GPS Fix Solo and Questions

...If the reason it crashed was a motor failure or some unrelated hardware failure, they would honor it.
...keep the faith, brother. :) You know they are getting a bit stingy lately, and this could give them the 'out' - especially as time marches on. I wouldn't mind hearing of specific events that included Solo replacement while flying an mRobitics GPS.

Hello-

I'm a complete newbie to drones and super excited to finally have made the plunge.

I just ordered a 3DR Solo and waiting for it to arrive. I understand 3DR is dropping support, etc. but for the price and quality for my first drone, feel like it can't be beat.

I have a couple of question:

I see You Tube videos on the GPS fix. Since my 3DR is new, has 3DR already implemented those fixes? Or is that something I would need to do?

Should I buy range extenders, if so, does anyone have an recommendations?

Thanks to all,
Quantum

Heyo Quantum!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to some of your questions..

I did the 'cardboard' GPS fix on my Solo for the brief time between getting it and having the V2 GPS shield arrive in the mail from 3DR. I had three flights before the cardboard insert and where I would notice GPS numbers fluctuating a lot before the cardboard, they lessened once I put it in. Specifically it was # of satellites that would fluctuate.

The V2 GPS shield gave me (I think), more satellite locks and far fewer drop outs. Great upgrade.

I have recently purchased the mRobotics Neo-M8N GPS (plug and play), and its friggin fantastic! Nearly doubled my locked satellites and the accuracy improved by aprox .4-.6 . I made a really simple YouTube video of the install (also shows the V2 GPS shield).

I've seen posts here that 3DR made two rev of stock GPS and that B is in many ways superior (I'm not an expert on this at all). But wanted to note that I have/had a Rev A stock GPS.

For range I picked up some cheap router antenna (8.5db) made by tplink and they have improved things from the stock antenna for $10 (the Alpha's are spoken of often and do a similar thing).

Needless to say though; my next Solo upgrade will be the FPVLR antenna so highly spoken of on this forum. Can't wait for that :)

Anyhow.. I've made a few (relatively boring) videos regarding solo (installing upgrades and accessories) feel free to check em out and let me know what you decide to get up to with your solo!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDOuuqA5k4ulcpC9dTSJ9fY7jDZ_6VTq-

Reactions: Maddog
...keep the faith, brother. :) You know they are getting a bit stingy lately, and this could give them the 'out' - especially as time marches on. I wouldn't mind hearing of specific events that included Solo replacement while flying an mRobitics GPS.
I agree with you! I bough my Solo a couple of months ago. Since I received it Solo shows inaccurate Altitude when it lands (3-10 m. AGL). Talked to Gio (3DR CS) several times. Sent him my t-logs (from Solo's controller) and afterwards my logs from Solo. He analysed them, saw the difference between Solo's barometer and accelerometer readings and said this was due to different temperature (Solo and outside) which affects barometer and the ASL altitude that I am flying Solo at. His conclusion was that my Solo is OK. I have flown and still fly a fixed wing UAV with ArkBird Autopilot (times cheaper than Solo's PixHawk) and never had an altitude reading more than 1 m. at landing. Mine understanding is that my Solo has a faulty barometer/autopilot. Still 3DR would not honour changing it under warranty.

There are other Pixhawk 2.0 modules you could easily buy and swap out since they're not going to warranty replace it. If you're concerned about it, that's the way I would go.

There are other Pixhawk 2.0 modules you could easily buy and swap out since they're not going to warranty replace it. If you're concerned about it, that's the way I would go.
Thanks! Could you please post some links to Pixhawk modules (barometer in particular).

I bought the mrobotics drop in as well and flew it this evening.... I did do 2 things- I cut a very small piece of clear plastic from a small tuperware lid and placed it between the shield and the chip and also added very small (tiny) o-rings on each side of the GPS board so that it is isolated from the airframe... I got 16 satellites and no less than 12 once I took off.

Hello-

I'm a complete newbie to drones and super excited to finally have made the plunge.

I just ordered a 3DR Solo and waiting for it to arrive. I understand 3DR is dropping support, etc. but for the price and quality for my first drone, feel like it can't be beat.

I have a couple of question:

I see You Tube videos on the GPS fix. Since my 3DR is new, has 3DR already implemented those fixes? Or is that something I would need to do?

Should I buy range extenders, if so, does anyone have an recommendations?

Lastly, as there seems some confusion, will there be any more software updates provided by 3DR? or are they already completely done? Is there any talk of a 3rd party to continue the development?

Thanks to all,
Quantum
If you are the first time Solo owner, I believe you are better off use the money to purchase an extra Solo, Learn to fly the Solo like you stole it. When you become the master of flying, then you can think about equipment upgrade.

...Since I received it Solo shows inaccurate Altitude when it lands (3-10 m. AGL). Talked to Gio (3DR CS) several times. Sent him my t-logs... ...His conclusion was that my Solo is OK... ...Still 3DR would not honour changing it under warranty.
The barometer misreading won't affect flight anyway as @Jubalr posts explain to you here:
Altitude incorrect

The barometer misreading won't affect flight anyway as @Jubalr posts explain to you here:
Altitude incorrect
Thanks for reminding me of Jubalr's post.
But this is not enough. At least for me!
I experience more problems than just Safe RTH Altitude.
Several times when I made Selfies Solo would go back and then return to me on a lower height. Once it almost got into the high grass/bushes.
Several times when I made Orbit around my car Solo would not hold its altitude when circling, but went down and almost touched ground. I needed to make some throttle input to save him.
I discussed my problems in Altitude incorrect post , but no one seemed to have experienced them.
P.S. Please excuse me for posting off-topic.

The GPS upgrade from mRobotics is plug and play. If you need to send it back to 3DR, unplug your nice new GPS and put the old one back in. You will not be getting the same unit back, so unless you want to donate you upgrade part to 3DR, just remove it and put the old one in it before you ship it back. Same goes for the new shield if you buy that, also highly recommended btw.

3DR will decide whether the issue is under warranty based on the log files presuming it is a malfunction crash. There is nothing in the log files that indicates the GPS is not stock. It is not an issue. If you are having issues getting a timely GPS lock, or having issues keeping a good GPS lock, I highly recommend the mRobotics GPS. FYI, the guy who made the mRobotics is a former 3DR employee that helped design the solo in the first place. His GPS upgrade is an outstanding product.
mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M