Extending Flight Time

I have been thinking about taking an alternate path to increase flight time. Has anyone here experimented with 3 blade props ? We should be able to achieve more thrust with less rpms. Extended flight times would result from the reduced PID rates.

Reactions: Skypass307
I saw his youtube video and thread as well. But a second solo battery is a lot heavier than just a small 1100mAh battery. Anyway, I just came back from my test :D

Method: 2 flies back to back, similar path and pattern - flew out at 250ft altitude to the same point about 2400ft away, hovered around until battery dropped to 50%, then back, hovered above home until battery dropped to 5% then landed.

Result:
- with only gimbal & hero 3B: started with 96%, landed with 3% left: total fly time = 16.5 min (this has been my average)
- with gimbal, hero 3B, and 5.6oz added (piggyback 4x 18650 batteries): started with 97%, landed with 1% left: total fly time = 11.5 min

So basically +5oz = -5 min of fly time from this test. Maybe I should try +2oz hover test to be more fair. But for now, I agree the weight is the bigger issue here.
Landing with a depleted battery like that is asking for trouble.
My rtl altitude is 400 ft so I can drop nicely in my home location.
It also depends on how far away I am .. if I am at the max range I rtl at 30%.:if I am out 400 ft or less I would not go longer than 23%

23 flights and no crashes

Landing with a depleted battery like that is asking for trouble.
My rtl altitude is 400 ft so I can drop nicely in my home location.
It also depends on how far away I am .. if I am at the max range I rtl at 30%.:if I am out 400 ft or less I would not go longer than 23%

23 flights and no crashes

I agree with you! That's why I usual get back home with 20% left, then hover around until battery gets to 5% and then just land wherever it is nearby. To clarify, I don't hover at 250ft with 5% battery. I descend to 5-10ft when there is 10% left. I'm being very cautious as a beginner. :)

Oh, I thought it was better to deplete the battery then recharge it to avoid memory effect?! :confused: Thanks everyone for the tip. Will ground my solo at 20% from now on (40% is a bit too conservative for me too)

Oh, I thought it was better to deplete the battery then recharge it to avoid memory effect?! :confused: Thanks everyone for the tip. Will ground my solo at 20% from now on (40% is a bit too conservative for me too)
LiPO batteries are different. Lead/acid, Cadium and NiMH batteries
Need to run down to avoid the memory effect. Lipo between you don't want to run to depletion. I am not sure if the solo actually displays 0% charge when in reality there is 20%.

Reactions: Skypass307

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig