Do you think I can make it?

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am on a hilltop in Santa Barbara that has a surrounding valley of about 200 degrees. There are a few homes, mostly small ranches and a college off to one end. I have been wanting to fly my Solo to a line of sight hilltop that has the remains of a famous, unoccupied spa that has some beautiful remaining structures. I would like to film one orbit and then return. According to Google Maps a straight line from here to there is 1.43 miles and the elevation increase is about 1000 ft. I start at 600 ft above seal level so will end up at 1600 ft at the destination. My bird came with a Rev. B board but I had lost GPS in some trees so have installed a MRO. I also have Alpha antennas. The college will be putting out some WiFi but I should be about 1000 ft above and a quarter mile away. I have both the Solo app and Solex. Will the Solex app make preflight calculations in the "from here to there" setup or should I just fly manually?

I have been putting this run off as we have had consistent high winds during the last couple of weeks but expect calmer conditions this week. The photo is with a telephoto.

Do you think I can make it?

Tea%20Garden.jpg

As a mission you could do it (you'd have to first set the parameter to continue-mission even on signal loss). Not sure you've got the range with the alphas and the stock transmitters. I think the 800mw ones would do it given your clear line of sight.

Reactions: Surfrider
Thanks for the feed back. That test along the Alligator Alley is most impressive. First, I had not thought about one each antennae but obviously using the two Alphas has a huge advantage. One big unknown is the amount of WiFi that will be coming from the college campus just to the right in my photo. If my Solo should fall I doubt I could find it in that terrain. There are a couple of other, closer objects around the canyon I will try first just to get a feel for the distance. I will post a video if I should finally accomplish the intended flight as it should be pretty cool climbing up the mountain.

Just a thought, could you hike closer to the spa/intended target, or are you unable to physically get any closer than where the picture is?

Just a thought, could you hike closer to the spa/intended target, or are you unable to physically get any closer than where the picture is?
I can get closer. There is actually a road in the valley below the target, but that is easy. I like reading about the challenges others have tried. That being said, I will probably try that closer route first just to test out the WiFi and other issues in the area before making the grand voyage across the valley. I think that is one of the reasons, at least in the back of our minds that we got Solos to begin with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc