Floatplanes

Reaction score
Website
www.my-spot.com
(First post here - Hi!)

There are two private helipads listed a little more than 1 NM across a lake to the east of my home - I doubt they are used any longer but even so, contacting them is not an issue. Otherwise I have no other formal restrictions on flying my drone from my home...

However, I live near the western edge of that lake that is used, at least once a week in the summer, by a floatplane which flies directly over my house during takeoff - I'm guessing ≈150' to ≈300' above ground level. There is NO listed "airport" for this lake (other than the heliports which are on shore).

I cannot see the tail number and I have no idea how to contact the pilot. It would seem that floatplanes do not follow the normal rules. Safety is most important, so I would like some suggestions on how to handle this and not be grounded. Is there someone to contact for floatplanes? Do they get clearance from someone to land on a given body of water? Suggestions?

Frank

If I recall correctly, it's actually States that regulate where they can/cannot land. I assume this is not a "private lake" or in a State, Local or Federal Park? You could contact your local FSDO and ask them. They should know. I can't see this being an issue. If you hear him coming, get out of his way, 'cause he's going to be a lot bigger and probably won't see you. IMHO

Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)

Thanks for the link... This is a "public" all sports lake and the floatplane has been flying off the lake for years. I do not plan to fly from my home very often because my site lines are not the best due to trees (and leaves). It is mostly just up and down test flights if I wish to keep the drone in site outside of winter. That also means that while I could hear his plane coming, I cannot necessarily see him coming so getting out of the way might not be effective. Anyway, I don't wish to cause a problem or an incident. The good news is the lake is frozen for 2 or 3 more months so I have some time to figure it out.

Reactions: FlyXlsa

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo