cheapest best tablet

I got a free one from verizon a while back. It was not on the supported software list but it loaded the ap fine from the download.

doesn't get much cheaper than free, but I am sure you are looking for a supported model.

I got a free one from verizon a while back. It was not on the supported software list but it loaded the ap fine from the download.

doesn't get much cheaper than free, but I am sure you are looking for a supported model.
Cheaper is not always better. I tried an Acer 8" tablet running 4.4 KitKat, and it would not work. It would not even pull up the Solo App from Playstore. Come to find out, it could not handle the video downlink from Solo. My advice would be to go ahead and spend a little more, and save yourself some frustration. Believe me, I know. Hope this helps....Good luck

I agree with Chuck. I'm running on my iPhone 6 Plus which works great, but I'm worried about receiving a phone call mid-flight, hah! Has that happened to anyone? I suppose you can go into airplane mode and just enable Wi-Fi alone, but then you won't get the map if you rely on that.

Reactions: redtarga
It would not be fun answering a call while flying. I wanted a tablet strictly for Solo, so I opted for the wifi only Tab 4. I haven't taken it out very far yet, but so far the video quality is great.

I hijacked my daughter's iPad mini 2...but have decided to dedicate a tablet to the solo. So, I just bought a Nexus 7 (2013 edition) with cell service for $140 off eBay. Hopefully it works out well.

Cheers.

I picked up a Samsung Tab 4 from Amazon and it works great.....$147

I agree with Chuck. I'm running on my iPhone 6 Plus which works great, but I'm worried about receiving a phone call mid-flight, hah! Has that happened to anyone? I suppose you can go into airplane mode and just enable Wi-Fi alone, but then you won't get the map if you rely on that.
I got a call on my iPhone 5S while flying my previous P2V+. I simply sent the call to voice mail. Was quick and nothing got interrupted.

I got a call on my iPhone 5S while flying my previous P2V+. I simply sent the call to voice mail. Was quick and nothing got interrupted.

Ah good to know. I figure you could just deny the call, but I wasn't sure if the app would disconnect and have trouble reconnecting to get the video feed back. Thanks!

Ah good to know. I figure you could just deny the call, but I wasn't sure if the app would disconnect and have trouble reconnecting to get the video feed back. Thanks!

I'm glad someone brought this up as I have had the app crash or go into the background on two occasions.

The first time it crashed when I received a calendar reminder on screen. My iPhone 6 became unresponsive for almost a minute. The second time was today when my wife texted me during flight. Since I normally fly LOS and the controller did not buzz I did not realize the app was not running. Now it did not crash, it just went to the background and I opened it back up.

It would not be fun answering a call while flying. I wanted a tablet strictly for Solo, so I opted for the wifi only Tab 4. I haven't taken it out very far yet, but so far the video quality is great.
I thought that Cellular was necessary because of the gps. If not, why does 3DR recommend mobile devices with cellular?

I thought you needed it in order for the follow me mode to work. Thanks for the information FlexFanatic. This is a big help. Thank you.

I bought the 8" Galaxy Tab 4 and it works really well. $170 from Costco.

Ryan G

I think I'm going to just buy a Nexus 7 (2013 model) with LTE since I was able to sell me Dell Venue Pro 8 on ebay.

Question, will I need to activate the LTE service to use features like selfie and will I need to cache maps?

You don't actually need LTE to do any of that. I suggest (if possible), caching your maps on WiFi. In the field, you can't use LTE and WiFi at the same time. Having cell service in the field is good for sending trouble tickets and caching maps for areas you didn't know you were going to fly in but not a necessity.

You don't actually need LTE to do any of that. I suggest (if possible), caching your maps on WiFi. In the field, you can't use LTE and WiFi at the same time. Having cell service in the field is good for sending trouble tickets and caching maps for areas you didn't know you were going to fly in but not a necessity.

Some of the Android tablets have GPS built in even without 4G/Cell service. Is this enough for some of the Solo "features". Fore example Best Buy has a Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro for $199.99 right now. The specs show GPS onboard.

I think I'm going to just buy a Nexus 7 (2013 model) with LTE since I was able to sell me Dell Venue Pro 8 on ebay.

Question, will I need to activate the LTE service to use features like selfie and will I need to cache maps?
i don't think theese are being made any more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44