Accessesory Bay

Reaction score
HI
Could someone please inform me of what the ribbon that is connected to the main board is used for?
Reason is that I was doing the wifi mod and disassembled the solo fully and when I puled the board out I noticed that the ribbon was not attached. I guess I was not careful enough. Is this ribbon important? If so How shall I proceed to get it fixed?

Thank you in advanced

It's used for addon accessories. Not many are available right now, but more are coming very soon and should be announced at NAB. Hopefully one will be an optical flow sensor they've been hinting at for a long time now.

Built To Evolve | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

The parachute is available, along with some LED lights and a new tethering capability so you don't need batteries to stay in the air.

Hi Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. Yes I would like that optical flow!!! Anyhow I guess this is something that needs to be fixed. I think it is a very fragile connection

Another question. So is it safe for now not to have that connection?

It should be totally fine without it (solo does everything it should do stock with gimbal), unless one of those loose connections is coming into contact with something inside...

You can fix it yourself if you're comfortable with a soldering iron. I had to repair mine. I bought the LED lights and they didn't work and figured the ribbon cable was damaged since I've been in and out of the quad so many times. It's a fragile area that I wish used connectors. I cleaned up all the solder holes as best as possible and resoldered it but on the top side instead of the bottom. I think it's more secure that way wrapping down around the side.

I used these cheap wire strippers from harbor freight on each side of the cable and just had a little in the middle to strip afterwards. Heavy Duty Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper

Reactions: Ronyc and PdxSteve
You can fix it yourself if you're comfortable with a soldering iron. I had to repair mine. I bought the LED lights and they didn't work and figured the ribbon cable was damaged since I've been in and out of the quad so many times. It's a fragile area that I wish used connectors. I cleaned up all the solder holes as best as possible and resoldered it but on the top side instead of the bottom. I think it's more secure that way wrapping down around the side.

I used these cheap wire strippers from harbor freight on each side of the cable and just had a little in the middle to strip afterwards. Heavy Duty Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper
Great. Thank you for the advice. I totally agree with you connectors would be a better way. Thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150