2.4.1-6 Update, RTH and Rewind

Reaction score
HI,

I am pretty sure prior to this update that the Pause button halted the Solo, and the Home button when pressed put solo into rewind and then when pressed again RTH was initiated. This may have been under a menu setting.

Now when I press "Pause", Solo rewinds and Home returns to me in a direct line. There may be a menu to change, but a little surprised that options get updated when an upgrade is performed without any warning. It could of resulted in Solo not responding in a way I was expecting.

I have used one battery since the update and not had the opportunity to force a loss of signal, would Solo rewind or RTH, I am hoping rewind.

I have never had any significant problems when hovering, but tested with the new upgrade and solo was rock steady.

ShaunD

Said in the description of bugs & fixes that the pause button will rewind as long as you hold the button. Not sure if you can default

Where did you see that list?

The pause long press initiating rewind screws up my desire to use that function or Ch7 servo control....

Oh, I didn't see that listed, but I probably also just clicked through it. Didn't see mention of it on the announcement from Phu.

There are defaults for how to respond to loss of signal, home button, etc. But without the android 2.4 app, you can't see or adjust those settings. So I don't actually know what they are.

Do we think loss of signal would implement a rewind or RTH.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
During BETA testing it would rewind first then RTH if signal was lost, idea is if you fly behind something and lose signal it would back up rather than just rth and possibly hit what you went behind. I will test it out today with android and ios and see what happens.

It is in the description of fixes @ time of install/update (iOS)

Is there an official online changelog for firmware versions of which you (or anyone else here) are aware? I can't find anything at all from official 3DR website that even lists the firmware versions, let alone the changes.

Ideally I want to know everything that has changed in every firmware update, including changes to Arducopter parameters and IMX6 files, though I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: 1tom2go
Is there an official online changelog for firmware versions of which you (or anyone else here) are aware? I can't find anything at all from official 3DR website that even lists the firmware versions, let alone the changes.

Ideally I want to know everything that has changed in every firmware update, including changes to Arducopter parameters and IMX6 files, though I'm not holding my breath.
Try here:
GitHub - 3drobotics/ardupilot-solo

Releases · 3drobotics/ardupilot-solo · GitHub

Reactions: Rory and 1tom2go
During BETA testing it would rewind first then RTH if signal was lost, idea is if you fly behind something and lose signal it would back up rather than just rth and possibly hit what you went behind. I will test it out today with android and ios and see what happens.

What concerns me about all this is the lack of a clear understanding of what will happen in a given situation. I thought I read that rewind would work up to a certain distance or time - meaning it would rewind the last 20 seconds of the flight.

Depending on your flight, you most likely wouldn't want it to rewind the entire thing. So there would potentially be one point at which it would rewind to RTL, and another at which it would do the traditional climb to a fixed altitude and RTL on a straight line. Add to that the inverted wedding cake that they added to the RTL procedure in a previous update where by it would avoid a full climb to the set altitude depending on the distance from home, and maintaining a clear expectation of what Solo will do becomes difficult to impossible.

Personally, I would much rather have a single procedure that works the same way every time. The battery life wasted on a full climb to the set RTL altitude on the rare cases where I might loose signal 20 feet away is less of a risk than Solo doing something I can't quite predict in any given situation.

I get they're trying to improve the system, but sometimes predictability is more important than convenience.

Thankyou Steve this looks like what I want

Though I am confused about one thing: in the "Releases" hub the "latest release" is listed as 1.3.8 but the latest firmware as read from the Solo App is 2.4.1-6 - are these the same thing?

Also is there a way to filter out all of the pre-releases? I was hoping there would be something that only describes what the average user will typically download from the Solo App, something that might read like:

2.4.1-6:
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit
  • Aliquam viverra interdum
  • Suspendisse aliquet luctu
  • Nullam venenatis
  • Rhoncus neque
etc..

What concerns me about all this is the lack of a clear understanding of what will happen in a given situation. I thought I read that rewind would work up to a certain distance or time - meaning it would rewind the last 20 seconds of the flight.

Depending on your flight, you most likely wouldn't want it to rewind the entire thing. So there would potentially be one point at which it would rewind to RTL, and another at which it would do the traditional climb to a fixed altitude and RTL on a straight line...
In one of the Android betas (I think that's where I saw and set it), you can have Solo rewind an amount preset by the pilot in the app, then RTH... or RTL.

Reactions: Solo Keith
In one of the Android betas (I think that's where I saw and set it), you can have Solo rewind an amount preset by the pilot in the app, then RTH... or RTL.

Thanks, hopefully that feature makes it into the final official release. Nothing more scary than watching your bird take off in an unexpected direction and have to figure out what it's doing.

Well i also find interesting that there is no difference found in performance between REV B GPS & the original GPS. "Android & IOS"
I suspected as much. This is the second person whom has tested Both GPS's on multiple Solo's.
Save your Buck's on REV B GPS, but i would buy the new shield, It made a difference for me.

Well i also find interesting that there is no difference found in performance between REV B GPS & the original GPS. "Android & IOS"
I suspected as much. This is the second person whom has tested Both GPS's on multiple Solo's.
Save your Buck's on REV B GPS, but i would buy the new shield, It made a difference for me.
I was not aware the Rev B GPS was for sale?

Some solo's came with them. It was a very short run. I think Vu sold them to a few people directly. Not a product you could purchase.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks