Flight around empty stadiums 14 CFR 99.7

However if Google map truck take a picture of you and don't blur your face, you can sue them.
Hmmmm, good question. So good that I wanted to look it up.

Sorry - nope, unless you're Tom Cruise...

In a word, no; you cannot copyright yourself.

There is a section of the law that falls under trademark whereby a famous person has expanded rights to their likeness; if you are famous (Tom Cruise is famous; Colonel Sanders is famous; Michelle Obama is famous; Michael Jordan is famous; Steve Jobs was famous), you can claim those rights to your likeness, name, and so forth under trademark law. If you're not famous, you don't have the same rights because, quite frankly, your likeness isn't worth as much as that of a famous person is.

Now if the person is on your private property when they take the image you have a chance of claiming that they didn't have the right, especially if you're in your backyard and there's a high fence around your property. If though they're on the street and you're in plain view then sorry - no expectation of privacy.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Doesn't mean they will win. If you watch COPS, you'll see them sometimes show copyrighted logos (signs: McDonalds, etc) and then sometimes (rarely) blur them out. Why sometimes blur and sometimes not? Why do they mostly just show the signs?

They just get permission. I do some local spots, and very rarely does someone NOT want their logo out there for some free exposure. 90% of the time if I ask someone if I can show their logo, etc., they just say, yes thank you.

I recently did some video of a Seahawks player for a local RV company's commercials. Seahawks said NO to using their name and logo in any shots, EXCEPT on the contest givaway signed tee shirts with the Seahawks logo on it. Showing that is okay. Who can figure? But in most cases, in my experience, if you ask nicely, people say yes.

If I don't get an answer, I take the risk. Most legal action comes AFTER a cease and desist order, which I would instantly follow! Of course, I would stay completely away from Disney!

I did a car commercial for a client where Macklemore's music video used their lot in the video. I used some of their footage in the lot's commercial, including their song. They okay'd the shots of them, but I had to change the music track. Nice folks, like most people.

Oh, here's the link to the spot:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(drone shots were shot with an old Phantom2 I had before the Solo.)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso