3DR Drone flies into stands at U.S. Open

As it should be as consumer drones are just too easy to crash without prior training. I hear Best Buy will soon be selling Phantoms too. There will be many more untrained boneheads inadvertently crashing their new toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Easy to crash" really? You do know this is setup to fly as easy as an RC toy not like my Cessna 172. They are becoming more autonomous as we speak. Most people buying them are first time flyers and end up starting aerial photography companies with no training. It's not rocket science, any responsible teenager can handle a DJI Phantom or 3DR Solo. You give younger kids guns that are way more dangerous for Christ sake. Quit sounding like some FAA rep.

Last edited:
"Easy to crash" really? Yea for a complete irresponsible jack a**. You do know this is setup to fly as easy as an RC toy not like my Cessna 172. They are becoming more autonomous as we speak. Most people buying them are first time flyers and end up starting aerial photography companies with no training. It's not rocket science, any responsible teenager can handle a DJI Phantom or 3DR Solo. You give younger kids guns that are way more dangerous for Christ sake. Quit sounding like some FAA rep.
"Responsible" being the key word, not everybody buying drones will be responsible, and it's plenty easy to fly your drone at 40mph right into a crowd.

"Responsible" being the key word, not everybody buying drones will be responsible, and it's plenty easy to fly your drone at 40mph right into a crowd.

About as easy as it is to use a Playstation video game controller, which is exactly the model the transmitter controls were modeled after. Some quadcopter users (not pilots, you have to earn the title of pilot), try to make themselves out to be some sort of experts at using a video game style controller to fly something that will do all the work for you as long as you can read and comprehend its instructions. YOU ARE NOT AN AIRCRAFT PILOT, CUT THE CRAP! Go earn at least a private pilot's license, or even a recreation pilot's license and then you can make yourself sound like you do something "technical". Operating a 3DR Solo drone or DJI Phantom is definitely not.

And I don't agree that it's easy to fly a Solo or Phantom drone into a crowd of people unless of course you mean to do so on purpose, or are simply not following directions properly. There's plenty of videos of even children properly demonstrating that.

It's actually much harder to fly a racer quad which moves much faster, than it is to fly a DJI Phantom or Solo Drone, your clearly unexperienced in this field if you say its not.

Last edited:
I agree that without following the directions, then it's easy to crash. I've seen many common crashes amongst 3 UAV forums (Phantom pilots, 3drpilots, & Yuneec-forum). Common causes are not allowing sufficient battery for returning against the wind, not setting RTH height sufficient to clear obstacles, and taking off from a boat or getting a bad compass calibration from being near other sources of metal. Some people are just not good at reading manuals and respond better to being trained by another person. I do read manuals but had to watch hours of UAV related YouTube videos to really learn what not to do.

I agree that without following the directions, then it's easy to crash. I've seen many common crashes amongst 3 UAV forums (Phantom pilots, 3drpilots, & Yuneec-forum). Common causes are not allowing sufficient battery for returning against the wind, not setting RTH height sufficient to clear obstacles, and taking off from a boat or getting a bad compass calibration from being near other sources of metal. Some people are just not good at reading manuals and respond better to being trained by another person. I do read manuals but had to watch hours of UAV related YouTube videos to really learn what not to do.

I recommend drone users develop a practice of license aircraft pilots and use a pre-flight check list before taking off. It should include all safety checks and test, including an assessment of your surroundings, weather conditions, etc... If someone properly follows such a list, it should only leave room for an unpredictable mechanical failure, if flying the craft within its intended purpose.

Flying the drone without seeing it increases the possibility of those errors. If you can't visibly see the drone your then putting people at risk.

Hello all. Im new here to 3drpilots and as a drone pilot...err "multirotor, etc"
Im watching all this and my personal take on the inevitable and best outcome will be a simple license. When I look at the responsibility of driving a multi ton vehicle in public places and that of flying small machines at different altitudes where commercial air traffic is its easy for me to see the best solution will be mandatory training and a license. We entrust complete morons with that responsibility in our society and so too should we expect it from UAV's.
Before you freak out if you think its absurd to ask this of ourselves and others try to imagine what that training would entail. If you ask me it wouldnt be nearly as in depth as obtaining a drivers license but something like a few hours with qualified trainers. A day would be enough. Fees could be as little as 30 dollars per license.

This is one of those technologies the government will have to find a regulation/balance with and im guessing we can look at history to see how its been handled in the past...

When the automobile came into our society there were many changes and it took a very long time to get to where we are now...Safety, traffic control, lanes, etc...
If you break traffic laws you end up in court and can lose that privilege.
Would you want people to not have the current requirements to drive where your loved ones are?

Also as someone who gets joy out of this hobby I try to see it from opposing perspectives.
I know the moment Im taking off in a plane a small part of me will be thinking about that truly stupid citizen whose lack of education but ability to get a UAV will put me and others in danger...

I als will expect commerical aircrat to be retrofitted with lasers that can disable consumer UAV's. Boeing has basically solved this and will soon be making them available for various reasons...Adding one of them onto most jets will be rather simple if they can bring the cost down.

I also will expect commercial aircraft to be retrofitted with lasers that can disable consumer UAV's. Boeing has basically solved this and will soon be making them available for various reasons...Adding one of them onto most jets will be rather simple if they can bring the cost down.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

LOL! I guess I got carried away and what would happen to a melting plastic drone falling out of the sky? I still wouldnt be surprised to hear airports install them around runways.

Maybe airliners will be built to take even bigger strikes...Who knows maybe one day it'll be routine for us to hear multiple bouncing drones smacking into our planes as they come in for landing...

Did they forget to add that into Idiocracy? (chews on pinky nail)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc