X8 RTK? Is it possible?

Reaction score
I need to learn about mapping with RTK. I am wondering if it is possible to add RTK capability to my X8? I see posts about adding it to the Solo but I am still not sure just how that works either. I do have an upgraded Solo and another stock one if they might be a better option. I just can’t justify the cost of a drone with RTK built in already.

Next, is there anyone anywhere remotely close to Watkins Glen, NY that might be willing to help? Trying to find info on these old models is hard.

Thanks in advance, Mike

I need to learn about mapping with RTK. I am wondering if it is possible to add RTK capability to my X8? I see posts about adding it to the Solo but I am still not sure just how that works either. I do have an upgraded Solo and another stock one if they might be a better option. I just can’t justify the cost of a drone with RTK built in already.

Next, is there anyone anywhere remotely close to Watkins Glen, NY that might be willing to help? Trying to find info on these old models is hard.
a
Thanks in advance, Mike
Hi Mike,
It is most definitely possible. You will need an RTK capable GPS for the X8, one with a magnetometer (compass) built in. For the base station, there are two options: a 2nd RTK capable GPS unit or access to RTCM3 corrections (NTRIP). After some setup with Mission Planner to pass the corrections it should work. All this requires replacing the old GPS in the X8, and going thru a compete initial calibration process. A bit daunting, but doable.
John

Reactions: Slozukimc
Hi Mike,
It is most definitely possible. You will need an RTK capable GPS for the X8, one with a magnetometer (compass) built in. For the base station, there are two options: a 2nd RTK capable GPS unit or access to RTCM3 corrections (NTRIP). After some setup with Mission Planner to pass the corrections it should work. All this requires replacing the old GPS in the X8, and going thru a compete initial calibration process. A bit daunting, but doable.
John
Thanks John. I think I have decided to purchase a dji Matrice 210 RTK so I don’t have to figure out how to get things to work to learn to do work.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig