What is the recommended max wind speed to fly in?

Reaction score
Website
www.jlphotocreative.com
The reason I ask about wind or breeze is that I see a lot of videos along coast line etc but it's always windy here. Not excessively but I want to shoot some video off of the harbour groin and of course there's a stiff breeze.

Solo app says 7.5kmh but I'm sure it's higher.

I want to orbit a small lighthouse at the harbour entrance.

I've successfully taken decent smart shots in a 22 mph wind. There's just a bit more shake than in calm shot.
That being said, as an old-school RCer, I get very uncomfortable when it's higher that 15 mph and prefer under ten.
Also remember it absolutely destroys battery life. It's really amazing to watch Solo what up there battling wind, but don't forget that your battery is now draining as if launched with half a charge - and that, through no true mistake of anyone at all - the wind can very abruptly increase.
That right there is what makes me leery of any type of smart shots (or Tower missions) in anything but light winds.the fact is, Solo returns home more slowly in GPS mode, and... well... it guinely scares me that it might not have enough speed to get home.. You'd need to be sure manual could be engaged instantly, and that you have the requisite skill for a successful homecoming.

I suppose its whatever you feel comfortable flying in, given that at some stage during the flight you may have to take manual control.
I can vouch for the 22mph, I have flown in 20 knots, about 22mph, and Solo was ok, handled it fine.
Im old school RC as well, so take it easy of you are still mastering contol.
A friend with a P3pro was struggling on the same day and got blown uncontrollably downwind several times (and Im not interested in comparison arguments, theres enough of that on RCG)

I'm with Roland. Whatever is within your comfort zone. Page 4 of the SOLO manual says a 25mph limitation under operating parameters. Personally, I've felt anxious in 15mph winds even though SOLO was handling those just fine.

Any idea how strong the wind is on average at that location? Maybe some morning flights before the atmosphere warms?

I flew at the coast with 15 - 20 mph winds, and although flying wasn't too bad, landing with the gusts was kinda hairy. No way did I auto land, and there was a bit of a pucker power landing in manual. I did get some real good shots, but I would hesitate to do it again in those conditions.

3DR says top windspeed is 40mph/30 knots. FAQ | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

I've flown in about 30mph in the Columbia River Gorge. One thing to note...IF you lose GPS and have to switch to manual, it will be a bitch in the middle of high winds if you aren't adept at flying manual.

Just an update... yesterday I flew in an area away from the coast in some pretty gusty conditions. The App said 17.5kph but the gusts were probably 25kph +. Because it wasn't constant - the resulting video, even with the gimbal showed that the drone was desperately trying to remain stable, however because I was at close quarters to my subject (within 10 - 15m) the foreground to background parallax movement is quite evident. I was reluctant to fly higher because there were a couple of large trees nearby that were indicating high winds at about 20m.

It proved a point though, the winds were probably a little stronger than when I posed the OP. Only this time I wasn't out over the ocean!!

I will post a video later of the 1 x battery flight I did.

I was just in Puerto Rico and I was flying coast line with a sustain wind of 40 mph it was tough to get a real good still shoot but it was do able. Make sure you have extra battery's it will use a little more power. I personally recommend no more then 30 mph as long as your not close to the ground or objects. Also you will need to have the gimbal!

I was just in Puerto Rico and I was flying coast line with a sustain wind of 40 mph it was tough to get a real good still shoot but it was do able. Make sure you have extra battery's it will use a little more power. I personally recommend no more then 30 mph as long as your not close to the ground or objects. Also you will need to have the gimbal!
Thanks Rob, Yeah - after flying yesterday I have a higher degree of confidence to fly a coastline route, but I will pick my day and wind speed to be in my favor!

I have flown in about 18mph sustained wind with 22mph gusts. Solo handled it fairly well, but the gusts do however push solo around some. It al boils down to your skill level and flight confidence. Taking off and flying solo in higher winds is not bad even for a newer pilot, but landing is a whole new story. Be prepared to make sudden corrections and do not count of auto land to put you down safely.

Reactions: Rob Neal
Flying in 25kt gusts. Solo getting a lot of turbulence. Also it would depend on you speed. If it is trying to fly at 30 mph and also maintain altitude to a waypoint it could exceed the max tilt angle which will make it buck as it continues on its way. Landing above 25 mph gets a bit tricky some times.

I am sure it would fly in 30 mph but it's heating up the motors and battery.

I test my batteries yesterday hovering in 25 gusts.

Found two bad ones out of 6. One had faded on me bad so I tested them. The one that faded out lasted less than 2 minutes on the test. The other bad one lasted 10 minutes. The others lasted 15 minutes.

With good batteries I'm flying a distance of 1 mile out down 1/4 mile, one mile back up and back to home. Up to 3.5 miles. With gusts at 25 battery is around 30% remaining.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc