crashed my drone. how to take props off

Reaction score
I crashed my drone the other day and the props are broken but i can't seem to get them off the motors. I bought allen wrench and it feels as if im stripping it when i twist so i discontinued that theory. Anyone have this problem or has crashed and gotten them off?

the aluminum centers of the props has flat spots you can put a wrench on. don't forget that on set is counter clockwise. next you need something to keep the motor from turning. Sometimes I could hold it, but twice I use a small screwdriver in the top being careful not to hit the windings and not bend the vents. probable not the best way but it worked for me. there must be a better way to hold the motors small "strap wrench"? any suggestions would be helpful.

Small Channel locks and something soft to protect the paint should hold it pretty sturdy and are good and adjustable, especially the newer style that click into place with a button to release. They'd almost have to be the newer ones mine are vice grip and have a circular cut out in the end, others may damage the case.

On the off chance that your learning get out in an open field so you feel great, Practice until your certain on your moves. I utilized prop guard again and again at the starting and after that I discovered myself utilizing them less and less and enhance myself getting more secure with flying.

An oversight on 3DR's part to not supply a motor wrench of some sort, but you have options.. I don't believe there are any patents on the idea of a motor wrench btw...

If you can find a strap wrench, rubber strap, that's narrow enough that should work well in holding the motors. As an example..... Strap Wrenches - Wrenches - Hand Tools -  The Home Depot

I see them everywhere now, ACE hardware, Loews, HD and even bargain bins within the same.

Hi,

Just reading through these comments. I just crashed my solo for the 1st time, and couldnt remove the broken props or any of them. Thought id share with everyone how i got them off. I used a very large rubberband to grip the motor and twist off the props as normal. No wrench, no worry about damaging threads. They came off easily.
Thxs

Reactions: RichWest
Are you reusing the pods? I would be nervous because one may me on the brink of failure. That would be costly.

I crashed my drone the other day and the props are broken but i can't seem to get them off the motors. I bought allen wrench and it feels as if im stripping it when i twist so i discontinued that theory. Anyone have this problem or has crashed and gotten them off?

I just used pliers large enough to hold the motor in place and just used another set of pliers to twist the cap off cuz thats basically all that left of my props.
They might scratch your motors a little bit at that pt thats the least of your worries.

I just used pliers large enough to hold the motor in place and just used another set of pliers to twist the cap off cuz thats basically all that left of my props.
They might scratch your motors a little bit at that pt thats the least of your worries.
It would be best to find something rubber, like a few rubber bands, to wrap around the motor housing for grip instead of using pliers. If you even slightly deform that housing you will be terribly out of balance and very hard to correct once the housing isn't perfectly round any more.

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado