An Easier Way to Get .bin (DataFlash) logs And More..(UPDATE)

Reaction score
As many of you may know, there is a great deal more information in the .bin logs than there are in the more common .tlog files. I know that most users that retrieve the .bin files go about it by SSHing into the Pixhawk 2 where they are stored. In addition, 3DR has removed the ability to email logs to your self. Fear not.. there is an easier way I found poking around today. My apologies if this is old news.

When you use the support feature in the Solo app to open a ticket, it emails approximately 13 files to support. These include the last 3 flight in both .bin and .tlog formats. In addition, there are 7 files I am not familiar with, including Shotlog files for the last 3 flights, a video.log, 3dr-wifi.log and a couple others.

To retrieve them, I use the included File Manager that is on my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet. I go to the Support Folder in the path in the image below. On the file I want I just long press on the file name and from that menu I email them to myself or upload to my Drive folder.

Not sure the process if you use Apple. Maybe someone more familiar with their products can help. I know Apple does not like people looking at 'their' system folders.
HdiuTP

EDIT: 3/13..
OK. After breaking down some of the logs:

3DR-WiFi.log: This file is as expected. It is 30sec of WiFi data from each of the last 3 flights. It is updated every second. Here is a sample of what is collected:
Mar 6 19:08:10 3dr_solo local3.info rssi_send: survey freq=2457 noise=-94 active=999 busy=80 ext_busy=0 rx=74 tx=0
Mar 6 19:08:11 3dr_solo local3.info rssi_send: station sig=-29 txr=130.0 rxr=104.0 ret=1 err=0

3DR-Solo.log: This file appears to be a report of the startup sequence and details the versions of HW/FW/SW. Here is a sample:
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: pixhawk.py starting
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: checking baud...
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: found at 921600
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: no new firmware file
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: build version build=1.2.23 ardupilot=73e08529 px4=5e693274 nuttx=d48fa307
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: now running:
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: build_version 1.2.23
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: ardupilot_git_hash 73e08529
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: px4_git_hash 5e693274
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: nuttx_git_hash d48fa307
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: pixhawk status: ready
Mar 6 19:08:02 3dr_solo local1.info pix: pixhawk.py finished

Shotlog.002.log: This appears to be more system checks:
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: starting up v2.1.0.
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: got api vehicle
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: reset all DZ
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: enabling remapping False
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: disabling stick remapping
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: ready for connections
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: creating a new connectThread
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: read in button mappings
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: Button A - shot FLY, mode Stabilize
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: Button B - shot FLY, mode FLY: Manual
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: read enabled value from settings of 1
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: sending gimbal enabled param (GMB_GP_CTRL) to 1.000000
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: Inited GoProManager
Mar 6 18:13:34 3dr_solo local2.info shot: Gimbal detected.

3DR-video.log: Data collected related to the video stream to Solo:
Mar 6 19:09:20 3dr_controller local3.info streamer: starting: built Mar 4 2016 02:03:04
Mar 6 19:09:20 3dr_controller local3.info hdmi: Waiting for an HDMI connection
Mar 6 19:09:31 3dr_controller local3.info streamer: pkts=0 bytes=2 drops=0
Mar 6 19:09:40 3dr_controller local3.info streamer: pkts=42 bytes=2052 drops=0

Between the files above and the incredible amount of information contained in the .bin and .tlog files, it is an incredible amount of information that 3DR has at it's disposal to see just where an issue is or was during a crash or other incident.

Last edited:
Juair,
I have ran the logs in MP & they are working.
Simplest way to get to your latest flight logs, I agree.
As usual, you have have helped the community with this info.

@Jubalr - I followed that path (I have the same tablet) but do not have a "support log" file. Only "releases".

Any ideas?

@Jubalr - I followed that path (I have the same tablet) but do not have a "support log" file. Only "releases".

Any ideas?
Did you file a support ticket via the app? They only show up after you submit a ticket as these are the files that the app gathers when the request is made in order to send them to 3dr.

This is easier to get your logs, but it also does send a support request to 3DR. I would use it sparingly unless someone actually has a problem (and not just wants to look at their logs for the heck of it), or we could overwhelm 3DR support with tickets they don't need to look at which would delay legitimate support tickets (ones with actual problems).

Reactions: Maddog
MD, for some reason the folder will not show up on my Windows machine, but will in the tablet using the file manager. Not sure why that is, I have my file type viewing to see all including system and invisible.

Did you file a support ticket via the app? They only show up after you submit a ticket as these are the files that the app gathers when the request is made in order to send them to 3dr.

This is easier to get your logs, but it also does send a support request to 3DR. I would use it sparingly unless someone actually has a problem (and not just wants to look at their logs for the heck of it), or we could overwhelm 3DR support with tickets they don't need to look at which would delay legitimate support tickets (ones with actual problems).
NOt sure it would delay anything. I put disregard in the body. But early on they were encouraging logs as it was establishing a DB of user experiences that were used for improvements. But agree that shouldn't be used unless you need the .bin files. The Tlogs are on the android and easy to retrieve.

Last edited:

No, I have never filed one with the Nexus- only the iPad mini.

Just did a little more digging on this. If you go to the directory above the 'support' folder before the email is sent, all of the logs are in a nice and neat .zip file. I just put my tablet in airplane mode, connected to Solo and created the ticket. The total of files in the .zip file are below..
i0f39t

I just tried that but no luck- still don't have a "support" folder. Tried just searching for the logs you posted but found none of them.:(

Last edited:
I just tried that but no luck- still don't have a "support" folder. Tried just searching for the logs you posted but found none of them.:(
Well the files are there somewhere:(. When you created your support email, did you get the green progress bar along the bottom? This represents the files being transffered from the Solo to your tablet. Do you have the file path shown up to the point of the support directory? It could be your file manager not showing system files.

Well the files are there somewhere:(. When you created your support email, did you get the green progress bar along the bottom? This represents the files being transffered from the Solo to your tablet. Do you have the file path shown up to the point of the support directory? It could be your file manager not showing system files.
Haha! I know! I did not watch the controller so I don't know about tha green bar.
I have the same file path but for "files" I only have "releases".

I have the file manager set to show hidden files so everything should show up.
image.jpeg
I'll keep messing with it.

Well, we can forget about the original method of this post to retrieve DF logs (yes, it still works), but 3DR has not made it easier. Sometime in one of the last updates 3DR moved the .bin logs to where they can easily be moved by just logging in to the Solo. Where previously you needed to DL one at a time through .py commands or use cli, you can now log in to Solo and proceed to the \log directory. Inside you will find not only the 'Dataflash directory with the .bin files, but also all of the other diagnostic files mentioned in the beginning of this thread. Below are screen shots of both the Log and Dataflash directories. I noticed I have .bin files dating back to the first part of February. What ever update was around then must be when they started moving the files for us. They said last year they would make it easier, and so they did.
XIBtyn

5RDTFu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl