GPS Location?

Reaction score
Been thinking about upgrading my GPS and like the idea of it being mounted externally. Is there a reason or issue why the GPS would need to be on the forward half of Solo? Either the mRo or Here+, side or rear mounted.

Compass in leg seems to work fine, so this would be a GPS only application...maybe. I guess my question, is it an aerodynamic, balance, electronic, magnetic or sky exposure related consideration...where a module ends up on a bird.

Just looking outside the box...

There's really no need to mount it externally. The MROBOTICS 8 is a simple install, just plug it in - and you'll likely get 20 satellites.

i think the position is quiet perfect in terms of sky exposure and EM interference
could not think about an other postion, except one with a long pole, but this is unpracticable

i think the position is quiet perfect in terms of sky exposure and EM interference
could not think about an other postion, except one with a long pole, but this is unpracticable

AWAX Solo lol

You could mount it anywhere there is space, but for the Solo keeping it near the front reduces the cable length and keeps the antenna away from the battery mount. I've seen folks mounting a Here on a mast basically over the stock location. Just need to ensure you stay out of the prop arc.

One of the user on FB is building 12" leads for what I assume the Here+, for GPS and Compass. Reasonable length doesn't appear to be an issue.

I agree the forward placement is ideal as you explained. But was looking to re-locate for a co-purpose. I understand the prop and battery clearance needs. Again, answering questions before I dive in too far.

You have to have a good view of the sky, so it needs to be top mounted.

If your GPS is at the higher than the rest of your aircraft, that is ideal. Being removed from RF is a good thing as well. GPS signals are extremely weak. The guys doing the Here install over there are using the Here compass as well, for much the same reasons...

Reactions: RichWest
Yep, seems to be the latest mod since it was released. Just appears to be bulky in size, at least from the photos. Like speatuk mentioned, AWAC'd size....

I guess my question and purpose is to balance out the weight of the bird. I know it's not much, but every bit counts. I flew with 3oz hanging off the tail of the bird for about 3 months last year, stability of the camera had improved with that weight. If I'm adding this feature, might as well place it where there is a dual benefit...

TBH,
I have the MRO and I have never had any form of GPS glitch. I think I will wait to see how the consensus goes.

Yep, seems to be the latest mod since it was released. Just appears to be bulky in size, at least from the photos. Like speatuk mentioned, AWAC'd size....

I guess my question and purpose is to balance out the weight of the bird. I know it's not much, but every bit counts. I flew with 3oz hanging off the tail of the bird for about 3 months last year, stability of the camera had improved with that weight. If I'm adding this feature, might as well place it where there is a dual benefit...

The CG is not trivial. My guess is that with the gimbal and hero installed, that the CG is pretty close to the center of the aircraft. I have never tested that.

I dont know enough about quadcopters to know if centered CG is ideal. I would think for hovering, it would be, but under any movement, the work of the motors becomes unequal anyway, an so I am less sure. If the CG is centered, I could see it reducing vibration when hovering, since motors are working more evenly.

I am guessing that having it (slightly) forward would increase acceleration when pitching forward, and possibly increase top speed, if when all motors are at maximum, the CG resulted in the ideal forward pitch for speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc