And I see the AMA is telling its members to hold off registering until they challenge it in court. Man alive, when are we going to learn.

i still say AMA is blowing smoke up our asses.
we will have to register all models that are controled by a tx and there is no way of getting around it.
FAA has made the ruleing and that is the way it is to be no matter what AMA says they are going to do.
i will be registering mine as soon as the forms come available.

i still say AMA is blowing smoke up our asses.
we will have to register all models that are controled by a tx and there is no way of getting around it.
FAA has made the ruleing and that is the way it is to be no matter what AMA says they are going to do.
i will be registering mine as soon as the forms come available.
Incorrect. All models over .55 lbs with a tx.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Incorrect. All models over .55 lbs with a tx.

that is 250 grams neglected to say that.

28.7 grams per ounce

Last edited by a moderator:
I am upset about a Public registry but the fines for flying without registering are scary.

Reactions: Rex Barlow
yes i am an AMA member but i don't think that AMA will be able to change anything about this.
if you sign up in the first 30 days you will get your 5 bucks back.
you will have to sign up any way so do it now and save 5 bucks

Well marry Xmas,, 42 years of following Guidelines set forth by the AMA and no issues with the FAA and it has come to this.

I personally want to thank all of the people that have changed the way myself and many of us that have flown Planks, Helicopters, Gliders and many other aircraft safely for decades and now it's come to an end because of ignorance and stupidity.

You can thank all the noobs that have opened there boxes and charged there craft without any knowledge and have taken NO time to learn anything and rush out the door to try to fly without taking any responsibility for there actions.

You can thank the ones that fly over people and crowds just to show there ignorance.

You can thank the Stupid ones that think it's cool to fly at 2000 feet and put there video on YouTube showing the world and our own FAA the ignorance of the people in the US airspace.

You can thank the ones that fly close to airports and give full scale pilot's a reason to complain or fly when a major catastrophe is happening getting in the way of first responders in emergency situations.

But most of all you can thank DJI , 3DR and many others that jumped on the band wagon to make a quick buck so they can put aircraft in the hands of the people that are tooo stupid to Build and fly there own.

How many problems could have been avoided if these people had to acually build there aircraft from a kit and learn to Wire, solder, program, test fly, to make it fly.
Most of them couldn't build and fly a paper airplane if there life depended on it.

So east a monkey can fly it, but without common sense monkeys are flying them.

If DJI , 3DR and others from the very start would have had a online course of 50 questions that had to be answered correctly to pass and then recieve an unlock code to enter into the craft so it would fly I wonder how many issues could have been avoided by something as simple as that.

I would say we wouldn't be is the situation we are in now. So for those that have been building and flying for more then 10 years and have been AMA members, I feel your pain as our freedom in this hobby will now change for the worse for ever.

For those of you that have Never heard of the AMA well maybe you should have and followed the rules.

I'm sure the flames will start after this post but again I'm also sure the ones that will be flaming me the most are the ones that I have just thanked..

Have a very happy new year 2016..

Not disagreeing with anything you said, but to your "you can thank" list, you should add:

A sensationalist media, who blew the "threat" posed by "drones" entirely out of proportion. There's been maybe a dozen incidents total involving a modest chance of an interaction between a drone and an aircraft or crashes in public places (that sports stadium incident). For all the drones being flown, the most serious accident was the admittedly tragic loss of one child's eye in England. That's terrible, no question about it, but over the same time period and for a similar number of guns, how many children and adults been killed? And yet you hear nary a word about that, but one drone is spotted by one pilot and it's global news.

And let's not let the public in general off the hook. People today are sensationalism-obsessed, be it celebrities, criminals or the news in general. The average citizen is so devoid of education, intelligence, common sense and any semblance of meaningful life interests that they lap up sensationalist news like a dog laps up table scraps.

My only hope with this whole drone craziness is that this holiday comes and goes with few, if any, new incidents. For most people, these things are a passing fad - they're popular and relatively heap gifts. I just can't see millions of people all of the sudden taking up flying drones regularly. For most people, they'll buy or receive a small one, fly it a few times, crash it and move on. Some will get into flying them for sport, racing, etc. and that will require a good amount of proficiency. Fewer will get into flying them for real photography (us) and both because of the task (photography) and the cost, requires proficiency. It's not us or the racers who are causing the problems, so hopefully when the next fad comes around, the idiots will move on and the attention drones have gotten will subside and this hole regulation thing will appear for what it's been - blown entirely out of all proportion.

That's my hope anyway. As difficult as it can be, I try to be an optimist.

Reactions: NigelTM
Just sent this today to my State rep and congressman
Everyone should do the same. Don't bitch when its gone.

Dear Mr Peterson

I am 52 years old and have lived in Moorhead Mn my entire life. I have been a part of a community of Radio Control aircraft enthusiast across this great country for 42 year of its 70 years of existence and I am also a standing member of Academy of model aeronautics to this very day.

I have enjoyed building, flying and teaching many others young and old in my community and have shared this wonderful family sport, Hobby and tradition of model aircraft with hundreds of onlookers and have done this safely responsibly and respectfully for 42 years without a single close call or issue.

Over the past months there has been an Evil shadow hanging over our heads working its way into the very fabric of our beloved RC hobby. This shadow is our very own FAA. With the recent issues with model aircraft being considered "DRONES" and the News Media actively being a driving force behind propaganda feeding false information to the American people. This has caused the FAA to lump Radio Controlled hobbyist in one basket. That basket is following the rules and regulations of full size aircraft and pilots.

I understand the concerns of the FAA trying to keep Radio Controlled hobby aircraft AKA "Drones" from landing on the white house Lawn but again this was one example of how the news media has corrupted the American people and turned many them against this hobby.
Please remember that this was one of the white houses own people, a Government employee causing the issue and this only spawned a greater Media mayhem causing more FAA uprising. Was this planned to hurt our hobby?

Now thanks to many reckless new RC aircraft "DRONE" operator/owners that have not been properly trained the FAA has deemed it best to punish the law biding hobbyist by imposing special rules that clearly go against what Congress had themselves granted us years ago into law and now are trying to take away many freedoms that had come from that act.

Pleases look into FAA Sec.336 Special Rule For Model Aircraft. as this act was signed into law and now Michael Huerta Administrator of the FAA should be held in contempt of Congress for the misinterpretation of Section 336. and wanting to change for his own amusement.

This special rule should not be amended nor removed from this Act as it protects this hobby as a community as a family and as a livlyhood for many small hobby shop owners across our country.

I agree that with this new technology is making very easy for uneducated people to fly in the US airspace and safety is a very big concern for the FAA. The Academy of model aeronautics along with other UAV associations have worked with the FAA to help sort thing out but the FAA has taken it upon themselves to make there own rules.

This is as wrong as wrong can be and I know the FAA would rather see this hobby gone as to deal with it as we are nothing in there eyes. Please remember that this hobby has been around for a very long time and has pushed for new innovation and has opened up new ideas and ventures in many communities and in many ways has made our very own military better. Without this hobby many companies will close there doors in the USA as if there hasn't been enough small business lost because of bad government trade policies.

This hobby is worth saving for many reasons and once the uninformed and uneducated are taught the right way from the wrong things will return to normal but jumping the gun and punishing the thousands of RC hobbyist is not the way to go about change.

Please remember that the word DRONE is a military term used for military aircraft. We in the RC community Fly Radio controlled aircraft and this includes Helicopters, Airplanes, Sail planes and Multi rotors AKA "Drones" in the eyes of the misinformed its all considered a DRONE,,
The word ASSAULT WEAPON is a term that the media uses to describe a very well know and popular civilian rifle known as the Colt AR-15 semi automatic rifle that I have also personally built and have owned for years without issues.

The civilian AR-15 look like but should never be confused or compared to the military M-16 Selective fire fully automatic 3 round burst tactical rifle used by the US military today.
Civilians cannot own this rifle unless you have all the paperwork to go with it.

I know for a fact that there are no RC enthusiast in the USA that fly there very own Military DRONE, unless of course they are in the military.

Please dont get caught up in the news media propaganda because a baseball bat has been used as an assault weapon more then once and there is no rules or registration on them.

Mr Peterson I have just given a very clear and honest example of how the media gives out the wrong information just to boost ratings and make things sound worse then it really is contributing to the issues we are having with the FAA today.

I would be more then happy to personally invite you to this area and show you what the news media and the FAA is seeing as a threat. I would like you to see for yourself what I and many others RC enthusiast are fighting to preserve in this country.
Then and only then will you see the truth for what it is.

Again the FAA is jumping and stomping to try to quickly to put out a burning fire that has yet to start and yes there is smoke but no flames.

Thank you very much for your time and understanding in this matter.

Sincerely
Rodney Johnson

Last edited:
Rodney,

I don't agree with your assessment of all new drone pilots. I don't care about the AMA or flying with a club. I don't want to build a drone and it wouldn't interest me if it didn't have GPS and the camera. It's the technology that I find fun, I'm an industrial automation engineer.

I also shoot pistols, shotguns and AR15s but don't hunt. I like shooting trap with my son and grandson. But I don't belong to a sportsmans club or the NRA.

I am responsible and follow the rules and take care not to do harm to people or the environment, but I'm not an evronmentalist or a tree huger.

I do what I enjoy, I earned that right as a veteran, a tax payer and a US citizen. There are a lot of idiots out there that do irresponsible things. Just because I don't want to follow your idea of this hobby doesn't make me stupid.

My guns a registered as required, my CCW allows me to carry and I registered with the FAA for my drones.I find your requirements more intrusive than the FAA requirements.

Rodney,

I don't agree with your assessment of all new drone pilots. I don't care about the AMA or flying with a club. I don't want to build a drone and it wouldn't interest me if it didn't have GPS and the camera. It's the technology that I find fun, I'm an industrial automation engineer.

I also shoot pistols, shotguns and AR15s but don't hunt. I like shooting trap with my son and grandson. But I don't belong to a sportsmans club or the NRA.

I am responsible and follow the rules and take care not to do harm to people or the environment, but I'm not an evronmentalist or a tree huger.

I do what I enjoy, I earned that right as a veteran, a tax payer and a US citizen. There are a lot of idiots out there that do irresponsible things. Just because I don't want to follow your idea of this hobby doesn't make me stupid.

My guns a registered as required, my CCW allows me to carry and I registered with the FAA for my drones.I find your requirements more intrusive than the FAA requirements.
I would like to thank you for your service and agree that you have certainly earned the right to enjoy shooting and flying as hobbies. But I would encourage you to join the AMA and the NRA to protect those earned rights from being taken away.

Where do you live that you have to register your guns?

I would like to thank you for your service and agree that you have certainly earned the right to enjoy shooting and flying as hobbies. But I would encourage you to join the AMA and the NRA to protect those earned rights from being taken away.

Where do you live that you have to register your guns?

Probably the wrong term, I purchased them legally and filled out the forms as required. There is a record of what I bought. That's why they want to stop gun show purchases, no record, no checks.

I did join the NRA once, then got what seemed like a daily mailing for donations. I got so tired of the constant begging for money, I just let it run out.

AARP, NRA and others. Anytime you become a member of these organizations or donate to a cause, they are not satisfied, they want to become a monthly bill. I don't know about the AMA, but I would guess they are the same.

Rodney,

I honestly respect your opinion.
I also own many guns and have hunted most of my life and I don't register.
Years ago my older brother 82nd airborne ranger and I thank both of you, had given up his FFL because how the government BATF can now walk into your house and walk out with all of your guns.
As for myself and others, Jubalr included have been flying RC helicopters since the 70 and early 80's and now we are being punished for what others are doing and have done to this hobby.
If those people were responsible like yourself then there would not be a problem.
But this is not the case so now what I and others have enjoyed for over 40 years is being swept away. YOU of all people should know, don't punish all because of the mistakes of others.
This is not boot camp.

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc