RC calibration again after the first flight and it didn't seem to make a difference. Also noticed that many of the performance settings were set to minimums by default, but I thought that might be OK given it was a test flight so I didn't change them. While setting up, RC5 Trim and RC8 Trim indicated errors outside of the default range. I couldn't find anything that seems to be affected by them so I manually adjusted the settings, which is why I'm focusing on the remote. Probably should have done a little more research before screwing with the numbers, but you know how it is sometimes...

Anyway, just wanted to confirm I'm on the right track. No damage to the Solo, just stinks that I used up my last set of props on a test flight. So far I'm really impressed with the Green Cube upgrade even though it's been a little frustrating getting things calibrated and set to the point it will take off.

Which firmware? Using Solex?

If yes to both,I would reset parameters.

Open solo? That should have been part of first question...

ArduCopter 3.6.3 and 3.7 controller. Using SidePilot and Mission Planner for configuration.

Last edited:
ArduCopter 3.6.3 and 3.7 controller. Using SidePilot and Mission Planner for configuration.

Is that all you installed? If so, that's why it isn't working. You haven't actually installed anything that needs to be installed for this to work. So I'm also presuming you did not use the instructions for this install? The instructions for Open Solo and Green Cubes are in the link in my signature.

BUT, since you've already installed the cube, those instructions are now all out of order. DO NOT DO A PARAMETER RESET!! You should have installed Open Solo first, then the green cube. But since the Green Cube is already in and thankfully communicating, here is what I suggest you do. Follow the instructions under For stock solos and previously installed and working green cubes, go straight to the Open Solo installation procedures. You'd obviously select the instructions for SidePilot. Do not do the new green cube install since you've already ham fisted it past that point.

Since the cube is connected and working, the installation procedure for Open Solo should work normally. It will detect that you have the green cube in there already, and install ArduCopter 3.5.4 which was the release version of ArduCopter at the time. It has all of the Solo's required default parameters baked in. Once everything is complete and working properly, you can install the ArduCopter 3.6 or 3.7-dev firmware if you want.

Reactions: Wetstone
Right. Installed Open Solo, then installed the Green Cube. Then reinstalled Open Solo, ArduCopter 3.6, then the parameters file (as per one of the many conflicting instruction blogs I came across).

Is that all you installed? If so, that's why it isn't working. You haven't actually installed anything that needs to be installed for this to work. So I'm also presuming you did not use the instructions for this install? The instructions for Open Solo and Green Cubes are in the link in my signature.

BUT, since you've already installed the cube, those instructions are now all out of order. DO NOT DO A PARAMETER RESET!! You should have installed Open Solo first, then the green cube. But since the Green Cube is already in and thankfully communicating, here is what I suggest you do. Follow the instructions under For stock solos and previously installed and working green cubes, go straight to the Open Solo installation procedures. You'd obviously select the instructions for SidePilot. Do not do the new green cube install since you've already ham fisted it past that point.

Since the cube is connected and working, the installation procedure for Open Solo should work normally. It will detect that you have the green cube in there already, and install ArduCopter 3.5.4 which was the release version of ArduCopter at the time. It has all of the Solo's required default parameters baked in. Once everything is complete and working properly, you can install the ArduCopter 3.6 or 3.7-dev firmware if you want.

Right. Installed Open Solo, then installed the Green Cube. Then reinstalled Open Solo, ArduCopter 3.6, then the parameters file (as per one of the many conflicting instruction blogs I came across).
Fortunately you happen to be conversing with THE authority on this subject. Matt's a little rough round the edges occasionally but he'll nearly always get you sorted

Fortunately you happen to be conversing with THE authority on this subject. Matt's a little rough round the edges occasionally but he'll nearly always get you sorted

That's good to know. And he brings back memories of the good old days of Mandrake Linux. :)

After running the calibration it seems to be flying normally. Even in a somewhat heavy wind it maintained a mostly stable position. Thank you for the assistance.

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo