Get a 3DR Solo quadcopter with gimbal for $799

They have to drop the price because of pressures from so much competition. I think 3DR is in danger of being irrelevant soon if they don't come up with something new and exciting.

Reactions: dcal
They have to drop the price because of pressures from so much competition. I think 3DR is in danger of being irrelevant soon if they don't come up with something new and exciting.
really? I don't get that feeling what so ever. They have the AGCO Solo and now Solo with a Sony camera and Site Scan. There is little competition in these venues producing great value. I see the 3DR positioning their pilots into a ever growing value stream. Where I find value I find $. I'm more excited about 3DR as time goes on and excited. It just a pity there are few companies like 3DR. I guess its all about how your viewing it.

I won't have waited. The pleasure and footage I got last year was worth every extra penny. Life is great after dropping giving up on the overseas white pigeon. Crap I would pay a extra 20% just for the support level you get from 3DR. I wish other would compete here. Well I ordered another for a spare.

Reactions: aggravated...
I just pulled the trigger and took advantage of this sale, so with any luck, next week I'll receive mine.

Then, I can sell my DJI Phantom 2 and the rest of the original Phantom parts I have. I only flew a few missions with the P2, and it has been sitting for a year as I am afraid of loosing every thing in a fly away (i had 2)

I am excited about this quad, and look forward to making some $$ off of it.

Glad to be with you guys

CameraGuy

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo Keith
I am so excited that I just place an order. I have been waiting from the day solo released. And $799 is for real a firm answer that I can eliminate the phantom4.

I am so excited that I just place an order. I have been waiting from the day solo released. And $799 is for real a firm answer that I can eliminate the phantom4.
Funny, the Solo is the reason I'm buying a Phantom 4

Funny, the Solo is the reason I'm buying a Phantom 4
Funny, your still lurking around a solo forum after 3dr didn't replace your solo after it crashed. You won't get much play posting negative replies to someone who has already committed their money to solo. I'm sure there are P4 forums where you can anxiously await your pre order. Just don't believe a P4 or any drone manufacturer for that matter can guarantee that you won't crash. At least from what I have seen from others experience 3dr has been exceptional at replacing solos that crash due to a failure on solo's part. Knowing that there are risks involved with flying a drone I fully recommend buying a solo. I'm sure a P4 will be fun too, until next years model comes out and they stop supporting it.
**ok rant over

Reactions: pat-love
Funny, your still lurking around a solo forum after 3dr didn't replace your solo after it crashed. You won't get much play posting negative replies to someone who has already committed their money to solo. I'm sure there are P4 forums where you can anxiously await your pre order. Just don't believe a P4 or any drone manufacturer for that matter can guarantee that you won't crash. At least from what I have seen from others experience 3dr has been exceptional at replacing solos that crash due to a failure on solo's part. Knowing that there are risks involved with flying a drone I fully recommend buying a solo. I'm sure a P4 will be fun too, until next years model comes out and they stop supporting it.
**ok rant over
I still own the Solo bud and I will repair it and I will fly it again. But thanks for your concern all the same. BTW, I own a P2, maybe I've been lucky with the unit but I haven't had to call DJI support. With 3DR, it was a weekly chore. Sorry if my negative experiences with the Solo upsets some of you. You'd think I was slapping your first born by the way some of you act.

My apologies. Of course not everyone will have the same experience, I hope your experience gets better.

Reactions: Lance
I still own the Solo bud and I will repair it and I will fly it again. But thanks for your concern all the same. BTW, I own a P2, maybe I've been lucky with the unit but I haven't had to call DJI support. With 3DR, it was a weekly chore. Sorry if my negative experiences with the Solo upsets some of you. You'd think I was slapping your first born by the way some of you act.

I'm sad to say that this has been my experience too. We pre-ordered the Solo and the gimbal and have had nothing but problems since we got them (we got the drone first and the gimbal came almost 3 months later). Based on this experience, I can't recommend the actual Solo at all. 3DR support has been slightly above average, but that doesn't really give me the warm and fuzzies about anything.

Maybe folks should have at least a dozen hours in the air flying something before offering recommendations for or against.

Maybe folks should have at least a dozen hours in the air flying something before offering recommendations for or against.

What do you mean by that? Are you suggesting that I haven't flown enough to be able to tell whether something works or not?

What do you mean by that? Are you suggesting that I haven't flown enough to be able to tell whether something works or not?
No. I'm pointing out that the great majority of people have had positive experiences with Solo and 3DR and have many flight hours - hours which are invaluable when determining the viability of the product.
How many flight hours do you estimate you've chalked up - with Solo, not another quad or indeed any other gadget whatsoever. They don't count.

How many flight hours do you estimate you've chalked up - with Solo, not another quad or indeed any other gadget whatsoever. They don't count.

I don't see why hours with another quad don't count. I've flown 3 different quads for over 100 hours total. With the Solo, I've had it off the ground for maybe a total of 1 hour because it hasn't worked right since I got it. Just today, I attempted to take it out to give it another try and the gimbal is constantly stuttering up and down (it won't stay at a 90 degree angle) and when I tried to fly it (just press and hold "Fly", right?), it just flips over and goes full throttle. I've calibrated it so many times that I stopped counting, I've had it RMA'd through 3DR, and it's been factory reset at least 25 times. How about you count all the hours I've spent trying to get it work? Everyone else's experience with Solo suddenly means that my experience doesn't count anymore?

dji...... poor service from what i've heard... real bad stories... they are not ''behind'' their products... sadly.

I don't see why hours with another quad don't count. I've flown 3 different quads for over 100 hours total. With the Solo, I've had it off the ground for maybe a total of 1 hour because it hasn't worked right since I got it. Just today, I attempted to take it out to give it another try and the gimbal is constantly stuttering up and down (it won't stay at a 90 degree angle) and when I tried to fly it (just press and hold "Fly", right?), it just flips over and goes full throttle. I've calibrated it so many times that I stopped counting, I've had it RMA'd through 3DR, and it's been factory reset at least 25 times. How about you count all the hours I've spent trying to get it work? Everyone else's experience with Solo suddenly means that my experience doesn't count anymore?

I've had your experience, but much worse with DJI. Want to buy my P2 plus with Gimbal and FPV? Great deal with 2 batteries and a backpack for $799

Not to start a flame war, but judging by the orgy at the RCG P4 thread, you'd swear some people think there's a little alien inside the craft flying it, and the collision detection is going to prevent all potential calamity. It will be interesting to watch all the posts about crashing P4's when noob pilots discover no sensors on top/sides may end up causing crashes, or they fly backwards, sideways etc. and lose control. There's a reason why DJI is offering bumper-to-bumper coverage for "normal flying accidents" for $300, and will likely be less willing to replace busted up machines for any reason without the special warranty. I was considering one purely as a turnkey camera platform, but to be honest the tracking feature doesn't impress and don't think it would benefit me. So far the examples I've seen have been 5 mph trucks and fast walking persons, two of which the P4 lost. The DJI reps are pretty tight lipped with very few examples of what the capabilities are. Another it could not transverse up a hill. Once the euphoria wears off, reality will set in and except for the ones that always must justify what they buy, many are going to be disappointed by the limitations. I politely pointed out the two fails, but was told I was expecting too much. Oh, but it has Sport mode. Hmm, sport mode.....sounds kind of.....2014-ish. Hopefully there are no major bugs, but if DJI rolled this out without massive beta testing, watch out.

I've had 2 Solo's, returned both but not for QC reasons. I must say it's hard to turn down the current offer, especially the back pack with extra battery. I have a GPH4/gimbal, but am debating to get the Solo or transform one of the larger copters for video. Honestly, I'm tired of lugging the big buggers around. Decisions. Decisions.
DWNkxOg.jpg

Reactions: Jubalr
Fyi, for those that missed the "sale", I noticed that B&H, Best Buy and some others still list the Solo and gimbal at the sale price.

Not to start a flame war, but judging by the orgy at the RCG P4 thread, you'd swear some people think there's a little alien inside the craft flying it, and the collision detection is going to prevent all potential calamity. It will be interesting to watch all the posts about crashing P4's when noob pilots discover no sensors on top/sides may end up causing crashes, or they fly backwards, sideways etc. and lose control. There's a reason why DJI is offering bumper-to-bumper coverage for "normal flying accidents" for $300, and will likely be less willing to replace busted up machines for any reason without the special warranty. I was considering one purely as a turnkey camera platform, but to be honest the tracking feature doesn't impress and don't think it would benefit me. So far the examples I've seen have been 5 mph trucks and fast walking persons, two of which the P4 lost. The DJI reps are pretty tight lipped with very few examples of what the capabilities are. Another it could not transverse up a hill. Once the euphoria wears off, reality will set in and except for the ones that always must justify what they buy, many are going to be disappointed by the limitations. I politely pointed out the two fails, but was told I was expecting too much. Oh, but it has Sport mode. Hmm, sport mode.....sounds kind of.....2014-ish. Hopefully there are no major bugs, but if DJI rolled this out without massive beta testing, watch out.

I've had 2 Solo's, returned both but not for QC reasons. I must say it's hard to turn down the current offer, especially the back pack with extra battery. I have a GPH4/gimbal, but am debating to get the Solo or transform one of the larger copters for video. Honestly, I'm tired of lugging the big buggers around. Decisions. Decisions.
DWNkxOg.jpg
Well said. I was in the same position. Been flying for years and building hexes and quads and got tired of hauling around all the equipment. Bought the Solo before it was released and been very please and still on the original props. Using it to do commercial work and having everything in one GPC hard case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44