Compass calibration with the gimbal attached?

Really??? So the information that you were told is...to do the level and compass calibration with the GoPro IN the Gimbal....?
I always thought the extra weight in the gimbal from having the GoPro in there would do damage to the Gimbal flopping around while doing the calibration..??? So is 3DR saying that the gimbal is design to move around with the GoPro still attached doing the calibration ?
That's what I was told by 3DR support because I was wondering that my self.

Thanks for passing the information...it's good to know
Oh and forgot to say, I hope you never at some point tried to calibrate the compass with no Gopro on because I think this damages the gimbal Motors.

Oh and forgot to say, I hope you never at some point tried to calibrate the compass with no Gopro on because I think this damages the gimbal Motors.
Thanks for the tip...! I think I might of did that once...but did no damage as far as I know! But I'll make sure that the GoPro is in the Gimbal when doing the calibration from this day forward:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Projeffrey11
Thanks for the tip...! I think I might of did that once...but did no damage as far as I know! But I'll make sure that the GoPro is in the Gimbal when doing the calibration for this day forward:)
Also the morning update is not coming I've already talked to customer representative they pushed the date to the 15th.... Much like the gimbal, but now on firmware updates. o_O

Thanks for the tip...! I think I might of did that once...but did no damage as far as I know! But I'll make sure that the GoPro is in the Gimbal when doing the calibration from this day forward:)
The keyword is "I think." Was this information given via an engineer!

The keyword is "I think." Was this information given via an engineer!

This might help:
Never power the gimbal without camera attached. The motors will oscillate
continuously which can result in a burnt motor and the driver. For longer
lifetime function, the camera COG should be balanced (the camera is
balanced when released at any angle) before power is supplied

Reactions: Maddog
This might help:
Good to know!! Thanks

It does make more sense to have the camera out for your calibrations for weight reasons

To me, altering the configuration to anything other then what it will be during normal flight could/would create false calibrations.

Having any gimbal powered up without the proper resistance (aka weight) it was designed to manage, will damage a gimbal. If not then, then soon, if it happens to often.

My 2 cents worth is the same. I was told yesterday by 3DR tech support to do compass and level calibrations with GoPro in the gimbal.

Reactions: Del
This might help:
and don't forget to take the blasted foam gimbal lock out.:eek:

Hey, Raybro.......Do you call it "the blasted foam gimbal lock" because of how hard it is to reinstall? I have called it much worse, myself...:mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: Raybro
Hey, Raybro.......Do you call it "the blasted foam gimbal lock" because of how hard it is to reinstall? I have called it much worse, myself...:mad::mad::mad:
LOL! As a matter of fact I was just yanking on that thing trying to get it out! It is a bit*h to get out!
Yes, hard to put in, hard to take out.

Reactions: Chuck
That is no lie. I checked the gimbal movement while in my hard case, and it was very secure with no movement, so I quit using it. A lot less cussing.....

Reactions: Raybro
Guys... Cut that small lip off the foam gimbal retainer. Much easier to slide in and out but still stays put.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Trainerjon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela