3DR Solo Controller

You NEED the WiFi tablet. There is no telemetry on the HDMI feed out and you have no way of controlling the Solo functions without out. With the HDMI you have no software and just a FPV view of where you are going.
You also should have GPS on your tablet, otherwise you won't have any satellite maps. Data (LTE) is optional, as you can either capture the maps prior to going in the field, or use a WiFi hotspot in the field to capture the maps, then disconnect from your hotspot and reconnect to the Solo controller.

If you have LTE on your tablet, then you can get the maps real-time, as long as your have a data connection.

How do you extract the telemetry data
The best way is to use Mission Planner which is Windows only. You can also pull the logs out by emailing them to yourself from within the Solo app (but then you need software like Mission Planner to make sense of those logs). On the Mac side you can use something called APM, but it is not as full featured as Mission Planner.

The ONLY way to see your telemetry live, while you fly, is to use the Solo App (iOS or Android). Or you can use the Tower App (Android only).

Personally, I use the Solo App on a iPad mini while simultaneously using Tower on an Android smartphone. That set up is overkill for a new user, but it has benefits (new user recommendation at the bottom of this thread). Here's how I use each app and device.

iPad Mini: Solo App.
I use this primarily for the live video feed. I ignore the telemetry data it shows and just focus on the live feed.

On an iPad you can record the live video stream directly to you iPads internal memory (the videos show up on your camera roll). The android version of the Solo app is not able to record the live stream, thus my preference for the iPad.

I also use this for access to the Smart Shots (cable cam, orbit).

I never us this to view the Solos location on a map.

Android phone: Tower App.
I use this primarily to monitor telemetry data and things like battery voltage, number of satalites the GPS is receiving, etc. it's nice because the Tower app can be configured to give you regular verbal updates on your telemetry, as well as wha is shown on the screen.

I also us this to constantly display where my Solo is on a map.

Lastly, the Tower app allows you to plan out complex missions with way points and ROI (regions of interest that you want the camera to stay focused on).

Th built in mount on the Solo can only hold one device. I Velcro my Android phone between the iPad (which is in the mount) and the controller.

Recommendation for a new user:
Only use the Solo app, running on an iPad Mini with cellular data.

Why not Android?
For one reason only - the current version of the Solo app on Android can not record video to your device. This is a very small advantage to the iPad. It's likely this feature will be added to the Android app soon (maybe even before I finish writing this marathon post). Also, the quality of the video from the live feed kinda sucks anyway. It's only good for sharing something quickly with friends. You will get much much higher quality once you land and import the video directly off your GoPro.

Why cellular data?
iPads that are wifi only do NOT have GPS. This means you can't do things like "follow me" because the Solo actually follows your device around, not you. If your iPad doesn't have GPS, it can't tell your Solo where it is, and so your Solo can't follow "you".

Furthermore, without GPS/Cellular data it's kind of a pain to get a map view in the Solo app showing where your Solo is during flight. It's possible, but you have to cache your maps ahead of time, and be careful not to zoom in and out on the map while you fly or the map might go blank mid flight.

Last edited:
The best way is to use Mission Planner which is Windows only. You can also pull the logs out by emailing them to yourself from within the Solo app (but then you need software like Mission Planner to make sense of those logs). On the Mac side you can use something called APM, but it is not as full featured as Mission Planner.

The ONLY way to see your telemetry live, while you fly, is to use the Solo App (iOS or Android). Or you can use the Tower App (Android only).

Personally, I use the Solo App on a iPad mini while simultaneously using Tower on an Android smartphone. That set up is overkill for a new user, but it has benefits (new user recommendation at the bottom of this thread). Here's how I use each app and device.

I use this primarily for the live video feed. I ignore the telemetry data it shows and just focus on the live feed.

On an iPad you can record the live video stream directly to you iPads internal memory (the videos show up on your camera roll). The android version of the Solo app is not able to record the live stream, thus my preference for the iPad.

I use this primarily to monitor telemetry data and things like battery voltage, number of satalites the GPS is receiving, etc. it's nice because the Tower app can be configured to give you regular verbal updates on your telemetry, as well as wha is shown on the screen.

Lastly, the Tower app allows you to plan out complex missions with way points and ROI (regions of interest that you want the camera to stay focused on).

Th built in mount on the Solo can only hold one device. I Velcro my Android phone between the iPad (which is in the mount) and the controller.

Why not Android?
For one reason only - the current version of the Solo app on Android can not record video to your device. This is a very small advantage to the iPad. It's likely this feature will be added to the Android app soon (maybe even before I finish writing this marathon post). Also, the quality of the video from the live feed kinda sucks anyway. It's only good for sharing something quickly with friends. You will get much much higher quality once you land and import the video directly off your GoPro.

Why cellular data?
iPads that are wifi only do NOT have GPS. This means you can't do things like "follow me" because the Solo actually follows your device around, not you. If your iPad doesn't have GPS, it can't tell your Solo where it is, and so your Solo can't follow "you".

Furthermore, without GPS/Cellular data it's kind of a pain to get a map view in the Solo app showing where your Solo is during flight. It's possible, but you have to cache your maps ahead of time, and be careful not to zoom in and out on the map while you fly or the map might go blank mid flight.

Thank you very much. That is a through explanation for me to try.

I use Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 AT&T LTE on my P2, very nice tab, 8 core processor, damn fast
Go to this website's sister site if you want to talk about DJI products

Why not Android?

Why cellular data?

Nice post!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado