Best charging practices

Reaction score
I have a Solo with 6 batteries; I use the UAS about twice a month, as part of my video production business.
Because there is a fair amount of time between charges, the batteries are usually about 3/4 full when it's time to prep for a shoot the night before. Am I shortening the life of these batteries by regularly recharging them from 3/4 charged? what is the best recommended way to maximize their efficiency? I hate charging all six, then using 3, and doing it all again.

I have a Solo with 6 batteries; I use the UAS about twice a month, as part of my video production business.
Because there is a fair amount of time between charges, the batteries are usually about 3/4 full when it's time to prep for a shoot the night before. Am I shortening the life of these batteries by regularly recharging them from 3/4 charged? what is the best recommended way to maximize their efficiency? I hate charging all six, then using 3, and doing it all again.

I recomend a flight log of packs. If you only fly three packs at a time keep 3-4 fully charged. Cycle them then use another set. Logging each cycle. That wayyouare not keeping all packs fully charged relying on the self discharge

It's recommended that you discharge them to about 1/4 and then complete a full charge cycle. Batteries are going to be a big issue and it's probably time you watched Drone Worships video on building batteries should you wish to continue using the solo.

It's recommended that you discharge them to about 1/4 and then complete a full charge cycle. Batteries are going to be a big issue and it's probably time you watched Drone Worships video on building batteries should you wish to continue using the solo.
Can you possibly provide us with a link to the video you mentioned? I would love to see it.
SKuhn68

The 3dr solo uses Lipo batteries, which should be stored at 70% charge or ~3.7 V per cell. So storing them at 3/4 charge is pretty good for these batts. It's best to not leave them fully charged for more than a few days, and since lipo don't develop "memory" there is no need to fully discharge before recharging. Keep them stored in a cool (not freezing) and dry environment and they'll last you a long time.

The 3dr solo uses Lipo batteries, which should be stored at 70% charge or ~3.7 V per cell. So storing them at 3/4 charge is pretty good for these batts. It's best to not leave them fully charged for more than a few days, and since lipo don't develop "memory" there is no need to fully discharge before recharging. Keep them stored in a cool (not freezing) and dry environment and they'll last you a long time.
So.... no link then?

I had a different answer than the person you asked before, but here is a link supporting my claim. They actually say to store at 3.8 V per cell.

Does anyone have a good understanding of what the lights on the battery mean? I just assumed the lights show the max voltage range for the pack from 3.0 V to 4.2 V per cell, but that could be wrong.

Anyway, I typically store my packs at 5/8 lights, which if my assumption above is correct means 3.7-3.8V per cell.

Can you possibly provide us with a link to the video you mentioned? I would love to see it.
SKuhn68
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Play at your own risk.... great.... now that 80's song is stuck in my head....

Just curious, has he commented on the battery flight time with the new battery? With camera and gimbal down to what percentage...
Not that I saw, but then again, I didn't watch the whole thing, either someone will make a battery pack for sale or we are all slightly screwed. Someone mentioned that there may be a commercial venture in the works, but not sure if it's just hopeful rumor or something that was mentioned on the bookface..... besides, if you made your own battery, would you slap yer gimbal and camera on it, or try to get a sh*t ton of flights done first.. :D

The Dept. of Interior bought 250+ Solos. I think that is the driver for the new production battery. The venture otherwise is someone making an opportunity.

DIY smart battery....maybe two flights. Mom always said, sh*t or get off the pot....

Reactions: DJMc
I'm all about supporting people's opportunities. If they could give out a little more info (pricing, availability, expected flight times) I'd gladly join in on pre-orders. I think the DIY'ers who also want to develop a business are the future of the SOLO.

Reactions: DJMc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela