Do we need cell service to use iPad mini 3?

Reaction score
Website
buymultirotors.com
Hello,

Do we actually need to activate our displays (in my case the iPad mini 3) in order to use it with SOLO?

If not, how do we get the Solo app onto a device that is not connected to a cellular service such at ATT etc?

Thanks!
Lo

3DR just told me a couple days ago they do not have support for offline maps on the iPad yet.

Hello,

Do we actually need to activate our displays (in my case the iPad mini 3) in order to use it with SOLO?

If not, how do we get the Solo app onto a device that is not connected to a cellular service such at ATT etc?

Thanks!
Lo

What does "activate your display" mean. If you have an iPad you can download the app via WiFi.

When I say activate I mean I just ordered a iPad mini 3 from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow. Do I need to have cell phone service added to the ipad mini in order to connect to apple store and download the app etc?

I already pay out the nose for cell phone and wifi for my Ipad 2, I certainly don't want to now have to pay ATT for MORE wireless service for the ipad mini just to use it with the Solo! :(

When I say activate I mean I just ordered a iPad mini 3 from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow. Do I need to have cell phone service added to the ipad mini in order to connect to apple store and download the app etc?

I already pay out the nose for cell phone and wifi for my Ipad 2, I certainly don't want to now have to pay ATT for MORE wireless service for the ipad mini just to use it with the Solo! :(

No, you just have to have an iTunes account. The app is free. Solo creates its own wifi network that you connect your ipad to. You will need a wifi connection (with internet) so you can perform updates and stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 50wyldeman
Hi @rrmccabe, have there been any updates on ipad 'offline maps' support?

Not really in the loop with that. I am an android user and don't have the Solo anymore.

So that question is best left for someone in the know :)

Last edited:
I just bought an iPad Mini with cellular and signed up for T-mobile (within the iPad settings). In addition to 200MB/month free for life, they have a $10/5GB/150 days.

I find that more than enough for pulling up maps during a shot... just have to be careful to turn off cellular for other apps.

I have the mini 3 and yes I had to activate cell service through verizon. I had a mini 2 wifi before and I couldn't cache maps.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I have the mini 3 and yes I had to activate cell service through verizon. I had a mini 2 wifi before and I couldn't cache maps.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Yeah, that is my problem...iPad mini 2 wifi, no caching. Thinking about upgrading iphone to 6s or 6s plus and using it as my solo device, rather than having multiple devices. Would there be any reason(s) not to use one's personal phone for flying? Interference/interruptions during flight?

I just bought an iPad Mini with cellular and signed up for T-mobile (within the iPad settings). In addition to 200MB/month free for life, they have a $10/5GB/150 days.

I find that more than enough for pulling up maps during a shot... just have to be careful to turn off cellular for other apps.

Thanks for the info, might be a good option for me to consider. Would really love to have maps while flying so I can judge my distance better.

Yeah, that is my problem...iPad mini 2 wifi, no caching. Thinking about upgrading iphone to 6s or 6s plus and using it as my solo device, rather than having multiple devices. Would there be any reason(s) not to use one's personal phone for flying? Interference/interruptions during flight?
Nope. Turn on do not disturb or whatever Apple calls it so you don't get interrupted by a call mid flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44