3DR Solo will not power up.

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am hoping to find a bit of help here.
I have been flying my solo with no problems for quite some time now. Yesterday i pulled a fresh battery from the charger to put on the solo and go have a great flight. I installed the battery onto the solo like always, pressed the power button once, pressed it again holding it this time expecting the solo to come to life, and nothing. The battery lights indicate that the battery is fully charged, stay lit for a few seconds and go out. No signs of life from the solo at all. I have tried this with several different batteries with the same results. Even tried this with a known partially discharged battery with the same results. The battery acts as if it is not even installed in the solo. This just suddenly started. One afternoon i flew a few flights without any issues at all, stored the solo away for a few days and now this. Any advice as to what is going on? Does 3D Robotics offer any support with the Solo any more?
Thank you for any and all help.
Don
Baytown, Texas
[email protected]

If a battery receives no feedback it will shut off after about 10 seconds. Alternatively, if the battery sees a direct short it will shut down immediately.

Based on your description, sounds like your bird is disconnected...power wise. Make sure your battery is fully inserted. If yes, then you'll need to go in and inspect, maybe the main power leads from the battery connector. Several threads here on disassembling Solo...removing the battery tray will reveal a lot.

I believe 3DR still offers email support, but not sure as I haven't used it.

Thank you Rich,

Also, i read in a thread somewhere that if a motor pod is bad the bird will not attempt to power up. I am disconnecting the pods one at a time in an attempt to isolate a potential bad one. I will delve further if that produces no definitive results. Thanks for your reply!

Also, i read in a thread somewhere that if a motor pod is bad the bird will not attempt to power up. I am disconnecting the pods one at a time in an attempt to isolate a potential bad one.
The pods are directly connected to the battery power, so yes that makes sense. Good luck!

The pods are directly connected to the battery power, so yes that makes sense. Good luck!
Well, I'm at a loss. Disconnecting the pods one at a time produced no results. I removed the battery tray to inspect the battery leads and everything seems to be in tact. Back to searching more forums....argggg. Something that i did'nt notice before, I can hear a relay pulling in when i power up the battery. The relay is on the underside of the main board. I am beginning to think that the main board, for whatever reason, has failed.

What mods if any do you have to your solo? Green cube? Open solo? Have you updated any software?

No mods, It does have the powered gimbal. Software is updated. I am going to dig in beyond the battery tray tomorrow. Removing the main board to inspect further. Thank you! I am hoping to find something obvious as this is frustrating as ever!!!

If you have a Solo Battery Tool then test it immediately after it 'dies'. A bad battery cell can give some weird behavior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc