Crashed on return to home, but looks like it survived

Reaction score
Flying too low behind some metal buildings and lost signal. Clipped the top of some trees while returning home.

Sure would be Usefull if the return home height could be adjusted!

2 broken props, go pro mount popped out a little, and lost one of the white led covers. Otherwise it looks good. I'll try to post video later.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• 0624151216.jpg
    0624151216.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
It would be nice if they allowed for a few different versions of return home. I was able to turn it off on my P2. After loosing connection and going forward it ended up about 15 ft off the ground under tree branches. You guessed it it tried to fly right thru the tree limbs. How about just a pause option if it hit RTH

All I want is user settable RTH height and more delay on RTH. Let it hover for 15 to 30 seconds before making a beeline home.

Right now you don't really have a chance to reposition controller or move before it hits RTH.

Reactions: RichWest
All I want is user settable RTH height and more delay on RTH. Let it hover for 15 to 30 seconds before making a beeline home.

Right now you don't really have a chance to reposition controller or move before it hits RTH.
Only through Tower or MP at this point. You can determine how long to pause before & after RTH and RTH height and speed. Hopefully these will be added in the Solo app, but with the market they targeted I can understand the caution of adding too many parameters.

Only through Tower or MP at this point. You can determine how long to pause before & after RTH and RTH height and speed. Hopefully these will be added in the Solo app, but with the market they targeted I can understand the caution of adding too many parameters.

I agree 100%. The only downside to this is warranty if we start making changes via tower. I will eventually say to heck with warranty but right now I have not built up enough trust in the bird yet :)

I saw a post from a 3DR rep that explained that common sense would be used in that regard. He stated for example if someone had a typo and put in 15 instead of 150' and the RTH crashed into something, then that obviously wouldn't be covered. But if you made a change and had a fly away or crash, then the warranty would still apply unless a change you made was the reason/contributing factor in the event.

That certainly makes sense and not surprising from my experience with 3DR.

is this possible thru tower right now? how do you go about doing this?

That's exactly what happens when signal loss occurs
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was that really a RTH.....I could not tell if it was heading to your start point and it looked lower than 50 feet.

I was watching the controller and saw the signal go red, and then it said disconnected so I new it was heading my way, and that there were trees in the way.

That's exactly what happens when signal loss occurs

His was RTH. It jumped to 49' and booked home not clearing the trees.

Your video was not a proper RTH. First of all you should not have lost signal with your LOS position. Secondly it did not raise to 49' and it was flying away from home.

@1013D Please start a trouble ticket and link to your video. This is a perfect example of why we need them to change the RTH height.

If your RTH was programmed for 150 or 200' you never would have had that issue.

Your video was not a proper RTH. First of all you should not have lost signal with your LOS position. Secondly it did not raise to 49' and it was flying away from home.

@1013D Please start a trouble ticket and link to your video. This is a perfect example of why we need them to change the RTH height.

I was above 50 feet....at 60 something feet, that is why it did not raise.

And I flew into the path of a 2.4 ghz video transmitter directional antenna....so that might have something to do with the signal loss.

I have since changed my RTH altitude to 130 feet to avoid something similar.

Exactly one of the reasons I don't like RTH. I don't where 3DR tested their antennas, maybe the desert certainly not in a urban setting like I live in. Hopefully Solo V2 will be better. This is a 1K plus set up, not a $49 toy. In all my hundreds of flights with my P2 I never, never lost reception with the crappy little transmitter it had LOL

Reactions: rrmccabe
I was above 50 feet....at 60 something feet, that is why it did not raise.

And I flew into the path of a 2.4 ghz video transmitter directional antenna....so that might have something to do with the signal loss.

I have since changed my RTH altitude to 130 feet to avoid something similar.

Yea yours was RTH. I am just saying the other video was not. But 3DR needs to make that a user setting. I assume you set that with tower?

yes I used Tower to change RTL_ALT parameter.

in the video i posted, you can actually hear some tones when the solo goes into RTH and books it left. You might have to turn the bass down to hear it. I only heard it using the cheap speakers on my wife's PC, but it is there.

RTH seems to come really fast on these things. No delay!

put 2 new props on it and flew it again today....no issues.

return to home works like it should now (goes up to 130 feet first)

return to home works like it should now (goes up to 130 feet first)

After your post this morning I changed my RTH height to 250 ish.

Edit I just looked.. Stupid centimeters. Actually 165'. I probably will bump it up a little more.

This is my first post. I'm on the fence between the Phantom 3 or this Solo.
What is Tower or MP? I assume it some 3rd part app?
Default, there is no way to adjust the RTH height?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig