Digital Gimbal Cam

Reaction score
Rylo
d6d42a8ef3369c7263969a21922d64a5.jpg

What if you did away with the gimbal, what if you could point in any direction in post after the fact, what if they kept on improving this to work even better!!!!

Reactions: ccfirehawk and EZL
Interesting, I came across a YouTube video which was posted about a year ago which used a 360 degree camera on a drone but used some
specialized software which interfaced with the camera. You could have a 360 degree view in flight and the view could be panned in flight!
Thanks

Reactions: ccfirehawk
Digital image stabilization appears to have some real promise. Just for fun, I recently picked up a Parrot Bebop 2 from B&H on sale for $240 and it has such a camera onboard. Although not 360, it shoots 1080p by digitally moving the image being shot around on a larger fixed sensor in real time to simulate the results of a mechanical gimbal... which also provides a limited amount of pan and tilt. Although not of the quality of a Hero 4B on the Solo's gimbal, it shoots amazingly stable video! Hopefully we'll see this technology refined in light weight cameras.

Reactions: EZL and ccfirehawk
Digital image stabilization appears to have some real promise. Just for fun, I recently picked up a Parrot Bebop 2 from B&H on sale for $240 and it has such a camera onboard. Although not 360, it shoots 1080p by digitally moving the image being shot around on a larger fixed sensor in real time to simulate the results of a mechanical gimbal... which also provides a limited amount of pan and tilt. Although not of the quality of a Hero 4B on the Solo's gimbal, it shoots amazingly stable video! Hopefully we'll see this technology refined in light weight cameras.

I've been looking at the Bebop 2 and it looks interesting! The Bebop Disco for winged aircraft has come down in price and it probably incorporates the
digital image stabilization on? Dustin Dunnill has been testing it for quite awhile and has pretty good success with it. Thanks for the info.

ever hear of that fly 360 cam? was just looking at it trying to decide which drones to use with it. Originally thought 3DR but now not sure. Anyone habe and using?

Sent from my LG-H872 using 3DRPilots Drone Forum mobile app

I can't remember what drone the camera was on I am thinking a X380? A camera like that would most likely be used for the farming industry or even
for rescue services. I need to get on YouTube and see if I can find the video.

Reactions: ccfirehawk
This camera seems promising. They released the iOS version in December last year and plan the Android version sometime early this year.
The concept is great. We do the flyby, the camera has image stabilization and we can later pick the focal points and the software rotates the image based on that.
The software is also supposed to allow for "flattening" the images so no special viewing software is needed.
Of course all this is what they claim. The reviews I read so far are pre-production and marketing. The types we take with grains of salt.
However, if it works as promised I'll get the Android version. It has an optional waterproof case that will keep it protected in cased of falls or water dives. Quite promising, if it does what they say.
Since it does not have moving parts it will be a lot more robust than the gimbal+gopro.

Last edited:
Here's a Xiaomi Mi Sphere Camera being used on a Parrot Disco:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig