FPV Collision Avoidance

Reaction score
Website
www.westernrockart.org
I have need to fly CLOSE to a vertical object, wall, rock, etc. for video/stills without a collision, wearing a FPV googles. A second person as a spotter is nice, but the bird may not be directly or easily visible.

looking through the googles, I have no depth perception or visual reference to tell how close I am.

I started thinking about a reticle in the viewing field, perhaps a lightweight rod or similar object sticking out two feet ahead of the nose that I could see in the goggles, and other such simplistic, lightweight and cheap approaches.

Any ideas?

Projected laser line? When it strikes a surface it will be a certain length. Learn what that length is when viewed thru your goggles and you should have a rudimentary depth guage. Use a blue laser pointer for visibility ?

How close are you getting to the object? I've had several crashes caused by getting too close to a vertical object, ie, tree trunk or steep grassy slope. The object tends to "pull" the drone to it, either from the rotor wash and/or the GPS signal getting muddled. I like to fly at least 5' away from vertical surfaces. Also try different camera settings. I find that the medium or narrow view on the GoPro tends to magnify more than the wide view. I have lots of video footage that looks like I'm skimming the treetops when I am well above them.

Spotters are great - could yours possibly use binoculars as well?

How close are you getting to the object? I've had several crashes caused by getting too close to a vertical object, ie, tree trunk or steep grassy slope. The object tends to "pull" the drone to it, either from the rotor wash and/or the GPS signal getting muddled. I like to fly at least 5' away from vertical surfaces. Also try different camera settings. I find that the medium or narrow view on the GoPro tends to magnify more than the wide view. I have lots of video footage that looks like I'm skimming the treetops when I am well above them.

Spotters are great - could yours possibly use binoculars as well?

I have had two crashes, both non-fatal and the bird emerged with a few scratches and little damage. The question is, even if you have a set criteria, say no closer than 5' - how do you know where you are?

I have had spotters, but, in many situations, looking at a situation 1/3 to 1/2 mile away, spotters are no big help. when it comes to flying close to an archaeological site
So far, looking at:

lasers - red no good, looking at blue

sonic tape measre - attach one to the front such that you can see the read-out in the FPV goggles (trying a cheapo from Harbor Freight)

sonic screwdriver - borrowed from Dr. Who

Maxbotic I2C Sonar Rangefinder — Copter documentation: I don't even know where to start with this one? What the heck is inside my (mostly) stock solo - is it a pixhawk board or what - do I a need to install arducopter, what hardware, etc. etc. ???????

I have had two crashes, both non-fatal and the bird emerged with a few scratches and little damage. The question is, even if you have a set criteria, say no closer than 5' - how do you know where you are?

I have had spotters, but, in many situations, looking at a situation 1/3 to 1/2 mile away, spotters are no big help. when it comes to flying close to an archaeological site
So far, looking at:

lasers - red no good, looking at blue

sonic tape measre - attach one to the front such that you can see the read-out in the FPV goggles (trying a cheapo from Harbor Freight)

sonic screwdriver - borrowed from Dr. Who

Maxbotic I2C Sonar Rangefinder — Copter documentation: I don't even know where to start with this one? What the heck is inside my (mostly) stock solo - is it a pixhawk board or what - do I a need to install arducopter, what hardware, etc. etc. ???????
You will need Arducopter 3.5 and higher to use a rangefinder with Solo. And some good DIY skills and experience to get it working.
If you are looking for a reliable collision avoidance out of the box solution with visual and haptic feedback along with FPV googles, I would recommend a Mavic along with the DJI Googles. Not really low cost, but likely the most advanced and ready to use you can currently get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea