GoPro battery drain when left plugged into Solo?

Reaction score
Hey all,

Brand new Hero4 black ed, with brand new GoPro battery. I've discovered that if I leave it OFF but plugged into the HDMI cable on my solo, by the next day the battery is completely dead. I don't know if this is a battery fault, GoPro issue, or Solo problem. Can anyone else confirm/deny my suspicions?

Seems something's wrong with gopro or solo in your case mine stays charged fine plugged in. Can't say my battery last more than a few flights overall but haven't noticed it drain beside the couple times I left it on accidentally.

I cant say for sure as I rarely fly the Solo. However I have always suspected a drain as well. I try to shut it off but often find it dead.

Might be user error on my part so did not think much about it.

Hey all,

Brand new Hero4 black ed, with brand new GoPro battery. I've discovered that if I leave it OFF but plugged into the HDMI cable on my solo, by the next day the battery is completely dead. I don't know if this is a battery fault, GoPro issue, or Solo problem. Can anyone else confirm/deny my suspicions?

Make sure the WiFi setting is set to "off" on the GoPro. It still sends a signal when you turn the GoPro off. This is exactly the situation that happened to me when wifi was still set to "on/GoPro app".

I have the same problem.

EDIT: After further testing, I do NOT have the same problem. I realize that I must have left the GoPro on. I tested it over night while off and still had a full battery.

Last edited:
Somewhere in manual, it reads that Solo keeps the camera charged? Not for sure if it does this with gimbal option, or as it is now? With microHDMI" via the microHDMI

Yes, requires gimbal. Camera will charge via hero port on back.

Ok so not the battery drain issue but since we're talking gopro, anybody else having issues with their sensors? My hero 4 black seems messed up it flashes light and dark consistently when it's getting near sunset and I know it senses it's getting dark but it's over and over nonstop? I tried turning pro tune and the low light off and if I reset my setting it usually stops for a bit but eventually like tonight starts again. It sucks since the best shots I can get usually with the lack of great material near by are dusk and dawn, am I setting something wrong or is there a way to lock it so it doesn't auto adjust?

Thanks Andrew

My hero 4 black seems messed up it flashes light and dark consistently when it's getting near sunset

Hey Andrew. Is this only happening when you're shooting into the sun? If so, you may be experiencing prop shadows on the camera lens. Depending on your frame rate and prop speed, this can be messing up your video optically as the lens is alternatively having light hit it directly and then being in shade.

Just a thought.

Hey Andrew. Is this only happening when you're shooting into the sun? If so, you may be experiencing prop shadows on the camera lens. Depending on your frame rate and prop speed, this can be messing up your video optically as the lens is alternatively having light hit it directly and then being in shade.

Just a thought.

No usually the Suns more or less down or behind clouds latley we've had pretty bad weather for months. It flickers like this in every direction and once it starts it doesn't stop until I land and mess with the Gopro. It's got me baffled I've tried everything I can think of I'm running 1080 @60 in medium like a lot of others recommended last time I had this happen.

Is there any way that the solo connection could somehow affect this even on the video off my sd card? I assumed it was just my stream until I tried to run my video and it was flickering same as my feed was so now I've got no idea, especially since searching hasn't come up with many other hero 4 users with this kind of issue. That's mainly why I'm wondering if solo could cause this but isn't the connection simply a video out or can it go both ways through the micro port were using?

Thanks for the tries any more will be appreciated I keep resetting my camera but this is only a temporary fix.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986