GoPro Heat

befor the Maj i can stop and run my gopro , since the 2.4 i can't do it !

sorry for my very bad english i'm french

befor the Maj i can stop and run my gopro , since the 2.4 i can't do it !

sorry for my very bad english i'm french
Well, I took 2 years of French in grade school and learned very little meaningful French, so... I am sure your English is better than my French.

With 2.3 and my GPH3+B attached, settings were limited and there was no GP power-up with the Solo. I am not quite clear what functionality you do or do not have, and I haven't tried my GPH3+B since updating to 2.4.1-3 Beta to see if anything changed.

Have you checked this thread? :)
French SOLO Users

thank's Sardg
my problems that i can't change photo or video mode , can't take photo or video by my tablet because the parameter on my tablet are grey , befor the maj i can change parameter with tablet , since the maj it's not possible ...

Have you pulled the battery out of the GoPro and put it back in? That tends to fix GoPros that being uncooperative.

yes i have , I desinstall and reinstall the softare on my tablet , nothing change .....

Pulled the battery from the controller and put it back in? That occasionally helps too. I'm drawing at straws now.

@SPP: I would not talk about Placebo effect as my Gopro 4HB goes off as per High Temp auto protection system it has built in. This has never happened before.

I extracted and reinserted the SD into the slot and temps seem to have lowered when the camera records standing by itself.
I cannot try on the Solo as it is on its way to 3DR for an RMA...

Hi Nick,
Overheat auto shutdown is about temperature rise hitting approx 68C maximum.
So it is ambient related. if now is summer in your region and let say 25-30C as ambient, it will be faster to hit max temperature than months ago when your region was having say cooler 10C - 15C ambient temperature.

As pointed out, the GP working to produce full HD video out via HDMI is a lot of work, almost like doing recording.
The gimbal block heat from radiating out of GP, so it is hotter when in gimbal. At approx 24C temperature rise , in 8-9 minutes, sitting in gimbal with merely HDMI out and not recording, that is a lot of heat.

I extracted and reinserted the SD into the slot and temps seem to have lowered when the camera records standing by itself.
As described above, it's running cooler standing by itself on a table because there is no HDMI connected. If it was sitting on the table with an HDMI plugged in feeding a TV or something, it would heat right back up again.

Not saying it could not have been an SD card issue. I think that's happened before too. But without replicating the circumstances, it's not giving you a complete picture.

I have about 8 various version of SanDisk micro-SD cards, I only use the Ultra-Plus or better due to heating experienced with anything less.

If GP heating was a wide spread issue, everyone would know about it.

FWIW, you should be able to drill the gimbal's GP holder on the top and bottom to allow greater air flow behind the mounted GP. It's been a while since I looked at doing that, but I recall it wouldn't be an issue electrically or structurally. Have no clue if it would effect balance however. I never performed the mod, as a better quality SD was my resolve.

so today I left my Solo on indoor to search for GPS like I always do to drain a battery down to 50%
Now there wasn't SD Card but when I took the gopro out it was pipin' hot! So hot to the point I dropped my gopro taking it out.
Never had this issue before, on the infamous FW v2.4 of course. Hero4 Black with stock battery. Was just idling and crashed.

Reactions: Nick F
The GoPro gets hot when you have the HDMI connector plugged in. The video processor pumping the video out the HDMI gets hot. It always has and always will. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Solo.

Well, something must have changed recently as my Gopro never went automatically off for T
temp issues before...
Nothing has changed. Other than the weather. The video output gets it very close to it's shut off temperature. Weather conditions can push it over that limit if it is sitting still in the sun long enough. The prop wash and wind help once it is in motion.

I think some of the problem is contributed by the gimbal too. The entire back of the GP is against the gimbal surface, which aids in preventing it from dissipating the heat properly. No airflow. How much I don't know, but it's speculation.

I believe the front area around the lens the primary "heat sink", although I use that term loosely. If the back of the gimbal was more of a cage design and allowed air to flow across the back, it certainly wouldn't hurt, but may not accomplish much. Based on how hot it gets just sitting in the open air on a table, it's just a very poor design when it comes to heat dissipation. There likely to be combinations of weather and flight conditions that it can't work properly in.

It's not just when the HDMI is hooked up, it does it with other things too. Turn a room temp gopro 4 on. Go delete a few files off the sd card via gp's menu. Feel the back of the gopro as you're doing it. It takes like 3 seconds to remove the files and the GP gets pretty damn hot, instantly. Just from that. A simple operation that only overwrites the TOC of the card. It's not like it's deleting every bit from the video files, just deleting the file pointers to say "this space can be overwritten". Instantly jumps like 30 or 40 degrees.

But yeah, a heat sink behind a plastic shield (the housing) doesn't really provide very much heat dissipation due to very little airflow actually hitting the heatsink. I've been tempted to just remove the housing to see if that helps. My first 2 flights or so are more or less fine. It's the 3rd or 4th flight where the Gp4 shuts off sometimes due to heat.

In my testing, and that of others, the operating temperature of the GoPro remained virtually unchanged (within a few degrees) whether it was sitting on/idle or on/recording. File read/write doesn't seem to be a major generator of heat beyond what's already there. Unless your card has issues I guess. The only thing that made it get HOT was HDMI video output.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150