GoPro Hero 4 Black record issue

All these suggestions are good, but I and a number of other people are using best practices (fast GoPro recommended card, format in camera, stop recording before shutting down Solo, etc.) and have had numerous corrupt files that seem to be caused by something shutting down the recording in mid flight. I posted about this a week ago on the FB Solo group and a number of other people reported the same problem. In that thread Philip of 3DR said they were looking into it.

I posted again today and more people chimed in. I do think this is a problem

I saw the threads (including Rowse). Lets take things a piece at a time. It is always good when troubleshooting to cut your problem in half. I learned this long ago in tech school. From what you have said (partially in the other threads) is that you have narrowed it down to (I believe) the GoPro being powered down (and thus the recording stopped abnormally).

If the Solo is the culprit then it has to be turning off the GoPro. If the GoPro turns off (or otherwise corrupts files) without Solo, then it is the GoPro. Depending on which, you can follow that diagnostic path, but it is important to try and determine which. I know that sounds simplistic, but it is an important step not to skip.

I know it may also sound crazy, but try leaving the GoPro in the gimbal without connecting it to the bus on the back. That way you keep as much the same as possible, and remove only one possibility. Put a piece of thick tape over the buss connector so that you know it isn't connected. Tape the Gopro in if you have to. Connect the hdmi connector to the gimbal as usual. Turn on the GoPro and recording. Fly several flights this way.

Put it back to normal. Fly the same number of flights. Ideally in the same conditions, temperature etc.

Take it out of the Solo, put it in something to insulate it slightly (just like the gimbal) and plug it in to power, then let it record a while.

By doing thesae things, you are attempting to keep as much the same as possible, while eliminating only one possibility.

I know you are fairly convinced that it is the Solo/Gimbal, and it is possible, but given that there are only a few (two I think) other reporting this, the details of which are a little sketchy, and this is a also known issue with some (bad) GoPro's and cards (look at the GoPro forums) I would make sure I had a troubleshooting strategy that includes the GoPro as a possibility.

I understand the idea of "what has changed?" and that is useful to try and understand what is happening, but it isn't always right, and many times people put to much weight on it, concentrating only on what has changed. As they say "correlation is not causation" and sometimes a problem will show up at the same time as a change, just by chance....

As I mentioned on another thread, I have had over a dozen GoPro's, and I have had two that did this. One did it only after a while, and only when it was plugged in and operating (after about 1/2 hour) and as it turns out was more temperature sensitive over time. I originally thought it was a firmware update, as it started showing up (or at least i noticed it first) after that. In the end, it got steadily worse, and I actually put that one in the refridgerator as a troubleshooting step to isolate that behavior (it would reliably work well if it was cold).

The trick is to isolate the behavior and cut the problem in half. Another way to do that in this case is to use another GoPro (borrowed if necessary). Again, just as a troubleshooing step to see if the problem follows the Solo or GoPro... You could try another Solo, but that is a little tougher to get.

I do know that if you were to get a GoPro at Best Buy, you would have at least 72 hours to return it.... With some planning, you would have enough time to test them side by side, which might be very instructive.

Just sayin ;)

Last edited:
This has happened since the last solo firmware update I take it? Or you just bought solo/GP?
Mine started happening the first flight AFTER the update. I hate when updates mess things up...

Last night i did another bench test with GP. All went without hiccups. GP recorded at 2.7k 48fps on its own (not attached to gimbal) but also attached to gimbal, i was able to control the record on/off. I also pretended to take off (w/o propellers). All worked well as it did during the first bench test. No freeze ups, no issues. It was too late to actually fly it and test.

Thanks very much for these helpful suggestions. I have started the troubleshooting by recording on the GoPro outside of Solo, and am getting another SD card to test. I will do some of the other things you suggest to try to narrow down the problem, Much appreciated.

Bob

Solo needs to update their firmware to not control the camera, manual is the only way to record a complete flight and the damned Solo many times won't even let you go manual. Solo demanding to control the GoPro is the problem, I need to ba able to disable remote operation in the GoPro so the GoPro tells the Solo to GFIS. My memory card has no issues recording over an hour straight so don't go pointing fingers at the card. Two flights where I thought it was working and both stopped at exactly 1:12 when the live view lost contact or what? So Fricking what if I don;t have live view keep fricken recording stupid Solo.

Reactions: RDA
I recorded a 40 minute video today with the same SD card but the gopro was on my hat, apparently the hat interface works perfectly stop the BS claim of a bad SD card. The GoPro only has issues when connected to solo.
Stupid drone stops Hero4 recording if the radio has a brief interruption. Why? some stupid default? Where is my setting to disable remote camera control, gimbal does its thing fine just leave my camera alone because solo doesn't have a clue how to record 100% of a flight. Stupid thing only works when I manually start record. I found out how to save the corrupted files caused by solo mishandling the GoPro. Pull the camera out of the gimbal, then remove the SD card then remove the gopro battery and reinsert the sd card then power on and the gopro will repair the file that solo hosed up. So two 15 minute flights today and I get 1 to two minutes of video before it malfunctions, third flight I got 6 minutes of the 15 minute flight. I drove many miles to get the footage too.

Hmm, never had a problem with solo recording on my gopro, have however had multiple cases of my gopro freezing up/locking up or not recording video properly when using it in my car for road trips. Found a few solutions that worked.

1: Gopro tell you to reformat the card in your camera, bull! Kept having the same issues again and again. Finally put the card in the PC, ran a "scan disc" on it and it found errors, repaired them, reformatted the card in the pc and then put it in the gopro and formatted again. Worked just fine after that. However every time you get a corrupt video, you will want to do these steps again as the file structure on the card also get's corrupted.

2: Overheating. A lot of the Gopro 4's tend to do this. Factors that add to overheating are.. Strong Sunlight, Recording above 2.7K @ 60 FPS, Using Protune and having your wifi turned on. It got to the stage where when mounting the Gopro in my car window, I'd have the A/C turned on aimed at the camera just to keep it cool (and this was in a skeleton case for cooling!). Mounting outside the car tends to let the wind cool the camera enough, having said that, I would still be weary of recording in 4K with Protune and Wireless turned on.

In the Solo, I usually am recording in 1080P @ 60FPS , Medium FOV, with protune turned on, wireless turned off. The only time I had an issue was when I used a card that had "frozen footage" that I hadn't formatted properly. Did step 1 above, worked just fine after that.

Man, just had this happen to me yesterday. Same story, upgraded from the Hero 3. I know this is an old thread, need to reed through the suggestions.

My SD Card, Hero4 Silver updated and card formatted with the GoPro still same issue. 3DR sand GoPro are incompatible. Stupid Solo default stops recording when it looses communication. No stupid 3DR never stop recording. Don't waste my risky flight by not recording. I only want the gimbal to steady the camera let me use the manual record button on my camera. I have to record without live view because of Hero4 Silver incompatibility with Solo. Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Grey/Red, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA): SANDISK: Computers & Accessories

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado