3DR Drone flies into stands at U.S. Open

Anyone else find it odd that there is no GoPro attached to the Solo...why would you fly over the US Open without a camera attached? Starting to wonder if people are doing stupid sh_t like this to screw the industry and scare the general public. Just look at the tennis players response:

"A little bit scary, I have to say," Pennetta said after the match, according to the AP. "With everything going on in the world ... I thought, 'OK, it's over.' That's how things happen."

Anyone else find it odd that there is no GoPro attached to the Solo...why would you fly over the US Open without a camera attached? Starting to wonder if people are doing stupid sh_t like this to screw the industry and scare the general public. Just look at the tennis players response:

"A little bit scary, I have to say," Pennetta said after the match, according to the AP. "With everything going on in the world ... I thought, 'OK, it's over.' That's how things happen."
They said it broke into pieces. Looking at the photo, it looks like the camera mount is what broke off and is probably laying close by.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Teacher arrested for allegedly flying drone at US Open
This article states the pilot is an instructor at The Academy of Innovative Technology, I don't think he was trying to "screw the industry."

They said it broke into pieces. Looking at the photo, it looks like the camera mount is what broke off and is probably laying close by.

I think it was also missing a leg and props were busted to crap. Looks like it held up pretty well. I think the top heavy thing is working for Solo. Seems to be as durable as the mower deck flap on my compact utility tractor !

If it had been my white one they would have said looks like someone spilled popcorn :eek:

Its that whole guns that are black are more dangerous/powerful mindset.

Im sure a solo is atleast 3 times more deadly than your pastey pale DJI which looks like it may be flown by small children versus solo that looks like Darth Vader and Saddam Hussein's love child probably flew it in there

Reactions: Soulobo
Either way, he screwed us, didn't he?
I'm not sure? I know each of these instances is being watched, but I feel the FAA and those watching and writing laws will employ the same common sense they do when the read about a car, bus, or airliner accident.

I'm not sure? I know each of these instances is being watched, but I feel the FAA and those watching and writing laws will employ the same common sense they do when the read about a car, bus, or airliner accident.
Laws will be thrown out quickly and without thought long before the FAA hands down their decisions.

My theory is he got his new toy and thought it would be cool to descend into the stadium to get some video of the tennis match. When he did that, he lost radio contact and it went into RTL.
Since he hadn't modified the default RTL to clear the height of the stadium, it flew across the stadium trying to return to it's launch Point and crashed into the unoccupied seat. Since anyone can walk into Best Buy and buy their first UAV, it would seem that some basic education before flying is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My theory is he got his new toy and thought it would be cool to descend into the stadium to get some video of the tennis match. When he did that, he lost radio contact and it went into RTL.
Since he hadn't modified the default RTL to clear the height of the stadium, it flew across the stadium trying to return to it's launch Point and crashed into the unoccupied seat. Since anyone can walk into Best Buy and buy their first UAV, it would seem that some basic education before flying is needed.

As a new solo owner can you elaborate on the RTL?

As a new solo owner can you elaborate on the RTL?
The height the solo returns to home when it loses connection with the RC unit. At first it was not easily adjustable and 3dr set it dangerously low at 49'.

So in this case the guy dropped down inside stadium and lost RC signal and it flew back at 49' or current elevation whichever was higher. In this case there was stuff in the way. Or this is how it appears to me.

Always consider return to home height.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Watch this: this pilot went around/behind the rock, lost transmitter signal, and his Solo RTL into the rock as he hadn't increased his RTL height prior to takeoff.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Come on guys, doesn't anyone else think that these weird events that make the news are for propaganda to rush in strict regulations for the consumer drone industry? First the Whitehouse lawn incident, now this. Both by the way demanded attention about the consumer drone industry and this isn't anything different. Who are these idiots that first come up with such ridiculous ideas to do these things, and second lose control over their drones in the most iconic ways in drone history? You couldn't write a better news story.

Before its all said and done they'll require us to register a drone much like a firearm, background check and all, and even require mandatory insurance coverage just like on a motor vehicle.

As it should be as consumer drones are just too easy to crash without prior training. I hear Best Buy will soon be selling Phantoms too. There will be many more untrained boneheads inadvertently crashing their new toy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela