Any advice on how to make video smoother without a gimbal?

Reaction score
Hi,

As most of you, i'm still waiting anxiously for the gimbal, but in the mean time i'm stilly flying my solo, and taking videos. I'm looking for ideas / advice on how to make shakiness less noticeable. Should i angle the camera in a particular way? Anything else? Also, quite frequently the videos i get a tilted horizontally, any idea what causes that? Solo appears to be flying pretty straight.

Thanks,
-happyflr

Best way I've found is fly manual and let the bird drift, the uneven horizons gone cause it's not compensating for wind and vids smooth as silk. You do have only smooth footage the length of the area your flying since it drifts pretty fast with wind and you have to manually reset yourself to the end opposite the wind. Also steady backwards flying helps as well.

I also have been using the video plus pics mode gopro offers, before not having a gimbal I never tried it but it's great cause the pics are still perfect without a gimbal. I'm sure more experienced guys have other tricks but manual and this vid plus pics mode have been my best friend pre gimbal.

Reactions: happyflr
Best way I've found is fly manual and let the bird drift, the uneven horizons gone cause it's not compensating for wind and vids smooth as silk. You do have only smooth footage the length of the area your flying since it drifts pretty fast with wind and you have to manually reset yourself to the end opposite the wind. Also steady backwards flying helps as well.

I also have been using the video plus pics mode gopro offers, before not having a gimbal I never tried it but it's great cause the pics are still perfect without a gimbal. I'm sure more experienced guys have other tricks but manual and this vid plus pics mode have been my best friend pre gimbal.
I will try that, thx!

The best thing I've done personally is use Premiere's wobble / stabilization correction.

That was the only video that sort of looked "tolerable" but then the framing bounces around like crazy.

I've also tried the video + photo mode (automatic photos every 30 seconds). I can't get anywhere close to what 3DR has displayed on their Instagram account.

I'm going to try photo only mode this weekend.

Reactions: happyflr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44