Wind prevented orbit shot

Reaction score
Website
edbeckphotography.com
Just posting this because I thought it interesting.

I was out at one of my usual shoots on Monday, one of the shots I do is an orbit around the site. The wind was so strong that my Solo flew an ellipse instead of a circle, and it couldn't keep the camera pointed at the center.

When it came back around it was able to re-orient to the center and fly the normal arc, but once again when it came to the second half of the orbit it couldn't hang in there.

Just sayin...

Any idea of the windspeed that caused the orbit issues? I've had mine in conditions up to 25mph sustained and possibly gusting up close to 30 which made landing a little stressful as it was getting pushed across the ground a bit but the copter performed without a hitch.

Same here, 32 MPH & it flew a CC shot perfect. Although, Gust would move the bird a bit, but it kept it's track.
At he beach, its consistent wind speed (15 to 30) But, gust can pop up anytime.

I don't know for sure how the winds were, in the 30 MPH range.

I notice that you both said you flew CCs, I was flying an orbit defined in Tower. Earlier that day I flew an area of interest Tower flight with no problems.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Phantom in 20mph sustained winds... not a good idea to fly anything.

Mic Bergsma in 26mph wind

I notice that you both said you flew CCs, I was flying an orbit defined in Tower. Earlier that day I flew an area of interest Tower flight with no problems.
Both CC & Orbits shot are computer controlled points in space. No difference.

Last edited:
Here's a top and bottom of the orbit shot on a high and low wind day.

That's what I was thinking.
I've had the same experience, getting pushed into an ellipse while doing an orbit with wind speeds in mid to high 20's. My guess is that if your CC or other smart shot maintains a consistent orientation and heading relative to the wind direction then all is good. With an orbit, the relative orientation and heading change and the autopilot lags behind. Like I said, that's just a guess at what's happening.

Just curious- can Tower control an orbit better than a Solo smart shot? Especially in the wind. I suppose a test would be necessary, but your post got me to wondering.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M