Reaction score
Hi there!
I just downloaded the B4U fly app, and it says I've got 11 "airports" in a 5 mile radius. However they all seem to be heliports for medical centers and a few television stations. I plan on flying in a local park and was wondering if it was necessary to call all the heliports and let them know of my filming. I'm in Pittsburgh if that helps. Also are we allowed to fly anywhere including over a city? I want to fly it around the city a little bit but wasn't sure the exact rules.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Crab!
Basically you can't fly within 5 miles of an airport or over 400' above the ground. Don't know if there are any local restrictions in Pittsburgh.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to contact hospitals. I would just stay away from them, particularly any areas where you see helicopters approaching or departing.

Reactions: RoundishCrab4
Maddog is right on. Just follow the guidelines set for us and you will be ok. When I fly within the city limits, I usually stay below 200 ft. That gives me clearance for most obstacles, and is below any aircraft that may be in the area. As for flying over the city, be careful, as we are not supposed to fly over crowds or events. Welcome to the forum, Crab, and safe flying. On a side note.....Maddog's avatar is getting more menacing each time. Smaller but with a bigger bite.....:D

Welcome to the forum Crab!
Basically you can't fly within 5 miles of an airport or over 400' above the ground. Don't know if there are any local restrictions in Pittsburgh.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to contact hospitals. I would just stay away from them, particularly any areas where you see helicopters approaching or departing.
Thank you! And yes I know about the FAA guidelines, so you think I shouldn't bother? Makes it easier For me. Thanks.

Maddog is right on. Just follow the guidelines set for us and you will be ok. When I fly within the city limits, I usually stay below 200 ft. That gives me clearance for most obstacles, and is below any aircraft that may be in the area. As for flying over the city, be careful, as we are not supposed to fly over crowds or events. Welcome to the forum, Crab, and safe flying. On a side note.....Maddog's avatar is getting more menacing each time. Smaller but with a bigger bite.....:D
Awesome thanks so much guys. Appreciate the hospitality. I was wondering, are we allowed to fly in county parks? A park ranger kicked me out at home but after looking up laws it doesn't seem they're allowed to. I obliged obviously but still was wondering

Reactions: Maddog
I think it differs from county to county. I fly in my local county parks, and have had no problems. You did right by leaving, even though you felt you were in the right. Smart move. There is nothing to be gained by arguing rules with a park ranger. You will not change his mind most times. Maybe look for some soccer fields, or even baseball fields not in use. They make good places to hone your flying skills while still staying close by. Good luck, and happy flying.

I think it differs from county to county. I fly in my local county parks, and have had no problems. You did right by leaving, even though you felt you were in the right. Smart move. There is nothing to be gained by arguing rules with a park ranger. You will not change his mind most times. Maybe look for some soccer fields, or even baseball fields not in use. They make good places to hone your flying skills while still staying close by. Good luck, and happy flying.
That's what I thought. Thanks very much!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo