3dr and DJI partner

whole Solo code gets copy&pasted now.... but not to the public....

hey guys i am new to 3DR, i fly a solo as well, what gimbal code are you guys talking about?

So, I'm guessing the gimbal code isn't going to be released any time soon?o_O
whole Solo code gets copy&pasted now.... but not to the public....

Actually the opposite. :) The majority of the Solo is being open sourced as we speak. In fact most of it is done. There are some legal details to work out on the gimbal which is why that's taking a few more days. Expect a press release from 3DR and probably also from ArduPilot on the matter very soon.

Actually the opposite. :) The majority of the Solo is being open sourced as we speak. In fact most of it is done. There are some legal details to work out on the gimbal which is why that's taking a few more days. Expect a press release from 3DR and probably also from ArduPilot on the matter very soon.
I've been busy, so unable to keep up on everything. If you are being serious, I'm very excited to see what the future holds. If you are not, you are dead to me. LOL

I am serious. I know it's been talked about and speculated for over a year now. The ArduPilot community has been wanting it and pressing for it. And it's actually happening now. I have seen the code and repositories with my own eyes so this isn't just another bit of speculation.

Formal announcements on the matter are forthcoming from 3DR and ArduPilot.

I am serious. I know it's been talked about and speculated for over a year now. The ArduPilot community has been wanting it and pressing for it. And it's actually happening now. I have seen the code and repositories with my own eyes so this isn't just another bit of speculation.

Formal announcements on the matter are forthcoming from 3DR and ArduPilot.

Hooray, your digital self can continue to exist in the labyrinth of my mind.

“History never repeats itself, but it does rhyme.”

If you have spare time, I recommend reading a similar old story with 12 chapters about:
90's computer dream machine: Commodore Amiga
History of the Amiga | Series | Ars Technica

When it first arrived, the Amiga was a dream machine...
"But the story is about something else as well. More than a tale about a computer maker, this is the story about the age-old battle between mediocrity and excellence, the struggle between merely existing and trying to go beyond expectations."

The Amiga was a machine ahead of its time, but Commodore was in trouble.
"Why did this happen? Was it inevitable, or could the company have made different choices and kept both itself and the Amiga platform alive and healthy?"

How today's computer world would be if Amiga had survived? We will never know...
Sometimes wrong and bad manager decisions can kill good and brilliant engineer dreams!

So, @Pedals2Paddles, and others, does this partnership mean DJI will get the software, etc., that makes Solo so much better?

If so will it end up making Phantoms as good as or better than Solo?

Chris mentioned in the article that DJI had better hardware.

No. Unrelated. But the Solo has been open sourced this week anyway. So DJI is free to steal it if they want.

“History never repeats itself, but it does rhyme.”

If you have spare time, I recommend reading a similar old story with 12 chapters about:
90's computer dream machine: Commodore Amiga
History of the Amiga | Series | Ars Technica

When it first arrived, the Amiga was a dream machine...
"But the story is about something else as well. More than a tale about a computer maker, this is the story about the age-old battle between mediocrity and excellence, the struggle between merely existing and trying to go beyond expectations."

The Amiga was a machine ahead of its time, but Commodore was in trouble.
"Why did this happen? Was it inevitable, or could the company have made different choices and kept both itself and the Amiga platform alive and healthy?"

How today's computer world would be if Amiga had survived? We will never know...
Sometimes wrong and bad manager decisions can kill good and brilliant engineer dreams!

imagine Apple had died and Commodore would produce phones now.....

US Army grounded all DJI ' S due to some kind of Chinese spyware. So are they going to do that to our solo's.

Ya know I'm Happy about the code being available but sincerely SAD that they lost the battle against the giant and I think about their good friend and adviser and really truly
wonder if he had their (3DR) best interest in his heart. when Big money is slipped under a door with a note asking someone to do something stupid do you take the money and do it?
I know we will never really know and I guess I just wanted 3DR to succeed and again not that they haven't because a lot of people have invested in oh so many ways.
Wonder what DJI is gonna do next !!

when Big money is slipped under a door with a note asking someone to do something stupid do you take the money and do it?
Yes, unfortunately 99% of the cases...

Wonder what DJI is gonna do next !!
I guess: they will keep building Drones against the french Parrot/Sensefly and GoPro/Karma...

But what is 3DR is gonna do next?
I guess: 3DR has definitely change to a software company, with a main product, an enterprise solution: Site Scan and the new enterprise Atlas
No more hardware! (X8, Aero, IRIS, Pixhawk, SOLO are only good memories)

But with an important change, they moved from Free and Open Source to Closed and Proprietary Source:
Site Scan end user license agreement
1.1 Application License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, 3DR hereby grants Customer a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicenseable, revocable license for a single user (an “Authorized User”) to download and use one copy of the Application on a single mobile device or computer that Customer owns or controls and to run such copy of the Application solely for Customer’s own internal business purposes. 3DR shall provide the Authorized User with a unique password to enable Customer to activate the Site Scan mobile application for use on a single drone.

Why?
I guess: because 3DR is now an Autodesk Portfolio company
Customer Stories: 3D Robotics
“Our customers are already Autodesk users looking for a drone reality capture solution. By partnering with Autodesk, we are building a tool that plugs into existing leading workflows and keeping our customers from having to reinvent their processes to use new technology.” Jia Huang, Engineer - Cloud Platform API - 3D Robotics

What are they going against?
I guess: Against an establish enterprise and growing industry...
Trimble , Leica , Topcon, Pix4D , DroneDeploy , SenseFly, etc

Are there other and FREE alternatives?
YES! You can find a complete list at Wikipedia Comparison_of_photogrammetry_software
There you can see several free alternatives, for example:

Open Drone Map
:
OpenDroneMap About
GitHub - OpenDroneMap/OpenDroneMap: OpenDroneMap is a tool to postprocess drone, balloon, kite, and street view data to geographic data including orthophotos, point clouds, & textured mesh. In the tradition of the Ship of Theseus, it was originally forked from qwesda/BundlerTools https://github.com/qwesda/BundlerTools.
GitHub - OpenDroneMap/odm_data: Example data for OpenDroneMap: https://github.com/OpenDroneMap/OpenDroneMap sourced from a variety of sources

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Ya know I'm Happy about the code being available but sincerely SAD that they lost the battle against the giant and I think about their good friend and adviser and really truly
wonder if he had their (3DR) best interest in his heart. when Big money is slipped under a door with a note asking someone to do something stupid do you take the money and do it?

lol best interest??

you must be new here

go read up one of the many stories on how DJI North America couldn't buy up 3DR so they made it a personal decision to decimate them in approx 1-2 year. It was a very personal revenge from DJI CEO because of the rift Colin Guinn started....a disgruntled former DJI management.

3DR never had a chance to really compete against the behmoth. They could've stayed afloat doing their own niche instead of challenging DJI but hubris got the best of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea