GPS Fix Solo and Questions

Reaction score
Hello-

I'm a complete newbie to drones and super excited to finally have made the plunge.

I just ordered a 3DR Solo and waiting for it to arrive. I understand 3DR is dropping support, etc. but for the price and quality for my first drone, feel like it can't be beat.

I have a couple of question:

I see You Tube videos on the GPS fix. Since my 3DR is new, has 3DR already implemented those fixes? Or is that something I would need to do?

Should I buy range extenders, if so, does anyone have an recommendations?

Lastly, as there seems some confusion, will there be any more software updates provided by 3DR? or are they already completely done? Is there any talk of a 3rd party to continue the development?

Thanks to all,
Quantum

Since Solo is such a bargain I would take those savings and apply them to some basic upgrades.

Get the M8 GPS upgrade along with the proper shield now available. I wouldn't waste my time with the cardboard upgrade.

Get some decent antennas I use the FPVLR's and they perform well for me.

Swap the props out for 11 inch APC props if you can and you will get longer flight times plus quieter operation. Lubricate the motors with the proper oil occasionally and you will notice smoother and quieter operation also.

I have hundreds of flights on my original Solo and I just purchased a second from Best Buy and intend to make the same mods.

Take care of your batteries do not store them at full charge or empty and they will last longer; I had a few go bad after I would charge them and not fly for a few days. Fortunately batteries are inexpensive now so you can buy spares.

Get the M8 GPS upgrade along with the proper shield now available. I wouldn't waste my time with the cardboard upgrade.

Just be aware that any physical upgrades you make will void the warranty. So the GPS upgrade will void it and I'm not sure about the props. The GPS shield will not void the warranty if you purchase the 3DR shield and is a good idea.
Maybe someone on the group will post a working Promo code to to get it at half price.

Warranty LOL. Who knows if 3dr will be around next year. I sent my Solo in after the warranty expired and received excellent service. At $379 I purchased a spare and will purchase another.

Well, I'm glad I hadn't modded mine. I did send mine in after a suspicious crash that destroyed it. After reviewing the logs they sent me a replacement.

When I sent mine in for an IMU replacement I was out of warranty, had the GPS mod and FPVLR's installed. 3dr replaced the IMU and all 4 motor pods no charge.

When I sent mine in for an IMU replacement I was out of warranty, had the GPS mod and FPVLR's installed. 3dr replaced the IMU and all 4 motor pods no charge.
That's great news..Hopefully that will continue. I haven't done the GPS upgrade yet because of the warranty. After talking to 3DR and them telling me that even using a different app will void warranty I've held off.
I've read elsewhere that if they replace a Solo under warranty the replacement Warranty is only good for 90 days.
If that's the case them mine is no longer under warranty.

Hello-

I'm a complete newbie to drones and super excited to finally have made the plunge.

I just ordered a 3DR Solo and waiting for it to arrive. I understand 3DR is dropping support, etc. but for the price and quality for my first drone, feel like it can't be beat.

I have a couple of question:

I see You Tube videos on the GPS fix. Since my 3DR is new, has 3DR already implemented those fixes? Or is that something I would need to do?

Should I buy range extenders, if so, does anyone have an recommendations?

Lastly, as there seems some confusion, will there be any more software updates provided by 3DR? or are they already completely done? Is there any talk of a 3rd party to continue the development?

Thanks to all,
Quantum
I would wait until you fly it some before buying any upgrades. Not everybody needs them.

There will be no more software updates from 3DR- 3rd party development is up in the air.

There is an excellent 3rd party program for Android called Solex which you can use instead of the 3DR Solo app.

Reactions: FinniKris
The GPS upgrade from mRobotics is plug and play. If you need to send it back to 3DR, unplug your nice new GPS and put the old one back in. You will not be getting the same unit back, so unless you want to donate you upgrade part to 3DR, just remove it and put the old one in it before you ship it back. Same goes for the new shield if you buy that, also highly recommended btw.

3DR will decide whether the issue is under warranty based on the log files presuming it is a malfunction crash. There is nothing in the log files that indicates the GPS is not stock. It is not an issue. If you are having issues getting a timely GPS lock, or having issues keeping a good GPS lock, I highly recommend the mRobotics GPS. FYI, the guy who made the mRobotics is a former 3DR employee that helped design the solo in the first place. His GPS upgrade is an outstanding product.

Reactions: FinniKris
Take care of your batteries do not store them at full charge or empty and they will last longer; I had a few go bad after I would charge them and not fly for a few days. Fortunately batteries are inexpensive now so you can buy spares.

Really? What causes them to go bad at a full charge and sitting? How do you drain them?

Really? What causes them to go bad at a full charge and sitting? How do you drain them?
I've got nine batteries. To store them I charge them fully and put them away. They automatically discharge to roughly 50 percent and stay there almost indefinitely. I've never had a problem or bad battery (or cell).

Reactions: Jubalr
I've got nine batteries. To store them I charge them fully and put them away. They automatically discharge to roughly 50 percent and stay there almost indefinitely. I've never had a problem or bad battery (or cell).

Okay cool. I was really out there flying Solo trying to drain the batteries. Have you noticed a drop in battery life or anything?

Okay cool. I was really out there flying Solo trying to drain the batteries. Have you noticed a drop in battery life or anything?
Nope, not at all. My original three batteries are now over a year old and still have about 90 percent of their original capacity, about normal for Lipos.

The GPS upgrade from mRobotics is plug and play. There is nothing in the log files that indicates the GPS is not stock.
Don't those logs contain satellite numbers and/or HDOP? Solo stock GPS units are incapable of achieving the numbers of mRobotics'.

Don't those logs contain satellite numbers and/or HDOP? Solo stock GPS units are incapable of achieving the numbers of mRobotics'.
That is correct. Anything over 14 sats and they will know it wasn't the stock GPS. But that should only be an issue if the cause of the crash was determined to be a GPS issue. A loss of motor/ESC etc they have generally been good about covering anyway.

Solo batteries do not self discharge(at least intentionally) like DJI smart batteries do. You will shorten the batteries life storing at full charge. It's widely accepted to store the batteries at 50%.

Solo batteries do not self discharge(at least intentionally) like DJI smart batteries do. You will shorten the batteries life storing at full charge. It's widely accepted to store the batteries at 50%.
Umm, but they do indeed discharge themselves. It's very very reliable. In approximately one week, give or take a couple of days, they will be at roughly 50 percent and stay there.
I've used LiPo batteries since they became commercially available and have put together dozens and dozens of various sized packs from single cells of varying sizes. Those needed to be tended with care and kept at proper levels.
But in my experience Solo batteries do indeed self-level.

It was debated early on whether Solo batteries had a self discharge circuit and the answer was no, at least not an active circuit like Phantom batteries. Yes they do discharge but not in a controlled manner.

If I charge new batteries and don't fly for a week they go to about 80%; my old batteries will go to about 50% after a week.

I definitely notice degradation in batteries that are not cared for. I use a light bulb to discharge. As one guy described it a battery is like an electrical balloon, storing them full means higher electrical pressure. You want to relax the baloon for lower stress.

I do notice my self discharging Phantom batteries protect themselves well even when I don't. I guess DJI does some things right.

That is correct. Anything over 14 sats and they will know it wasn't the stock GPS. But that should only be an issue if the cause of the crash was determined to be a GPS issue. A loss of motor/ESC etc they have generally been good about covering anyway.
Good point. Never thought of that, which would give it away. But I agree, they do not look for a reason not to cover it. If the reason it crashed was a motor failure or some unrelated hardware failure, they would honor it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anomaly.Filmworks