cheapest best tablet

Some of the Android tablets have GPS built in even without 4G/Cell service. Is this enough for some of the Solo "features". Fore example Best Buy has a Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro for $199.99 right now. The specs show GPS onboard.
i tried one of them and we could not get it to work.
would not let us into play store.
took it back and got a galaxy tab s 8.4.
works like an old Buick.

i tried one of them and we could not get it to work.
would not let us into play store.
took it back and got a galaxy tab s 8.4.
works like an old Buick.

Do you have to cache maps with the Galaxy Tab. If not I may pick up one while its on sale.

Some of the Android tablets have GPS built in even without 4G/Cell service. Is this enough for some of the Solo "features". Fore example Best Buy has a Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro for $199.99 right now. The specs show GPS onboard.

I'm not really sure what your response is inferring. The GPS on your tablet is useless because there is a GPS radio on SOLO, that black block that sits in front of the battery is the GPS radio. Solo uses that GPS radio to perform all the smart shots. You will still have to cache your maps before your tablet connects to the Solo WiFi network because the solo WiFi network doesn't access the internet.

I'm going to sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow. I hate TouchWiz but I want a dedicated device so I don't have to use my iPhone 6.

I'm going to sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow. I hate TouchWiz but I want a dedicated device so I don't have to use my iPhone 6.

If you don't plan on using Tower and don't like TouchWiz, go with an iPad Mini 2 device. You're not gaining much and there are also apps that will allow you to cache maps for offline use. None of which matter because you'd have to pull the map up in the Solo app before you cache it anyway.

If you decide on a Galaxy Tab, don't get the 7" Model.
It doesn't fit either way in the Solo's Controller.

I swapped mine for a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4" at BB and couldn't be happier.
Its got 2560 x 1600 Resolution, 2.3GHz CPU, GPS and 16GB for RAM for $199 (Reg $299)

What's also great about the Android is you can pull the SD Card from the GoPro and plug it in to watch what you just finished recording.

You can go for Spidotech Sleek W1. It has a good processor, Android KitKat OS and the price is just £35.99.

Cheaper is not always better. I tried an Acer 8" tablet running 4.4 KitKat, and it would not work. It would not even pull up the Solo App from Playstore. Come to find out, it could not handle the video downlink from Solo. My advice would be to go ahead and spend a little more, and save yourself some frustration. Believe me, I know. Hope this helps....Good luck
My Acer Iconia 8" has been working great. That being said, there are many different versions of the Acer 8 Tablet. I specifically bought the FHD unit (A1-840FHD-18YE) that has a high resolution 1920X1200 screen. It runs Solo app and Tower great. At $160CAD on sale, it was a good small alternative to my iPad Air 2.

I like that it adds an HDMI out and a micro SD card reader - updated hardware compared to the Nexus 7 2013. I intend to get one of those new HUD eye pieces (Vufine?) to try. This will be great plugged into the tablet as it will show all the app overlays that the Solo controller HDMI out won't pass through.

I had the prior Nexus 7 and the issues with the USB charging port really turned me off of that line. When I plug in my tablet to charge at night, I want to know that it'll be charged up when I grab it to use it and not just barely trickle charging.

Last edited:
Hi was wondering the same, I just got the drone yesterday can't wait to give it a whirl bit does the tablet need data on it or just needs gps? Seen a $90 Lenovo one with gps.

Ah good to know. I figure you could just deny the call, but I wasn't sure if the app would disconnect and have trouble reconnecting to get the video feed back. Thanks!

Set up call forwarding to your voicemail in the settings.
You'll have wifi + mobile data (4g) for maps and air information.
You will only get the voicemail pop up if someone leaves you a message.
I use it all the time with my iPhone 6S+

I bought a pawn shop Nexus 7 (2013) for 75.00 bucks. Looks new. It has the LTE option so, therefore has GPS.
It works great with my Solo. I've been testing the follow me leash mode using the Nexus and it works fine without cell service.

I just need to figure out how to cache the maps so I can use them when out of wifi. Thought I did but it doesn't show up on the screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks