Cellular, wi-fi, gps. Please help with my understanding

Reaction score
Hi,
As usual, I have read up and searched about what tablets are best and I keep coming back to Nexus 7 2013 and iPad mini 2 cellular.

First I will say what I thought I knew last week and what I "think" I know now.

I know I need gps for location purposes and "follow me" etc but I assumed I didn't need cellular because of that. My thoughts last week were "I don't need cellular at all because my CoPilot navigation works without cellular and I can see where I am on the map". This week I realised that this is because the maps are already downloaded (dumb*rs*).

Correct me if I am wrong but without pre cached maps or a cellular connection all I will have is my location on a blank screen but "follow me" etc will work ok. Also, this is obvious, even if I do have cellular but flying somewhere obscure with no signal the same thing applies. So if I know I am flying somewhere without a signal it is best to cache the maps beforehand.

So I will be off in a minute to learn how to do that. Next question, can I cache maps on the iPad mini as well as a Nexus 7? Something I read here made me think this is only possible with the Nexus.

I don't want to pay for cellular just for the tablet because I won't be using it often enough to justify the cost. So I was thinking of tethering my phone to my wife's mini 2 wifi for now before shelling out on a cellular version or Nexus.

Just thought, unlike iPads do all Nexus 7's have gps built in?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Graham

Well I went ahead and bought an iPad mini 4 cellular. I am considering getting a cheap data sim £2 per month with 100mb data to avoid tethering.

Is this going to be enough for perhaps 3 or 4 outings a month. In other words, how much data does it use on average to get the maps?

Appreciate replies before I order a sim

Thanks

Graham

Already bought the iPad cellular but I might try tethering for data before paying for it separately

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela