Grayed-out record button and 4-bars button

Reaction score
Heyo! First post here, so feel free to let me know if my post is in the wrong spot...

Just recently got a brand new 3DR and have been controlling it with Solex app. I'm loving the user experience and features provided in this app, but I still haven't gotten a chance to take mid-flight media through the app. Whenever I go into the flight control view (the little airplane button), the big red record button off to the right is completely grayed out and unpressable. The same is happening to the smaller 4-bar button to the lower left of the record button. Any ideas?

I've already triple checked that my Mavlink Shutter checkbox is not checked, since it was a solution I pretty commonly found online.

Thankfully, I'm still getting a video feed from the GoPro to my Solex app so I can still fly that way. My fix for now has been plugging the GoPro in as usual, but instead manually pushing the record button before takeoff to record my missions. However, it would be amazing if I could use this app to the fullest and take pictures, live adjust exposure, and so on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by both my Solo and its pilot. :)

My GoPro Hero 4 Silver, Solo Controller, drone, and app are up to date as of 7/30/2020.

Does Solex have a "GoPro Model" setting? The 3DR Solo app's setting looks like this:

model4s.png

I'm asking because when the wrong model is selected in that app, the record button gets grayed out. So maybe a similar setting is necessary in Solex. Just guessing.

Reactions: RedEyeJedi
Does Solex have a "GoPro Model" setting? The 3DR Solo app's setting looks like this:

model4s.png

I'm asking because when the wrong model is selected in that app, the record button gets grayed out. So maybe a similar setting is necessary in Solex. Just guessing.
It does, but unfortunately that setting seems to only be in the 4-bar setting menu. Unless there's another way to access it that I haven't been able to find?

Reactions: RedEyeJedi
It does, but unfortunately that setting seems to only be in the 4-bar setting menu. Unless there's another way to access it that I haven't been able to find?
I'm experiencing the same problem... Were you able to figure out how to reach the settings to change? If so do you think you could help me out?

I'd like to add myself to the list of folk experiencing this issue.

Background.

I purchased a new and unused Solo (manufactures seals still intact) last week. I installed Solex and Opensolo4 and performed all calibrations. Installed a Gopro Hero4 Black into the fixed mount. Video via the HDMI output without issues.

My smart devices are a Huawei P30Lite and Huawei M5 8Lite.

Yesterday I received the Solo Gimbal, again new and unused. Connection was straight forward.

Again Video is perfect via the HDMI but I have no camera control. Using an older phone (Samsung S7) I'm able to run the original 3DR APP which prompts me to select my camera. Even after doing this the onscreen controls are greyed out.

Thinking that maybe the APP or the Solex APP might not have installed correctly I went through the routine again and still no control of the Gopro available.

I even resorted to installing Opensolo3, first via SSH/SCP and then by installing the image files direct to the SD cards. Still no joy.

Currently I'm back to using OpenSolo4 on the latest Solex APP.

The Gopro Hero4 Black is currently on V5 of its firmware. I'm assuming the rear serial and USB connections are good as I can access video via the USB port and rear connector on a DJI Gimbal mounted on my Hex and a Tarot 2D mounted on my Xugong-2-Pro. I can also access the camera functions using the optional display back.

I hope their is a solution to this as my primary interest is still photography and setting timer on the Gopro to randomly snap is not the best method.

Regards

Nidge.

Hi Nidge,

I just read another response to our mutual problem. It was a similar question I posted back in 2018. The reply I received was that if the GoPro has been updated to a more recent version, then on/off and camera control functionality disappear. The solution is to roll back the GoPro firmware to a version that plays nice with the Solo app. I haven't tried to do this process yet and may not given other priorities, but see if you are able to confirm this solution. Best -- Carlos

Hi Nidge,

I just read another response to our mutual problem. It was a similar question I posted back in 2018. The reply I received was that if the GoPro has been updated to a more recent version, then on/off and camera control functionality disappear. The solution is to roll back the GoPro firmware to a version that plays nice with the Solo app. I haven't tried to do this process yet and may not given other priorities, but see if you are able to confirm this solution. Best -- Carlos
Thank you for the suggestion but I’ve already tried a bunch of different firmwares on different GPH4B’s.

I posed the same question in the Solex Facebook group and one suggestion was to check the soldering of the data cable to the main board of the Solo. The user whom suggested this had the same problem I’m currently experiencing. When he removed his board and the foam dampening from the underside he found one or more cracked solder joints. I tested continuity on my board from the top and I found it difficult to get a reading on some connections which I attributed to not having the probes making proper contact. On reflection this could indicate one or more cold and intermittent solder joints.

The problem could be created during the manufacturing process as this cable was hand soldered using lead free solder (I hate that hippy crap stuff) which does crack if you don’t use it correctly as it cools too quickly and clumps. I intend to remove the board from my Solo and remove all the hand soldered stuff and replace with quality 60/40 Leaded solder.

Hi Nidge,

Well... I removed the data cable. Removed all the old solder. Re-soldered the cable to the motherboard. and... still no control of any of my Gopro4's, on any firmware version.

I still think that because neither the Solo or gimbal had been used with any firmware other than OpenSolo4 that Solex and/or OpenSolo truly see that the gimbal and Gopro are actually attached.

Back to the drawing board for more prodding and poking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986