Compass calibration with the gimbal attached?

Reaction score
Should I remove the gimbal before I do this? or use the foam block that comes with the gimbal for transportation purposes ?
I just don't want to damage the gimbal by rotating the solo with the gimbal flopping around all over the place. How do you guys do yours.

Cheers
Glen L

Should I remove the gimbal before I do this? or use the foam block that comes with the gimbal for transportation purposes ?
I just don't want to damage the gimbal by rotating the solo with the gimbal flopping around all over the place. How do you guys do yours.

Cheers
Glen L
I always kinda wondered about this to?
But when I'm doing it..I make sure I don't have the Foam block in the gimbal..then power up!! And I've done level and compass calibration with the gopro in and also with the GoPro out sometimes!
So is everybody els doing it this way? I hope!

I always kinda wondered about this to?
But when I'm doing it..I make sure I don't have the Foam block in the gimbal..then power up!! And I've done level and compass calibration with the gopro in and also with the GoPro out sometimes!
So is everybody els doing it this way? I hope!

I was kinda figuring that the foam block should always be removed before powering up! so it does not burn out the gimbal motors.
However I find spinning the solo around with the gimbal attached and powered on can't be all that good for it, but hey! I could be wrong.

On my large Hex it's not a problem because I can power off the gimbal and pin it back so it's not flopping around when I do the compass dance.

I can't think of any other way to do it safely really?
I'm thinking that the gimbal is design to move around..even when your doing your calibrations ... Because I don't think there is no other way to do it...as far as I know?

Well if you have done it with the gimbal attached then it should be fine I guess!!
BTW do you calibrate the compass before each flight and or changing flying locations?

Well if you have done it with the gimbal attached then it should be fine I guess!!
BTW do you calibrate the compass before each flight and or changing flying locations?
I don't do it after every flight...it seems like a lot of people have different preferences when they do it..Some will only do a calibration after they detect a problem ...or if they've traveled to a further area ..like 60 miles away! But I like to do it at least every 4 to 6 weeks just to keep Solo in tuned...it dosint hurt!

I do it with the gimbal attached foam gimbal guard removed, minus the GoPro.

Just did it today. Solo gimbal and Hero 4 Black working perfectly.
You would think that the gimbal with gopro flopping around as you twist and turn solo, would add undo stress to the gimbal.

Just did it today. Solo gimbal and Hero 4 Black working perfectly.
You would think that the gimbal with gopro flopping around as you twist and turn solo, would add undo stress to the gimbal.

That was my main concern with the weight of the gopro slamming around can't be all that good for the motors hitting the end points that hard. I think you made a good point here.

It does make more sense to have the camera out for your calibrations for weight reasons
So you're going to calibrate without the GoPro weight, then add the weight after calibrating? Lol!

That was my main concern with the weight of the gopro slamming around can't be all that good for the motors hitting the end points that hard. I think you made a good point here.
With Solo powered up, the gimbal & Gopro don't flop around- they are fairly stable. At least mine is- am I missing something?

So you're going to calibrate without the GoPro weight, then add the weight after calibrating? Lol!
I meant taking the camera right out of the Gimbal when doing calibrations ..because the gimbal dosint need the extra weight of the camera in the gimbal when flopping around while doing the calibration ..

I meant taking the camera right out of the Gimbal when doing calibrations ..because the gimbal dosint need the extra weight of the camera in the gimbal when flopping around while doing the calibration ..
Ahh.. I see. I misunderstood your post. A thousand apologies mi amigo!

Reactions: Del

Cheers
Glen L
3DR customer representative told me it's safe to do a compass calibration with the gimbal just make sure you take the gimbal guard off and have the Gopro connect to the gimbal, another words don't try to do the calibration with no Gopro on the gimbal.

3DR customer representative told me it's safe to do a compass calibration with the gimbal just make sure you take the gimbal guard off and have the Gopro connect to the gimbal, another words don't try to do the calibration with no Gopro on the gimbal.
Really??? So the information that you were told is...to do the level and compass calibration with the GoPro IN the Gimbal....?
I always thought the extra weight in the gimbal from having the GoPro in there would do damage to the Gimbal flopping around while doing the calibration..??? So is 3DR saying that the gimbal is design to move around with the GoPro still attached doing the calibration ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986