Extra Solo. what to do with it

Reaction score
Website
www.chapmanits.com
I had purchased the original bundle from best buy (solo + gimbal + battery + props). 3 flights later I got tired of unboxing it. I researched and ended up buying the backpack bundle and a few extra batteries (4 to be exact)
I took the backpack out of the bundle and packaged the new solo in the original solo's box. As such I have a almost new solo/gimbal sitting in box for about 2 months now, and no idea what to do with it.
Any ideas?

Fly it!

Use whichever Solo has best GPS and hasn't had impact for videos and pictures. This will hold position best and have least vibration.

Fly the other Solo without gimbal and in Manual or Stabalize modes. This Solo is the one to "play" with. In these modes the Solo is more of a sports car rather than a 70s Lincoln or Cadillac. You can stay it practice with flying without GPS.

Reactions: unashamed
wouldn't hurt to have a backup. i've got 4 backup solos. :)

A backup is what I've been thinking. This thing is so sturdy though, do I even need a backup?
I have a feeling the more I look at it the more I'm going to want to mod it (antennas, gps, MA props, etc)

yews, you do need a backup but that's the nice thing about the solo. it's upgradeable. you can do tons with this drone unlike the other drones.

Put a 2.1 green cube in it, join the arducopter gang. Your solo will have a future

wow. @pyrate you do know all these upgrade kits for solo. now i know who to ask. with all these upgrade kits available for our solos - who needs DJI..... (sorry i am not bashing - just saying that with the solo price and with the available upgrades you can do with it - solo is far more superior than these other drones).

Reactions: pyrate
The only thing at this point really holding solo on ardu back is the gimbal code and controller code
3DR will not, or most likely cannot open source it.

Playing with the green cube on master is both fun and frustrating
but it is getting better all the time.
I figure another 6 months and the average Joe can load it.
Rumors are there will be a custom firmware load in a well known solo app

What's this green cube you speak of? I only knew about one replacement goa board. I haven't done a tonne of research. It seems that are more ?
Will I loose any capabilities upgrading to one of these ? From your reply what makes it frustrating ?

I had purchased the original bundle from best buy (solo + gimbal + battery + props). 3 flights later I got tired of unboxing it. I researched and ended up buying the backpack bundle and a few extra batteries (4 to be exact)
I took the backpack out of the bundle and packaged the new solo in the original solo's box. As such I have a almost new solo/gimbal sitting in box for about 2 months now, and no idea what to do with it.
Any ideas?

One of my favorite activities is to send Solo #1 on an auto mission flying a big slow loop around the flying field, and launch Solo#2 and manually chase it for some air to air video practice. Pretty challenging! Helps to have some additional lights on Solo #1 to find it through the streaming GoPro video.

I was reading some old post and a comment someone made regarding the Solo. "You can do tons with this drone unlike other drones." I would like to know what these things are? Various Applications that Solo's are often used in?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M