3DR Customer Service – P̶l̶e̶a̶s̶a̶n̶t̶ Embarassing Surprise

Reaction score
[Please my post from August 8 for corrections to this post.]

3DR Technical Support decided to replace a malfunctioning product on Monday. Yesterday, Customer Service issued an RMA and sent me a Fedex Ground shipping label. I brought the return package to Fedex yesterday.

To my surprise, I received a notice that Customer Service had shipped my replacement today, before having received my return. In the email I received on Monday the support tech had written, "We want to get you back in the air ASAP."

I guess they mean it!

Last edited:
3DR Technical Support decided to replace a malfunctioning product on Monday. Yesterday, Customer Service issued an RMA and sent me a Fedex Ground shipping label. I brought the return package to Fedex yesterday.

To my surprise, I received a notice that Customer Service had shipped my replacement today, before having received my return. In the email I received on Monday the support tech had written, "We want to get you back in the air ASAP."

I guess they mean it!
Wow that is awesome. I hope they do that with my RMA, I just shipped mine out yersterday as well. I really need one back quickly because I am running a company and can't have a lot of downtime. I was pleased with their customer service after the initial delay of response to the initial support ticket.

Well, I woke up today anticipating the arrival of my replacement product from 3DR which I had thought was advance-shipped. Imagine my shock when I saw that the package had been delivered and signed for, but not by me.

You'll notice that I've retitled this thread "Embarassing Surprise"... and not without good reason.

The tracking notices I've been following are for the shipping label provided to me to get the malfunctioning unit delivered to 3DR. :oops:

So, as much as I wanted to shout to the rafters what I thought to be a extraordinary replacement policy, I need to inform everyone that it appears to not be the case.

I imagine that my return will be opened and inspected before a replacement is shipped to me, which is what would normally be expect. So, this is not to in any way say that 3DR does not have a superior replacement policy—just that it's not to the extraodinary level that I had reported in my OP.

Apologies to anyone who read the OP and made decisions based on that, and to 3DR for confusing the waters.

Just to come full circle, I will report here on the anticipated receipt of my unit.

Well, you are lucky 3DR sent you a Fedex shipping label for yours. Did you buy it from them or elsewhere ?

I have a faulty Solo Controller that was bought from BH Photo Video. I have to get an RMA from 3DR, to get an RMA from BH, to send it to BH, for them to send it to 3DR, for 3DR to replace. I can't see anything that could possibly go wrong with this process ...... NOT !!

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Well, you are lucky 3DR sent you a Fedex shipping label for yours. Did you buy it from them or elsewhere ?

I have a faulty Solo Controller that was bought from BH Photo Video. I have to get an RMA from 3DR, to get an RMA from BH, to send it to BH, for them to send it to 3DR, for 3DR to replace. I can't see anything that could possibly go wrong with this process ...... NOT !!

Fingers crossed.

I also purchased through B&H. Are you still within the 30-day return policy window from your purchase at B&H? If so, I believe that would be the process. Although I would normally be expecting: B&H to replace the item themselves against a 3DR authorization.

Perhaps 3DR wants to examine the bad controller for their own research and is making you jump through these hoops.

companies often like to complicate the process so ppl give up easier = less returns/warranties = less service they need to provide = less cost

When I had to return a Solo to one of their Canadian authorized retailers I had to get RMA from 3DR for the retailer to take it back.

To follow on the return process from the OP, yesterday I received this email message:

"We have received your package! Thank you for sending your Return Authorization #XXXXXXXXXXXXXX back to us. If you are expecting a replacement, your new order will ship in next 1-3 business days. If your unit is getting repaired, please allow 7-10 business days for us to complete the process. For a refund, allow 1-3 business days for us to process it."

That message was sent the same day my return was received by them.

Reactions: Solo Keith
To follow on the return process from the OP, yesterday I received this email message:

"We have received your package! Thank you for sending your Return Authorization #XXXXXXXXXXXXXX back to us. If you are expecting a replacement, your new order will ship in next 1-3 business days. If your unit is getting repaired, please allow 7-10 business days for us to complete the process. For a refund, allow 1-3 business days for us to process it."

That message was sent the same day my return was received by them.
Now that's what call a speedy expedition :)

...I had rcvd that mail too... but after 10 days nothing was shipped, I contacted 3DR and they told me they run out of Gimbals and they could not give me a shipping date....
Very sad.....

Reactions: bluesgeek
Add another to this list. I was told I'd be getting a replacement, and once mine was returned I got the same email. After several days with no ship notice, I asked and was given the same answer about gimbal supply.

It's great that they have this replacement policy, but I wish they were better about managing expectations.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Has anyone waiting for their Solo to be replaced any news from 3DR?
I have been waiting for mine for a month now...
Same here Nick, about a month and every time I chat with them is the same old bullshit, we are out of stock and don't know when or if we will get more deal with it. It is really getting on my nerves.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig