WOW WOW WOW

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! This is excellent news and will ensure developers can keep extending the capabilities for quite some time. Need to check out the repo at some point so I can get a copy. Here's hoping for the gimbal stuff too as was already mentioned.

OMG, they did it !
With the price of the Solo and the now open platform, this could be the DJI killer
We should spread the news in all the diy forums, big things will come out of this

Last edited:
Dang... I wish I am as literate and as smart as you guys when it comes to software & IT........... electrical and GPS & camera me understand.
... this is good news BTW...YIPEE !!!!

found some interesting things in drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/htc_drv_init.c

#define CHAN2G(_freq, _idx) { \
.center_freq = (_freq), \
.hw_value = (_idx), \
.max_power = 20, \
}
#define CHAN5G(_freq, _idx) { \
.band = IEEE80211_BAND_5GHZ, \
.hw_value = (_idx), \
.max_power = 20, \
}

This is definitely huge, and moving in the right direction. More to do though. They still need to open up the STM32, which is the sticks and screen on the controller. And they still need to open up the gimbal. Once those remaining things are opened up, things get REALLY epic.

we can only hope, people need to keep asking 3dr politely through every channel that we can

i think the gimbal communication could be captured, as this is a simple serial port. sniffing at the port when solo is rotated in all 3 axis + tilt, the Mavlink commands can be interpreted.

my guess is 115 KBaud

Last edited:
found some interesting things in drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/htc_drv_init.c

#define CHAN2G(_freq, _idx) { \
.hw_value = (_idx), \
.max_power = 20, \
}
#define CHAN5G(_freq, _idx) { \
.band = IEEE80211_BAND_5GHZ, \
.hw_value = (_idx), \
.max_power = 20, \
}
Um 5GHz... Interesting... wonder if this means it would except 5GHz wifi cards?

I seem to remember reading elsewhere that it COULD accept 5ghz WiFi. But it would not be beneficial. While 5ghz is indeed less congested than 2.4ghz, it's range and penetration is remarkably worse than 2.4ghz. That loss would be way worse than the loss due to 2.4ghz congestion.

Reactions: Tamj and J R
I seem to remember reading elsewhere that it COULD accept 5ghz WiFi. But it would not be beneficial. While 5ghz is indeed less congested than 2.4ghz, it's range and penetration is remarkably worse than 2.4ghz. That loss would be way worse than the loss due to 2.4ghz congestion.

The code seems to confirm it. Still interesting though

So what is you all driving so crazy about it??
The biggest piece of enhancements and innovation for Solo, the rebase to master of the FC code, hasn't even started yet.
So as good as it is that 3DR open up the code, I can not share the excitement about the linux kernel. But maybe I am missing something.

Last edited:

Correct, but in highly congested wifi 2,4GHz area you can use 5,8GHz keeping in mind it's disadvantages ofcourse. Better link, better video feed, less possibility to lose signal etc....
I would like to see some wifi monitor on app and if 2,4GHz frequency is heavily used I could switch to 5,8..

The biggest piece of enhancements and innovation for Solo, the rebase to master of the FC code, hasn't even started yet.
So as good as it is that 3DR open up the code, I can not share the excitement about the linux kernel. But maybe I am missing something.
What innovations specifically are you referring to on the recent FC software for AC3.4?

What people are excited about are being able to customize the OBC that allow Solo to do more advanced things that you can't with any other copter that's not running a separate computer onboard. Sure, you can slap a Raspberry Pi or BBB on something with a Pixhawk but then you have to go through the hassle of doing a lot of other integration, which there are images out there to help with this, and it's going to be more kludgey than what's already built right in to Solo. That's what is exciting for people. At some point, I'm sure we'll be able to update the Pixhawk as well but we can wait for that. We can modify other Pixhawk settings right now if needed anyway.

The code seems to confirm it. Still interesting though

Not necessarily. In the codebase, there's also code for a cd rom. I don't think my Solo can accept a CD out of the box. :)

If anyone can find the name of the stock wifi card we can check and see if it does indeed support 5 Ghz.

Who said it has not started yet? last I heard the main guy finally had the solo he needed. That was about a month ago. My understanding was there were only a couple small problems that he felt could be dealt with.

Besides you do know that Philip has been running solo on master for a while right?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44