Balancing gimbal for camera accessories?

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience with balancing a gimbal? I swapped out my gopro lens for a 5.4 rectilinear and I have a filter adapter and assorted filters which I want to use (one at a time) I have seen online where people have used coins and adhesive on the back of a gimbal for this. Just wondering if there's a scientific way to approach this or just start sticking pennies and see how it works. I was also thinking I might get a ceiling fan blade balancing kit from Home Depot - pre made adhesive weights. Any experienced advice appreciated!

Reactions: ronbo
It depends on the gimbal and it's power, but in the case of the Zen it didn't have it. I am sure you could balance the GoPro, but what I did then was add the same weight to the back as was being added to the front. The filters I have for Phantom 3 however are not stackable, so it limits their use, but I do that when I add a filter and it helps (and gets rid of intermittent gimbal errors). .

In the case of the of the PEAU 5.4, I can stack filters, and so if needed (don't know if it will or won't be needed) I will add velcro to the back of ther GoPro (the fuzzy side) and the other (hook side) to little pieces of aluminum about 1/2 CM square.(the filters are light). I have a digital gram scale and will use that to determine what I need.

Reactions: JonW
I was also thinking I might get a ceiling fan blade balancing kit from Home Depot - pre made adhesive weights. Any experienced advice appreciated!
If you have a golf supply anywhere close, they sell lead tape that is fairly thin. You should not need much fwiw...

If you have a golf supply anywhere close, they sell lead tape that is fairly thin. You should not need much fwiw...
Problem is you need to take them on and off. In my case fairly regularly. There are cases where I use 3 filters, and others where I use none.

Perhaps 3dr should provide some guidance on this subject as they would know the design tolerance of the gimbal.

I have the 4.35 Peau lens and ND filters. Have not had to add any weight with the 3DR Gimbal.

Reactions: JonW and z3r01
I have the 4.35 Peau lens and ND filters. Have not had to add any weight with the 3DR Gimbal.
Excellent! That likely means the force is strong with this one :)
Different lens and FOV, but the weight should be the same. Have you tried multiple filters?
Can't wait to get it installed and put through the paces.

Are yours the 30mm filters with adapter ring? If so, that's good news. That's what I have. I went for the glass filters. Are yours glass or plastic?

Are yours the 30mm filters with adapter ring? If so, that's good news. That's what I have. I went for the glass filters. Are yours glass or plastic?
Yes. 30mm w/SuperMount. ND2, ND4, ND8 (x2) and Circular polarizer. Glass all the way :) Life is to short for cheap optics...

How many 30mm glass filters together supports the gimbal without losing stability?

I just saw that B&H has 3DR gimbal counterbalance weights, but they are not available yet. They show as special order and can only be put in your wish list. They aren't even on 3DR's site yet. But it looks like the gimbal will have screw holes in the back to add the weights.

I just saw that B&H has 3DR gimbal counterbalance weights, but they are not available yet. They show as special order and can only be put in your wish list. They aren't even on 3DR's site yet. But it looks like the gimbal will have screw holes in the back to add the weights.

According to 3DR video, the gimbal comes with weights. They screw into bosses on the top and bottom of camera. No weight required for GoPro 4 black.

According to 3DR video, the gimbal comes with weights. They screw into bosses on the top and bottom of camera. No weight required for GoPro 4 black.
Thanks for the info. Now I know not to order the .

Back-Bone just released an adjustable counter balance clip for the Solo a couple days ago. You can find more info on their site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus