collin using alfa antenna

I love my FPVLR's but I may get some alphas for the wider signal angle. I do love the range I get with FPVLR, but I don't always need that distance. I love having options.

the real reason they use ALfAs in public places like these is so they don't look like they are using aftermarket antennas, the alfas look stock enough not to draw too much attention. With FAA regulations they don't want to be singled out and seen using FPVLRs. We have shipped more than 20 kits to 3dr employees so we know what they use when they are alone :)

Hehe, sounds like you folks have the best setup. When I have a few extra bucks laying around, your kit is most likely what I will be going for.

only if you want to fly really far.... as you see in the picture...
now everyone is being a sissy because of FAA...

for people with 00 this can be achieved
Well, that is pretty sweet! I will need to get some oo as you say lol. I just got my quad and am still quite paranoid. I'll give less of a darn soon enough though.

I couldn't care less about what the FAA or anybody else thinks about my equipment- as long as I'm complying with the rules and regulations, they can "think" until their brain herniates.

For those of us who are less-learned: "00" ??

I couldn't care less about what the FAA or anybody else thinks about my equipment- as long as I'm complying with the rules and regulations, they can "think" until their brain herniates.

For those of us who are less-learned: "00" ??
00=Testicular Fortitude/Gonads.. Etc..

I decided to give the FPVLR's a try. I have it, installed it, now just need some warmer weather to give it a try. It's too damn cold in MN to fly right now!

I decided to give the FPVLR's a try. I have it, installed it, now just need some warmer weather to give it a try. It's too damn cold in MN to fly right now!
Try it inside your house- just kidding lol !

I feel your pain- it dropped to 39 here last night and it's only going to be 60 deg here today! :confused:

Reactions: Acroduster

I do get better range with the FPVLR antennas but best of all when I don't have line of sight, I still have a good signal which the stock antennas could not do that.

test stock vs fvlr
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

not even sure you need to spend money on those
They have been on my Amazon wish list for months.
Just dont seem to need them. Now maybe if I were hiking into some remote part of the world and filming ancient ruins somewhere
I regularly fly out a half mile using my FPVLR antenna. I do have to be mindful of a lot of things when I do this. A good clear view around me before trees and brush are in range. Also the further I flyout, I need to rise in elevation since the farther the distance, the lower the angle in line of sight. For example, if I wanted to fly out to 1000' I'd probably just rise to 100 feet in order to avoid most treetops. If I want to fly out past 2000' I would start to rise once I crossed 1000' away so that I end up around 200' feet altitude high at longest range. Obvious issues like intervening elevated ridges should be accounted for and most likely avoided for long range flights. Also close battery power level monitoring is always required, and one should be very concerned if flying far away and less than about 35% battery levels. RTH altitude should also be considered and adjusted upwards before doing any such long range tests. I have mine set above 160 feet. Interesting scenery requires interesting tools. I'm still interested in the Alfas because of the directionality limitations of the FPVLR. I haven't really seen anyone with an understanding of the factors I've brought up do any reasonable comparison with metrics detailed. The one video with feet away showing was done by this guy with no gimbal, and his footage looked like he was overiding RTH repeatedly to get out to 4k range with the FPVLR. So maybe he was doing that for money.
In any case, I might give these Alfa's a try and report back. They're cheap enough as they are, and might fit into the backpack like FPVLR does not.

Last edited:
I did a controlled test with a friend's Alpha's before I went with the FPVLR setup. In every instance I could only get half the distance with the Alpha's compared with the stock Solo antennas. I did the same test when I got the FPVLR's, and got more than twice the distance over the stock antennas. Even being somewhat directional, I love my FPVLR's.

I did a controlled test with a friend's Alpha's before I went with the FPVLR setup. In every instance I could only get half the distance with the Alpha's compared with the stock Solo antennas. I did the same test when I got the FPVLR's, and got more than twice the distance over the stock antennas. Even being somewhat directional, I love my FPVLR's.

Metrics?

With my stock antennas I got around 2200 ft. in an open area with no wifi congestion. In the same place with the Alpha setup, I got around 1125 ft. My FPVLR's in the same area got about 5250 ft. before I chickened out with 2 bars still remaining on my signal strength. I got the FPVLR setup mainly for stronger signals closer in for flying behind trees and obstacles that would normally trigger a RTH with the other antennas. I hope this answers your question. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela