Gimbal From Best Buy

A frisbee, a child's sling shot, and a baseball are all toys and can take out a window.
I fly toys. :D

toy
noun \ˈtȯi\
: something a child plays with

: something that an adult buys or uses for enjoyment or entertainment

: something that is very small

And each time I fly - I feel that childlike joy!

However if I were a photographer or surveyor making a living off my drone, I wouldn't call it a toy. I might even be a bit offended if someone called my professional tool a "toy." But for me, they are toys! :)
I hope to one day be able to take offense to it being a toy, for now even though it's much less toy like then my p2, it's still really my new toy, and I love it.

One day I hope to make some money with my toys but until then their still well worth the time and money invested to me.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'd love to make some money off my toys too, but for now the pleasure they bring me is worth the investment, just like you.

A bit off topic, but a few years ago I was diagnosed with Cancer, Hodgkin's Lymphoma. As far as cancers go, this is an easy one to cure - but it is the cure that makes you wish you were dead.
They told me to take up a hobby to help with the stress of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. I'm not the type to sit at a desk and collect stamps, I needed something that took my mind off my predicament and that made me happy. I had flown RC planes years before, so I went out and bought an RC plane, then another, then I saw the Phantom 1 advertised. I bought one and was hooked. Every two weeks I had chemo, and in between there were about 5 days where I felt almost normal - I'd spend that time at the flying field flying fixed wings and the P1. Somedays I was so weak that I could barely hold the transmitter. As the chemo progressed I developed neuropathy in my thumbs and fingers and nearly lost all feeling (fully recovered now) in my finger tips. It made it very hard to fly a fixed wing, so the Phantom was all I flew for the last months of treatment.
Looking forward to flying was what got me through those last months of treatment.
That drone was my toy, and all the subsequent ones have filled the same roll.
Cancer has been gone for 3 years now, I'm fully recoverd, and drones will always be a special, sort of sanity saving toy in my mind. Flying was a form of therapy then, and it still serves as a great stress reliever.

I'd love to make some money off my toys too, but for now the pleasure they bring me is worth the investment, just like you.

A bit off topic, but a few years ago I was diagnosed with Cancer, Hodgkin's Lymphoma. As far as cancers go, this is an easy one to cure - but it is the cure that makes you wish you were dead.
They told me to take up a hobby to help with the stress of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. I'm not the type to sit at a desk and collect stamps, I needed something that took my mind off my predicament and that made me happy. I had flown RC planes years before, so I went out and bought an RC plane, then another, then I saw the Phantom 1 advertised. I bought one and was hooked. Every two weeks I had chemo, and in between there were about 5 days where I felt almost normal - I'd spend that time at the flying field flying fixed wings and the P1. Somedays I was so weak that I could barely hold the transmitter. As the chemo progressed I developed neuropathy in my thumbs and fingers and nearly lost all feeling (fully recovered now) in my finger tips. It made it very hard to fly a fixed wing, so the Phantom was all I flew for the last months of treatment.
Looking forward to flying was what got me through those last months of treatment.
That drone was my toy, and all the subsequent ones have filled the same roll.
Cancer has been gone for 3 years now, I'm fully recoverd, and drones will always be a special, sort of sanity saving toy in my mind. Flying was a form of therapy then, and it still serves as a great stress reliever.

Nice I wish these stories and the ones that are keeping kids occupied and off the streets or off drugs were more news worthy to the masses. The folks in this hobby are mostly great and very intelligent and this tech has limitless potential. Hope the idiots don't ruin things for us all and we can find a middle ground between do whatever and do nothing.

Drugs are swallowing this entire city whole, at 33 I have more family and friends now deceased from the epidemic than I can keep up with. Started with pain killers now it's mostly heroin, yesterday morning my aunt was found dead from an overdose, her husband died from issues resulting from drug use a few years ago. I can't even talk to my cousins who basically lived with me growing up cause they all are on and off the same cycle. I made dumb choices years ago but it's all been behind me now for about ten years and things like this hobby are a big part of why that's been easy. If kids have no fun and interesting options to be involved in, here at least with dope everywhere they will fall into it. I'm terrified for my kids and just want to do all I can to get them into this or sports, something to occupy their time that they enjoy and I think multis and rc whether surface,air or water is exiting for all ages and is great to bridge that age gap. It's a great hobby with great people, that does more good than bad without a doubt.

Congrats on your recovery, let's just hope the idiots don't ruin that and the many other things that this hobby does to help folks, not hurt.

Hey Thanks guys, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack or derail the thread - just wanted to explain why I view these things as "toys" and how important a "toy" can be in our lives at times.

Adimuzio513, congrats on putting that lifestyle behind you. I work indirectly with pregnant addicted teenagers, and it is truly an epidemic. Mostly heroin up here in Seattle as well. It is devastating, from one generation to another is not uncommon. Some of these girls were pimped out by their own mothers as young as 12 just so the parent could get the money for her next fix. It is damn hard to break that cycle and prevent them from repeating the same failed life when that is all they know and they've never had "hope" in their lives.
So many of our next generation really need help and guidance. I hope we can turn the tide.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Sounds like your doing some great work maybe with all the dumb choices I made in the past I could have a chance to do something similar at some point. Try to help others to figure things out before their bad choices turn into a downward spiral or worse.

Keep up the good work

@GoodnNuff ; I wish you a very speedy and full recovery!! I can see where this hobby could be very satisfying
@Adimuzio513 , You brought up something I deal with everyday as well. As a narcotics investigator I see the addicts all the time and try to get to them before it's too late. This job can be very demanding but also very satisfying. Every now and then I see someone that I had to prosecute, and they thank me for saving their life, knowing the path they were on was a one way ticket.

GoodNuff, I had a very similar experience, not with cancer but an internal issue that left me hospitalized 14 times in one year (lord knows how many ER visits). Lost most control of my hands and all of my coordination!
Well, when you fly RC planes... if there's one thing you gotta have, that's it! But along came Solo - it literally dragged me out of a hospital bed and back into the air.
Shakiness, questionable reflexes, weakness and lethargy - almost every issue that grounded me before was now beaten. After almost two months I've improved to the point I actually rolled my Quicksilver out of the shed yesterday and taxied a few times. Have to wait for the docs ok before I can let 'er rip for real, though.
To say I'm grateful for my toys is a ridiculous understatement!

@GoodnNuff ; I wish you a very speedy and full recovery!! I can see where this hobby could be very satisfying
@Adimuzio513 , You brought up something I deal with everyday as well. As a narcotics investigator I see the addicts all the time and try to get to them before it's too late. This job can be very demanding but also very satisfying. Every now and then I see someone that I had to prosecute, and they thank me for saving their life, knowing the path they were on was a one way ticket.

Yea not getting too into it I can tell you first hand it is a real struggle and a tough cycle to break, especially when it's literally everywhere around you. I just pray my kids don't do the kinds of things I did, I didn't have a lot of the reasons or excuses a lot do for the choices I made. I've always been intelligent, my parents partied a while but always were together, great and totally turned things around when I was still pretty young. Honestly surroundings and boredom were huge in things, and something like this could likley save a lot of headaches and problems, legal, financial, family and others for young folks with smarts that are bored and not really challenged in school even. I started at 12 to 13 and at that age it's hard to pass up fast free money and harder to admit anything your doing is wrong.

Anyway point being it's almost gotta be stopped before it starts and that's by 5th or 6th grade. After that teens know everything and if they got sucked in they won't stop until they get through the rocky road I did, if they make it through it. Or somehow something happens to where they are forced to hit the rock bottom earlier than it takes for most to change.

Jubalr gotta give ya credit you guys are stuck fighting in a battle where your outnumbered vastly and need to try to decide who can be saved and who's too far gone. That line gets blurrier constantly cause a huge number of folks that end up hooked are not who most see as addicts anymore as I'm sure you know too. Plus now there's the bad cops making things worse and putting a microscope on your every move. I feel for you, your genuinely trying to make a difference and you seem like one of the good ones for sure.

So that's enough but just saying this and other hobbies like it are great for lots of different people for lots of different reasons. This ones just gaining ground to where it's being offered in schools and is cool enough to keep kids interest and also bridge the age gap so us older folks can do it with these young ones and our own kids. So I'd hate to see things stopped just before they even have the chance to make a difference in larger numbers. There's so many fields and jobs this kinda experience can lead to, not to mention this could be the difference whether kids go to school or work breaking their back forever too.

Fly safe and have fun try to show folks that were not spies but folks having fun and mostly doing good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44