Gimbals. Are they really this scarce?

If for some reason every 3DR solo gimbal on earth becomes inoperative, no one can apply a 3rd party gimbal, I will take my solos and............keep them. Use them for still photography (set up camera on timed lapse mode) or use the drones as trainers. However I still enjoy the carp out of flying my drones! (because ya know, fish are fun...)

Considering the latest generation of 360 cameras and how they have embedded motion compensation and allow us to lock on a target and make the camera's focus follow it, the gimbals will be obsolete soon.

I have two Solos and a gimbal for each and plan to use one with a 360 camera. Since they stream video the only thing missing is a trigger control to make them take a photo or record a movie.

The price for a decent 360 camera revolves between $300 and $500, which is not much different than a gimbal + GoPro.

When the gimbals and batteries run dry...and they will...I'll be moving on. Batteries don't last forever and neither do gimbal motors.

Considering the latest generation of 360 cameras and how they have embedded motion compensation and allow us to lock on a target and make the camera's focus follow it, the gimbals will be obsolete soon.

I have two Solos and a gimbal for each and plan to use one with a 360 camera. Since they stream video the only thing missing is a trigger control to make them take a photo or record a movie.

The price for a decent 360 camera revolves between $300 and $500, which is not much different than a gimbal + GoPro.

For the quality of a 360 camera to reach a gopro hero 4 at 4K is still 4 years too early. 360 is great but it won't be replacing anything anytime soon.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
For the quality of a 360 camera to reach a gopro hero 4 at 4K is still 4 years too early. 360 is great but it won't be replacing anything anytime soon.
The latest 360 generation also does 4K. Furthermore, the GoPros are overhiped. I only got one because of the Solo. I have a Sony action cam that takes much better photos and movies.

The good thing about the 360 cameras is that there are no moving parts to break and some are waterproof. So, if the Solo takes a ditch the camera will be fine. [emoji6]

I have an antique Ming Dynasty vase, they say it's worth a couple of thousand. It's got no moving parts, can I take it out back and play "Catch" with it because if it falls it will be fine?

The latest 360 generation also does 4K. Furthermore, the GoPros are overhiped. I only got one because of the Solo. I have a Sony action cam that takes much better photos and movies.

The good thing about the 360 cameras is that there are no moving parts to break and some are waterproof. So, if the Solo takes a ditch the camera will be fine. [emoji6]

Ofcourse they can do 4K, but that's for the whole area you're looking at, but when you're zooming in (like you're supposed to do) it more becomes a 720-1080p video.
Just checked Sony Action Cam, it looks great and on par with the GoPro Hero 4 Black but wouldn't call it superior.

Those high priced auctions are likely the seller listing that high of a price because they only have 1 or 0 of the items in stock and they dont want to remove the item from ebay listings because they are likely getting more stock sometime in the near future.

As for options to the solo gimbal, storm32 controller is a CLOSE win, no smart shots but there is a guy who has set his up and its working perfectly.

Apparently 3DR was supposed to release the gimbal code to allow third party gimbal development but they haven't done it. If they decide not to then I'd have to move on from Solo if my gimbal ever gives out. I've been eyeing another drone for awhile now...just waiting for the price to drop a bit.

Do you know where there release there code or places where code is found?
I'm trying to collect as much code as possible to investigate if I can combine some projects together.

Do you know where there release there code or places where code is found?
I'm trying to collect as much code as possible to investigate if I can combine some projects together.
Not sure. There's other users on here that know way more than i do, maybe they'll chime in. Pedals2paddles or Pyrate might know.

RichWest and just_bruce are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to 3DR’s gimbal also. It’s the weekend; but eventually someone will throw in the two cents you are looking for-

The gimbal code has not been released and will likely not be released to DIY crowd if it was... Search the forum for Gimbal Code and you'll likely turn up more answers.

The closest approach I'm aware of is @olliw42 efforts with the Storm32 board, which supposedly will provide Smart Shot Pitch control. But then he is using a modified Arducopter code, I believe it is called BetaCopter. It will likely not be integrated into AP. But then still, has no camera setting control from the app.

Best of luck...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela