Amazing Experience This Morning

Reaction score
Had a great time flying this AM but not with Solo. One is grounded and I'm nervous about flying number two with all of the failures that have been occurring. Un-boxed a new Blade 350 QX3 AP Combo that I purchased prior to buying my two Solo's. It was cool. From un-boxing to airborne took about 9 minutes. No problems at all everything worked as described. Flying it is very manual. It got GPS lock in about 30 seconds. Take off and landing is manual but it does have a return to home function that works as long as you have GPS signal. If you lose GPS it will not RTH. It shoots video and stills at will in 1080P 60fps. Gimbal works very well. All-in-all a great experience. My point is at least I can fly and shoot good quality pics while I'm waiting for 3DR to get it's act together. I'm so glad I have a low tech. but flyable backup airframe.

Sorry, if I sound snippy, but not flying your other Solo makes no sense. If you are that afraid (which is illogical) you could fly it in manual. If you have more fears than that 3DR won't be able to help, so you should just send it back.

Have you updated to the latest firmware? Have you done a factory reset? Compass calibration? Etc... many of us have had zero issues despite flying solo weekly at least.
It may just need a good reset and update.

Why do you have 2 solo's?
Filming. Sometimes you need to film two angles at once for speed and continuity. That along with redundancy. Not being able to film NOW (for whatever reason) when you are asked to is a real no-no. I have redundant EVERYTHING including several GoPro's.

I originally bought one to test. My neighbor bought one also (at Best Buy on a lark) since I had mentioned I was waiting for one. I had to send Solo 1 in for repair, and used his to train while I waited. I taught him the ropes on quads in the bargain. He soon got bored flying around and simultaneously I decided it would be a good video platform going forward. He offered it to me, if I promised to film him skiing on his boat (he is really a boat guy) and I took him up on it.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Had a great time flying this AM but not with Solo. One is grounded and I'm nervous about flying number two with all of the failures that have been occurring. Un-boxed a new Blade 350 QX3 AP Combo that I purchased prior to buying my two Solo's. It was cool. From un-boxing to airborne took about 9 minutes. No problems at all everything worked as described. Flying it is very manual. It got GPS lock in about 30 seconds. Take off and landing is manual but it does have a return to home function that works as long as you have GPS signal. If you lose GPS it will not RTH. It shoots video and stills at will in 1080P 60fps. Gimbal works very well. All-in-all a great experience. My point is at least I can fly and shoot good quality pics while I'm waiting for 3DR to get it's act together. I'm so glad I have a low tech. but flyable backup airframe.
Solo can fly very much manual as well and it is a blast! Been flying it since June 25 and no issues to speak of. Great machine!

Again, mine and everyone I know's Solo's are perfectly fine *shrug* -- it seems to be people just want to troll 3DR owners in any way they can. (think about it, why even post that in a Solo section of a 3DR forum?)

My Solo has been flawless save for the fact that I don't the DAMN gamble yet! That being said, I also have a blade 350 QX. And that ends up being my go-to quad for just screwing around. Its GPS although simple is rock solid and its range is fantastic with a dx6i. Its light, Fast, & a blast to rip around with! I use a CGO1 for fpv and simple shots. The picture quality isn't anywhere near the gopro but is still decent and I can start / stop video and take still pictures from the ground.

I bought two Solo's for redundancy and because I didn't expect any problems what-so-ever. I was excited. After 6 weeks Solo one broke. It is in perpetual Magnetic Interference lock. Both 3DR and myself have tried everything to get it to fly including a reset but to no avail. I have experienced a 50% failure rate with my two birds. That's unacceptable. I've made the decision not to fly Solo Two at least until I get a gimbal so I can see how that works. Otherwise if I fly it and it breaks as well I'll have two gimbals but no way to use them. I'll fly my Blade for a while because it always fly's and takes awesome pictures. Solo, may or may not fly when necessary. 3DR will eventually get it's act together or go out of business. I hope it's the former since I have about $10,000.00 invested in my two Solo's, cameras, back packs, hard cases, batteries, and all the other stuff needed to support two birds and get the shot you need each and every time.

My Solo has been flawless save for the fact that I don't the DAMN gamble yet! That being said, I also have a blade 350 QX. And that ends up being my go-to quad for just screwing around. Its GPS although simple is rock solid and its range is fantastic with a dx6i. Its light, Fast, & a blast to rip around with! I use a CGO1 for fpv and simple shots. The picture quality isn't anywhere near the gopro but is still decent and I can start / stop video and take still pictures from the ground.
My Blade is the first sophisticated quad I bought. I learned to fly with it. I've crashed it a bunch of times, repaired it and it's still in the air. I like it a lot. When I bought my Solo's I didn't think I would be flying the Blade much anymore. I was mistaken. Glad I have it for back up.

"Takeoff and landing is manual but it does have a return to home function that works as long as you have GPS signal. If you lose GPS it will not RTH"

That is not unique to that quad, none can RTH without GPS, Solo included.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M