Reaction score
Hey guys
My buddy and I are new to the drone world.
We had an idea to use drones to fly around with a flag or advertisement of some sort around populated areas.
Here is a link to the survey, if you have additional comments or drone specs that we didn't address please comment below, we'd love to hear your comments/concerns/suggestions as we are in the beginning stages.

SkyView Media Survey

Just be careful you adhere to Part 107 carefully, especially over flight of persons.

Otherwise sounds like a neat extension. Though maybe a fixed wing might make more sense?

FCC is one step ahead of you :(
FCC regulations don't like ANY licensed operator to fly above public.
Even in lieu of wavers from grounds keeper.
Federal Law, usually trumps local Law.
I might be wrong, but if i were you, I would hire an ternoy & talk to ins, agent before spending any more time or monies.

You asked

Good luck

Reactions: FamilyFlyGuy
On the practical side, I wonder if a drone could tow a banner big enough to read from the ground?
How much would that shorten the flight time?

On the practical side, I wonder if a drone could tow a banner big enough to read from the ground?
Been demonstrated, Not as easy as one think. A bar extending vertically behind the quad holding the short banner maybe 2X4 along a beach front, over water, Not practical, Not legible.

But in mexico city mexico, drones with banners flying in between standing traffic on expressway Flying against traffic over & in front of windshields.
the later example had the advertisement on banners only feet away from consumers & looked like it would work.

Last edited:
Just be careful you adhere to Part 107 carefully, especially over flight of persons.

Otherwise sounds like a neat extension. Though maybe a fixed wing might make more sense?
thats an interesting idea, I hadn't considered a wing, more of a light weight flag being pulled around. We are looking into the Canadian equivalent for part 107 now, as we didn't know where to begin the regulation research

Been demonstrated, Not as easy as one thinks. A bar extending vertically behind the quad holding the short banner maybe 2X4 along a beach front, over water, Not practical.
But in mexico city mexico, drones with banners flying in between standing traffic on expressway.. the later example had the advertisement on banners only feet away from consumers.
What i was thinking (although I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed) is to have the drone fly around the windows of business buildings (eg. "come for lunch at the Soup Nutzi at King and John st. in the underground") or something of that sort. The idea is since we could only have the drones up for about 20 minutes, we would advertise right before an expected rush.

Reactions: Maddog
I had originally thought of it that way but we decided that would be too heavy. We're now thinking it would be a lightweight flag with a simple message so it wouldn't impact flight time and stability too much

What i was thinking (although I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed) is to have the drone fly around the windows of business buildings (eg. "come for lunch at the Soup Nutzi at King and John st. in the underground") or something of that sort. The idea is since we could only have the drones up for about 20 minutes, we would advertise right before an expected rush.
That's interesting- it would be cool if you could fly around high rise buildings, close to the windows so the workers could see your message.

Of course there must be some regulation prohibiting that.:(

That's interesting- it would be cool if you could fly around high rise buildings, close to the windows so the workers could see your message.

I expect that flying close enough to be read would result in being close enough to substantiate a trespassing claim. But maybe not. :)

I feel like a buzzkill now...

Yeah :( it becomes a private property/trespassing issue which will be a nightmare to deal with, like @just_bruce mentioned.
the other idea is a projector of some sort but it would mostly only work at night and would be heavy to carry. someone (Droning as a Media Business idea | Drone Minds Forums) from another forum shared this link:
http://gizmodo.com/this-sick-video-drone-is-the-future-of-inescapable-adve-1794663199

Hey guys
My buddy and I are new to the drone world.
We had an idea to use drones to fly around with a flag or advertisement of some sort around populated areas.
Here is a link to the survey, if you have additional comments or drone specs that we didn't address please comment below, we'd love to hear your comments/concerns/suggestions as we are in the beginning stages.

SkyView Media Survey
You thought about using something like this?
Amazon.com : Blue LED Name Tag, MECO EZ01 Name Badge reuseable Price Tag rechargeable ID Tag office megnetic name tags, MicroUSB programming Digital Sign 11x44, w/ Magnet and Pin Blue 11X44 : Office Products
You'd have to remove the magnets and use velcro or glue in place, but these are actually pretty bright in the day time and more easily seen at night (just abide by regulations and get the proper clearance). I'm sure there could be larger ones that are also lightweight or could be custom made. But it solves the problem of a heavy banner that could be affected by wind and would reduce drag on the drone (thus improving flight times). Heck, with drones, people are going to look up, so what about a larger fixed display on the underneath of the craft? With a camera looking down you could even show advertisers how many people are looking up to see their advertisement (not directly over them of course, but at an angle that's safe of course).

Several issues,
1. Large buildings would typically have foot traffic on sidewalks below. Flying above people isn't allowed without a FAA Waiver (see)
Drone video at events, How To?
2. Large buildings also block GPS signals
3. Most large cities fall within Class Bravo airspace
4. Canadian Airspace has become a nightmare for anyone wanting to fly. (see)
New rules for flying recreational drones in Canada
Maybe focus on locations more rural and see how that pans out first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Beck
Several issues,
1. Large buildings would typically have foot traffic on sidewalks below. Flying above people isn't allowed without a FAA Waiver (see)
Drone video at events, How To?
2. Large buildings also block GPS signals
3. Most large cities fall within Class Bravo airspace
4. Canadian Airspace has become a nightmare for anyone wanting to fly. (see)
New rules for flying recreational drones in Canada
Maybe focus on locations more rural and see how that pans out first.
Another issue is that buildings create their own wind patterns. Combine that with loosing GPS, which is likely, and you'll have a drone crashing into the building and falling onto people.

Interesting idea, if there weren't a lot of problems with the current technology.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc