Battery Discharge while not being used?

Reaction score
Should Solo's battery lose charge while not in use?
2 of my batteries need about 10min. charge time after staying on table for over 2 to 3 days.
Normal?

Thanks

I have many batteries. I've not flown for two weeks. When I checked them, they were all at 5/8 dots. So it seems pretty uniform standby drop rate. Wasn't expecting it to be that quick

Reactions: SteveReno
I have many batteries. I've not flown for two weeks. When I checked them, they were all at 5/8 dots. So it seems pretty uniform standby drop rate. Wasn't expecting it to be that quick
Thanks for the reply & info.
I thought it might be the norm, but i remember receiving these & other batteries via mail & they were all about 1/2 charged.
If they lose a "Dot" every 3 days, then 30 days they exhausted there charge?
Can't be?
Smart Battery? Not so much.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply & info.
I thought it might be the norm, but i remember receiving these & other batteries via mail & they were all about 1/2 charged.
If they lose a "Dot" every 3 days, then 30 days they exhausted there charge?
Can't be?
Smart Battery? Not so much.
Yes It seems to be the normal I have 5 batteries and every 3 day's they R down 3 dots put of 8.....Basically I need to charge the night before and by morning they R probabaly at 90% already ......The batteries suck at $ 200 a piece in Canada

Yes It seems to be the normal I have 5 batteries and every 3 day's they R down 3 dots put of 8.....Basically I need to charge the night before and by morning they R probabaly at 90% already ......The batteries suck at $ 200 a piece in Canada
This seems to be the "Norm" then.
Several members have confirmed this. Must be the nature of this type of battery.
thanks all whom replied.

They are designed to discharge down over time. These types of Batterys (Lipo) are very unstable at full charge. A quick youtube search (Lipo fires) and you will have a new respect for them. I have 5 batterys and 2 chargers. Currantly I only charge when im going to be awake and in the same proximity of the batterys being charged. Although I think im going to contruct some sort of charging station in my basement using a cement block and patio stones. I'm not taking any chances. Please guys don't charge this batterys or any for that matter while your sleeping or away.

Mine were the same.. (I have 3) all were fully charged and when I went to go fly they were down to about 1/2 over 2 weeks time..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If you were to leave your batteries fully charged for weeks at a time, after a year you would see significant flight time reduction as the capacity decreases.
Staying 'full' is detrimental to a LiPo. On a standard Lipo you should always finish the day with charging your batteries up to storage level (1/2 full, 15.2 volts on 4S). Your batteries will last longer if you do this.
I did a bit of measuring of these batteries, and whilst storage charging them to half I noticed that storage level of these batteries equates to 5/8 leds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Timmytimetravel
I've watched my smart battery over a week
And it's still 5/8 vs previous period. So far I concur. The smart battery has dropped to storage voltage. See what happens in coming weeks. It's seems like night before charge fest is the way to go. Bring on the 4 way charger . What happened to that ?

Philip from 3DR has confirmed on the Facebook group that these packs do not have any self-discharge capability. That is not one of their smart features.

I monitored 3 of my packs at various charge states over a 2 week period and none of them lost more than 0.3V over that period.

Right now I have a pack that I fully charged on Saturday and it still has all lights lit when I checked it.

Are you charging your packs until the lights all go out and the charger shows a green light?

Ok , this is good to know.
It also means that if the batteries are to be left for an extended period they should be only charged to 5/8 leds, or discharged to storage voltage.

Correct, although I do recall Philip saying that there was less need to be too worried about leaving them fully charged as they were more tolerant to that than most other packs.

Personally, a week is about my comfort level, and it is rare that I'd go longer than that.

Interesting. Another week has gone by and my testing pack is still at 5/8. I always charge them till the lights go out because I'm usually flying within a few days again. So all my batteries discharged from full down to 5/8 over 2-3 weeks then the one I left stayed the same over another week so far.

Sounds ideal to me however weird to hear it's not by design according to 3dr

So after 7 weeks I decided to charge my test battery. It was still at 5/8 before I put it on charge. I conclude it drops to that level quickly when not used but stays at that level for a long time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig