FAA Rule-making Committee Recommendations Leaked..

IMO, the in person test by the FAA is overkill. Most commercial ops are nearly the same as hobby and personal ops, you're just getting paid for it. The less the government gets involved, the better. You still need to pass the online test, which means you have to look up and read the answers. And that's the goal. Force one to read the rules and best practices. If someone is going to be a reckless moron, they're going to be a reckless moron whether they answered the question at an FAA testing center or their living room.

Passing a TSA background check is an absolute joke of a requirement. It's a pointless waste of time that accomplishes nothing. So it's no surprise that nobody thought that as worthwhile except the groups trying to impede the whole thing for financial reasons. The two organizations opposed to making it simple are the organizations that could lose a share of the market to drones, such as helicopter crop dusting.

Reactions: prowler9
I agree on the TSA background. But how do you know who is taking the online test? Daddy?? Answers would be all over the internet anyway, why bother?

You need to look the answers up on the internet whether you take the test in person or on the internet. People study the questions, memorize the answers, pass the test, and move on. I just don't see "having my uncle cleatus take the test for me" as being a major factor here. People willing to do that probably wouldn't bother doing any of this legal stuff at all to begin with.

Reactions: prowler9
Well, we can certainly agree to disagree. Though I would hope that you would not equate "study the questions, memorize the answers, pass the test" to be the same as learning and knowing the answers. Nor would I want the same process used for 'learning' flying or driving. Although, why have a any licensing requirement for them either. Just need some general questions that can be looked up on the good ol' internet.

I'm not saying that's the way it SHOULD be. I'm simply pointing out the reality of how most lazy people study for a test they consider to be a technicality.

I'm just happy to see they are at least taking some steps forward in a process that's kind of fell through the cracks for a while. Yea "drones" are getting more popular now, but it's been obvious for a while that they would gain popularity as the tech gets less expensive like everything else. They should have really started on this path a while ago, but better late than never.

I'm kinda in between you two, not having a pilots license I hope to be able to do commercial work, but I also would appreciate enough regulation that we aren't worse off in the future. If they make things too easy idiots will screw it up for the rest of us, but there has to be a happy medium. I'm happy to pay a bit and maybe take an in person class or test to show I'm competent just like other commercial equipment, but how it is now is overkill.

Hopefully they work it out sooner rather than later, so those breaking the rules don't get any further ahead of me scooping up jobs in the area that I'm waiting to do legally.

Thanks for posting Jubalr I appreciate any and all info on what's coming. Sadly I just saw that this season our local parks are now no drone zones after I've had nothing but great reactions to mine so I hope they put something together before we get a blanket ban.

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus