3DRobotics partners with DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the transition is now complete. Solo owners have the community and the aftermarket. Which is probably the best way to be right now.

It doesn't. This is just going to result in DJI consuming 3DR in the near future. From a business perspective, you don't ink a deal with a competitor fifteen times your size and not expect to become wholly-owned very shortly after.

They might've been able to leverage their American owned status and their Site Scan model to get Federal contracts, or other large infrastructure contracts. But no more with a Chinese state controlled company sitting at the helm. (Yes, I know they aren't *technically* in control, but when you're the 800 lb money gorilla in the room, let's just say things tend to swing towards your desires)

I'd have thought a partnership with GoPro would've made more business sense.

This is a company drowning and looking to be bought, in my opinion.

Reactions: Maxheadspace
Now I'm going to have to prove I'm not sending data to China on infrastructure projects, when before I could just say "Nope, it's a 3DR . American owned and controlled "

Didn't Chris Anderson just make a statement something to the effect that 3DR is releasing their code? Not if they're selling it to DJI.

Didn't Chris Anderson just make a statement something to the effect that 3DR is releasing their code? Not if they're selling it to DJI.
It appears they did release quite a bit of code over the weekend to GitHub. But from what I've read no gimbal code that everyone is wanting.... Supposed to be an announcement from 3DR about the release.

eat your heart out, folks!

Hope this means they completely abandon Solo and gives us the Sony zoom for next to nothing and releases the gimbal code.

Anderson's a tool anyways, we don't need to rely on his already-drowned company.

This is a company drowning and looking to be bought, in my opinion.

welcome to 18 months ago

Last edited:
No I speculated its DJI being able to use SiteScan. Its awesome they partnered with them. Can't believe they didn't go with DroneDeploy instead. Is SiteScan superior?

I still want to get SiteScan and two Sony cameras and gimbals for my two Solos but if you aren't already in this business its hard to break in (without losing the full time salary of your current career).
So if anyone is hiring drone mapping operators, spotters, planners, or analyzers in the midwest.. hit me up !! :)

Now I'm going to have to prove I'm not sending data to China on infrastructure projects, when before I could just say "Nope, it's a 3DR . American owned and controlled "

Solo is still based on open source code (except for the gimbal), so no worries about your data going to China (unless you buy a DJI running 3DR Site Scan software, then who knows)!

I predict by this time next year, 3DR will be bought out by DJI. Making the recent open sourcing of the Solo very very very well timed.

Reactions: Solo_Maverick
Solo is still based on open source code (except for the gimbal), so no worries about your data going to China (unless you buy a DJI running 3DR Site Scan software, then who knows)!
I know what that means, and you know what that means, but do you suppose that "Debbie" the local peon who works for the gubmint and watches MSN knows what that means? She just saw a story that DJI and 3DR are together, and DJI is one them Chi-nese companies.

No I speculated its DJI being able to use SiteScan. Its awesome they partnered with them. Can't believe they didn't go with DroneDeploy instead. Is SiteScan superior?

DroneDeploy relies a lot on third-party applications; maybe that was a factor. But DroneDeploy is already pretty much a DJI service. Their workflow is for the most part tailored for DJI drones. SiteScan is completely independent of anything DJI. It could be DJI eliminating a competitor, but SiteScan does seem to be a more serious commercial application. One significant shortcoming in the 3DR approach has been their lack of GPS tagging. I don't know if their Sony camera version has geotagging, but that's been very frustrating with mapping and modeling. Manually tagging with Mission Planner is tedious and commercially restrictive.

The SiteScan SOLO gimbal/camera does indeed have geotagging. You have to wait for it to happen once your mission is complete and you're on the ground, but it is automatic and doesn't take super-long.

This was recently discussed here. Be sure and check the search as you are crafting yours. ;)
Thread closed. Please comment further here - https://3drpilots.com/threads/3dr-and-dji-partner.11108/

duplicate_content.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc